E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How to prime oil system after doing OFHG?

09-23-2022, 11:12 AM   #1
Chrisguilday
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i

How to prime oil system after doing OFHG?

Hey guys, I have a 2011 E93 N55.

I forgot to pull the fuel pump fuse before changing my OFHG, so now even if I pull that fuse my car will still start for a while until it finally runs out of gas. So what fuse can I pull to stop the engine from starting? Is there a fuel injector fuse?

I’ve tried looking at the fuse box diagram in the glovebox, there is supposedly a #39 fuse for the fuel injectors according to this other online diagram, but that fuse is already missing for my car, so clearly that’s not the right one.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 11:54 AM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

I do it by disconnecting the fuel injector connectors. I believe that's what the BMW document also states to do even though there are other ways like you mention.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 12:10 PM   #3
Chrisguilday
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I do it by disconnecting the fuel injector connectors. I believe that's what the BMW document also states to do even though there are other ways like you mention.
So you mean the little coil pack connections, right? They just flip up and the connector slides out. If so that’s what I just did. How long should I let the motor turn over?

Also my dumbass broke the crank case vent / vacuum hose that connects to the air intake… the little hose that goes from the air intake to the left side of the engine. This piece https://a.co/d/7BnZnya

So now I have to buy a new one of those. Damn it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisguilday View Post
So you mean the little coil pack connections, right? They just flip up and the connector slides out. If so that’s what I just did. How long should I let the motor turn over?

Also my dumbass broke the crank case vent / vacuum hose that connects to the air intake… the little hose that goes from the air intake to the left side of the engine. This piece https://a.co/d/7BnZnya

So now I have to buy a new one of those. Damn it.
No like you write, those are coil packs haha. I'm talking about the fuel injector electrical connectors. Not the coil pack.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 09-23-2022 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 12:27 PM   #5
Chrisguilday
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No like you write, those are coil packs haha. I'm talking about the fuel injector electrical connectors. Not the coil pack.
Oh… well that works too right? I mean the engine doesn’t start haha. I’m sure that does the same thing, right? As long as the engine turns over. Is the oil pumped mechanically?

I just want to make sure that disconnecting the coil packs doesn’t somehow also stop the engines ability to pump the oil, which I’m sure we’re good to go, but I’m not super knowledgeable on this stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 12:35 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisguilday View Post
Oh… well that works too right? I mean the engine doesn’t start haha. I’m sure that does the same thing, right? As long as the engine turns over. Is the oil pumped mechanically?

I just want to make sure that disconnecting the coil packs doesn’t somehow also stop the engines ability to pump the oil, which I’m sure we’re good to go, but I’m not super knowledgeable on this stuff.
But yeah if no spark it won't fire so I guess that works as well. I assume the car won't just keep shooting fuel either.

If it turns it pumps the oil yeah.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 12:43 PM   #7
Chrisguilday
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
But yeah if no spark it won't fire so I guess that works as well. I assume the car won't just keep shooting fuel either.

If it turns it pumps the oil yeah.
My next post will be how to fix a flooded engine 😅

Well I’m almost done then. Thanks for your help. Gotta go pickup a crankcase vent hose from oreilly’s.

I didn’t change the oil when doing the OFHG, but I did change the filter, so I put some extra oil in the filter area. Hopefully I did this right and my car doesn’t explode in 100 miles.
Appreciate 0