E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > An idea-

12-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
An idea-

What if we had someone sift through and find one of the longest and/or best threads for each of the common modification topics to make a sticky so that we don't have half the slightly to extremely angering (depending on how long someone has been on the forum, their temper, whatever) redundancy. Such an organizational idea could better help those who are new and those who aren't perhaps.

I vote we have someone who loves these forums, has thousands of posts to back their undying passion for this community, etc. or anyone to submit different existing threads to make stickys for the following categories:

Everything related to
1) air intakes
2) FMICs
3) DPs
4) midpipes/exhausts
5) CPs/BOVs/DDVs
6) water/meth injection

Without really thinking too hard, the benefits off the top of my head would be:
1) less contention (wishful thinking maybe)
2) less redundancy
3) information would be better organized, leading to (hopefully) a more informed community as a whole
4) newer people would learn easier and faster
5) we wouldnt have to see people crying "search" so much

This can't be a unique idea by any means, but I don't understand why with all of the complaining about people needing to search, read, people claiming they did, etc... that this simple solution to the forum's most common problem hasn't been taken care of to make this place more functional as a whole.

The information doesn't change, and there never seems to be an end to those "which intake/FMIC/DPs would be best for my car" threads.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
soulja620
Cpl D
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

A necessity
      12-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

First of all, you would always have the author's bias. Even when I talk about things that I don't care about at all I have a bias.

You would also have to update the original post to include any new products or revisions.

We can never agree what is best lol. But if it was purely factual then perhaps it would work.

People tend to not read sticky's lol.

But you know what. Maybe if we made a PDF file of all the popular modifications and posted it in a locked sticky then it might work. That way it can't be cluttered with arguing. And anyone can download it. So if the original creator leaves the community, someone else can begin to modify it and keep it alive and updated. That way we can just post the link to the PDF when people ask these questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
First of all, you would always have the author's bias. Even when I talk about things that I don't care about at all I have a bias.

You would also have to update the original post to include any new products or revisions.

We can never agree what is best lol. But if it was purely factual then perhaps it would work.

People tend to not read sticky's lol.

But you know what. Maybe if we made a PDF file of all the popular modifications and posted it in a locked sticky then it might work. That way it can't be cluttered with arguing. And anyone can download it. So if the original creator leaves the community, someone else can begin to modify it and keep it alive and updated. That way we can just post the link to the PDF when people ask these questions.
All things true Brey. In all humility, I propose that we are okay to have biases... Generally speaking, everyone will rep what they know, which is biased to what they have in a majority of cases. Probably. I don't think its necessary that we all agree what is best, hell... let people rant and rave about what and why they "feel" part x or y is better. As long as we can consolidate the arguments/discussions/feelings/proof to one thread for each topic I bet we all clean this place up a ton in doing so, as people will slowly learn to reference the "intake sticky" when they want to know what everyone feels or shows is best, why, pictures of what it looks like, which options are out there, what data supports each option, etc. We can keep it as simple as all intake information belonging to one thread, or we can have some e90post allstars continually update their original post with new products, dyno charts, logs, or whatever else anyone wants to put.

however we want to do this, so long as it gets done... Im happier, I know that everyone who's ever posted is happier, and people can sift through pages upon pages of arguments, feelings, pictures and proof of all of our popular modification options so that there aren't multiple "which x is best" "thinking about putting DPs on my car but which should I do" "what do I need to know about FMICs" threads being created daily.

We can all be bitches and reference them to the sticky thread pertaining to their simple/beginner inquiries and let their over played thread fall promptly out of sight.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

The only problem with this is that even if it is a sticky, people will still just ignore it. I have seen 4 seperate "what's the best intake" threads on the 1st page at the same time.
I love the idea and i'd love to see the mods actually do something constructive for a change, but i dont see it changing much. I think an "official mods list" that is kept up to date would help alleviate the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
How about something like a Wiki page that anyone can edit?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
You'd have everyone editing it to reflect what they like. Lol.

The problem is that if I wrote a little article about tunes, only including the positives of each tune, people would still ask about the negatives. And you have to present which one is better because if not then people will ask which one is better

It would take the most unbiased author in the world to write this thing haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
a wiki page done right could be a great idea, same with PDFs, stickies that are well maintained... a collaboration of efforts to reduce redundancy and increase the ease of reading information pertinent to the same beginner questions that compose at least three quarters of the threads on this forum. Bear in mind people, I'm not hating in the slightest. I love car forums, I just feel like they're not being utilized to their best potential, which could potentially be causing a slower platform development as everyone's attention is drawn to the same damn topics over and over and over and over...

this horse is paper thin.

To me, all of this regurgitation and redundancy just creates needy people, upset feelings, sarcasm, misinformation, etc. There are enough customer driven miles and opinions and even data probably (feelings surely) about each of the main products of each common type of bolt on that for whatever reason... I believe we could all get a lot further and get smarter if the same simple questions aren't beat dead over and over. Maybe better organized information could result in a more cohesive and better informed community. Maybe it could further progress, allow people to spend their time worrying about bigger things than whether or not they got the right FMIC to complement their tune and DCI? IDK...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Ok... So 139 views until now and only 4 people have given this idea a consideration? I'll be really sad to see this fall by the way side and see so many "new" threads created on the same topics over and over again. I could be wrong, but...

If we made stickies that addressed some of the same common questions and concerns that have been coming up over and over since I started reading these forums in late 2008... And organized them by part, we could organize the wealth of experience opinions data feelings and organization, and would have a better informed community, less people on the nipple and more feeding themselves.

Maybe I'm the only one who sees the potential benefits here, but I'd love to take a small break from talking about which intake gains the most hp to have everyone come together on how to increase progress by reducing redundancy...

Perhaps, to try to get this to snowball a bit more, the following could be done (using air intakes as the example since I've seen like 6 threads this week on intakes)

1) a comprehensive list of all air intake options for the n54 engine, including links to each vendor's website, maybe a picture if people decide they'd like that, and then other links from e90post's vast archives related to air intakes. Perhaps we could create a FAQ section to the OP with links to previous threads that already addressed these too frequently asked questions, decreasing the need to tell people to search, helping the search-inept, etc.

This format would keep things pretty simple, we wouldn't need to rewrite what's already written, and we could make it easier for people to learn what's already been learned without having to keep these same topics as fresh as they are somehow staying.

Again, I'm not trying to be negative on anyone who is new and posting about whether or not they should get downpipes and whether or not they would void warranty... I'm trying to get everyone together to all collectively make an effort to get "next level" with our passion/hobby for cars and more powerful N54s.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
Audizine has a system like this for each of the chassis models with information on features, available colors, options, aftermarket modification and service as well. Very detailed and any Audizine member can edit it.

I have never seen prank editing before but that said, misinformation pops up occasionally. Real-world dyno tests may discover than a certain intake makes 8hp on a B6 1.8t for example, but then some boy racer reads an advertised 30hp gain on an ebay listing and assuming that the article is wrong, edits it.

The big problems that I see are with bias, misinformation and with the fact that most people won't read it anyway. Even with this solution in place Audizine experiences twenty "which intake" threads per day.
Appreciate 0