E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Outside temp probe

11-20-2022, 11:39 AM   #1
Bobbych
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series 320d 2010

Outside temp probe

In theast few days my outside temp is playing up. It starts off fine but then will start to drop and will go suddenly to 1.5 Deg then to -4 degrees , and -12 degrees. It then slowly works it way back to normal temp, sits there for a few mins then drops down again.

Is this a fault probe?

If so, I've read I need to remove the bumper to replace it. This would be a fairly easy task but the bolts on the under tray that attach to the bumper are either totally rusted or the anchor nuts are spinning so they are a job I will get round to eventually and grind them off and replace them

But for now, is it possible to replace the temp sensor without removing the bumper? I read you canxremove one grill but how easy is that, has anyone done it
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #2
Styvy
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330D LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbych View Post
In theast few days my outside temp is playing up. It starts off fine but then will start to drop and will go suddenly to 1.5 Deg then to -4 degrees , and -12 degrees. It then slowly works it way back to normal temp, sits there for a few mins then drops down again.

Is this a fault probe?

If so, I've read I need to remove the bumper to replace it. This would be a fairly easy task but the bolts on the under tray that attach to the bumper are either totally rusted or the anchor nuts are spinning so they are a job I will get round to eventually and grind them off and replace them

But for now, is it possible to replace the temp sensor without removing the bumper? I read you canxremove one grill but how easy is that, has anyone done it

Hey mate,

Usually its a temp sensor itself. its 3-4 quid. The only other issue I encountered is corossion in the cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:02 AM   #3
Bobbych
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series 320d 2010

Update

I have put purchased a new sensor but not fitted it yet, BUT I noticed today as I had my av MPG showing at the same time, is when my temp suddenly dropped from 6 to -1.5 and I got the warning for ice, my MPG also dropped from 55 to 23. I assume the issue is electric and linked ? Any ideas before I change the sensor for no reason ?
Appreciate 0