E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Reliability of deleted 335D?

02-03-2020, 11:24 PM   #1
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Reliability of deleted 335D?

Hey all. Owned an e90 328i in the past. Now own an f30 335i. I daily a Honda Civic but I am kinda in love with the sound of a deleted 335d (sounds a lot like my buddies ram 2500 cummins.

Anyhow, I was wondering what the common issues with this car would be provided I found one that was deleted. I know diesels suffer from the emissions systems. I don't want to get out of a perfectly reliably civic for one if it's going to be a nightmare. The 328 had starter, water pump, VCG etc issues and I am just wondering what your take on this is. I'd love to daily a 335d and have a 335i as a weekend car. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Hey all. Owned an e90 328i in the past. Now own an f30 335i. I daily a Honda Civic but I am kinda in love with the sound of a deleted 335d (sounds a lot like my buddies ram 2500 cummins.

Anyhow, I was wondering what the common issues with this car would be provided I found one that was deleted. I know diesels suffer from the emissions systems. I don't want to get out of a perfectly reliably civic for one if it's going to be a nightmare. The 328 had starter, water pump, VCG etc issues and I am just wondering what your take on this is. I'd love to daily a 335d and have a 335i as a weekend car. Thanks in advance.
I love my bmw 335d but it ain't no civic, and I don't ever want it to be. Diesels are very reliable, but you need to take care of them and do preventative maintenance. And preventative maintenance does add up. There's lots of information on the goods and bads and there's just about every maintenance item talked about on these m57 engines here on the forum some with diy on how to do it. The more you do yourself and the cheaper it will be to maintain.
      02-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
I don't think you will consistently pass inspection with a deleted D in NJ. While all the errors could be coded out, if they ever look under the car, it's "modifications' may be figured out.

The emissions systems are not necessarily unreliable. I'm still 100% stock and have no issues at all. DEF tank and NOx sensor was replaced under warranty several years ago, but that's about it emission related. The only things I do that may be considered special is to 1) only use top tier fuel; 2) never use any additives; and 3) avoid short trips with the D whenever possible (aka - use the other car).

Very true, if not deleted it will never sound like a cummins, but it still has it's own unique sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
Quote:
I don't think you will consistently pass inspection with a deleted D in NJ. While all the errors could be coded out, if they ever look under the car, it's "modifications' may be figured out.

The emissions systems are not necessarily unreliable. I'm still 100% stock and have no issues at all. DEF tank and NOx sensor was replaced under warranty several years ago, but that's about it emission related. The only things I do that may be considered special is to 1) only use top tier fuel; 2) never use any additives; and 3) avoid short trips with the D whenever possible (aka - use the other car).

But very true, if not deleted it will never sound like a cummins, but it still has it's own unique sound.
Do cars have different emissions standards than trucks? My friends with diesels are all deleted and continuously pass in NJ. And this car would be used for work travel to and from philly so minimum trips would be typically 90 miles each way.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But very true, if not deleted it will never sound like a cummins, but it still has it's own unique sound.
Do cars have different emissions standards than trucks? My friends with diesels are all deleted and continuously pass in NJ. And this car would be used for work travel to and from philly so minimum trips would be typically 90 miles each way.
Yes. I want to say 3/4 ton and up are emissions exempt in most states
      02-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #6
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes. I want to say 3/4 ton and up are emissions exempt in most states
Damn so they sniff test 335ds in most states... that about kills my desire to get one then unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 09:25 PM   #7
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn so they sniff test 335ds in most states... that about kills my desire to get one then unfortunately
Some states do a visual inspection and check for engine lights, some states check for emissions readiness via obdII, some do sniff tests.

Depends on what you're state does
      02-04-2020, 10:09 PM   #8
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Quote:
Some states do a visual inspection and check for engine lights, some states check for emissions readiness via obdII, some do sniff tests.

Depends on what you're state does
Yeah and if the rules change while I own a deleted car I'm screwed lol. Thanks for the info everyone I'll decide what I'm gonna do
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:45 PM   #9
ddinse
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328d x drive

Move to PA.....
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:28 PM   #10
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinse View Post
Move to PA.....
I think NJ is fine as of now. But I worry about what happens if they change it lol. Going to be quite hard selling a deleted car if it won't pass any state emissions
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:54 PM   #11
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Quote:
Move to PA.....
I think NJ is fine as of now. But I worry about what happens if they change it lol. Going to be quite hard selling a deleted car if it won't pass any state emissions
Quote:
Quote:
Move to PA.....
you delete don't plan on ever selling it
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:57 AM   #12
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Especially since bmw stopped offering diesels in the US
      02-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #13
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Just FYI. NJ does not sniff OBD2 cars anymore. For the diesel it's check paperwork, plug into OBD2 looking for error codes or any systems not ready, running over mirrors to visually inspect underneath, and that's it. Because the fuel tank is atmospherically vented, they skip the fuel tank vapor leak test that would be performed on a gasoline powered car.

At some point I'll be selling my D. My driving profile has changed to mostly short trips that I avoid using the D for, thus does it not get much use anymore. However every time I get on the highway and it effortlessly purrs (that diesel sound) along, I think it's not time yet.

Last edited by kbsilver; 02-05-2020 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 04:08 PM   #14
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just FYI. NJ does not sniff OBD2 cars anymore. For the diesel it's check paperwork, plug into OBD2 looking for error codes or any systems not ready, running over mirrors to visually inspect underneath, and that's it. Because the fuel tank is atmospherically vented, they skip the fuel tank vapor leak test that would be performed on a gasoline powered car.

At some point I'll be selling my D. My driving profile has changed to mostly short trips that I avoid using the D for, thus does it not get much use anymore. However every time I get on the highway and it effortlessly purrs (that diesel sound) along, I think it's not time yet.
Won't they see the missing DPF on the mirror check though?
Appreciate 0