E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC iDrive Continually Restarting After Map Update

03-15-2020, 04:08 AM   #1
commissioner
Rep
Drives: Car

CIC iDrive Continually Restarting After Map Update

Just wondering if anyone might be able to help. I'd previously successfully updated to the 2018 Maps and have just tried to do the update to the 2020 Maps.

The update completed (although I did see it jump from around 70% to 100%) and restart like normal. But since that restart my iDrive now continually reboots every 30-45 seconds. Does anyone have any ideas or have something similar?

I did the update whilst driving this time which is the only difference from when I completed the update but I didn't think this would cause an issue.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Remove the hard drive and see if the CIC keeps rebooting after you start it.

If it stops doing, so you know what the issue is.

Note many functions will not operate with the hard drive removed including navigation.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 06:23 AM   #3
commissioner
Rep

The car would not co-operate very much which I think was partly down to the constant rebooting but in INPA I did notice that it was listing the following items that I thought were odd:
- Audio System Controller CCC
- Computer / CCC (Application)
- Gateway / MOST/CAN CCC
- Navigation System / Japan

I imagine the top 3 listed items should all say CIC given that my car is a CIC car and that navigation system should list Australia since my car was Australian delivered and the maps loaded were for Australia 2020.

Would these be the cause and is it possible to re-code/correct these items?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
commissioner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by commissioner View Post
The car would not co-operate very much which I think was partly down to the constant rebooting but in INPA I did notice that it was listing the following items that I thought were odd:
- Audio System Controller CCC
- Computer / CCC (Application)
- Gateway / MOST/CAN CCC
- Navigation System / Japan

I imagine the top 3 listed items should all say CIC given that my car is a CIC car and that navigation system should list Australia since my car was Australian delivered and the maps loaded were for Australia 2020.

Would these be the cause and is it possible to re-code/correct these items?
Another thought I had but haven't had a chance to test this yet was would it work if I put the drive into a CCC vehicle and re-coded to for a CIC car? Hoping this might mean the system stays on long enough to access it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:26 AM   #5
opjose
Major
Rep

No CCC does appear even if you have a CIC.

Have you tried pulling the drive?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:19 AM   #6
commissioner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
No CCC does appear even if you have a CIC.

Have you tried pulling the drive?
Finally managed to pull the drive and after pulling the drive the iDrive system remains on and all functions appears to work other than nav. So the issue must be data on the drive itself.

Is there a way to get the standard software?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 11:03 PM   #7
opjose
Major
Rep

The best thing for you to do is to clone the drive.

Look for the thread about replacing the HDD with an SSD as that has all of the instructions.

Typically the drive is starting to fail when you get to this point but can of then still be read outside of the CIC.

It will be important for you to make sure the drive has ample power and is kept relatively cool as you clone it. That gives your computer the best change of reading all or almost all of the sectors.

You should then install the new drive and perform a map update.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #8
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Finally managed to pull the drive and after pulling the drive the iDrive system remains on and all functions appears to work other than nav. So the issue must be data on the drive itself.

Is there a way to get the standard software?
I would try to clone your existing drive first, I have an image from mine I can share, but is for a US car, would need fully coded to your car as it would be just like buying a used one and coding it in and would need local maps uploaded to it, but if you need it pm me and I can share.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 03:46 AM   #9
commissioner
Rep

So even though the drive appears to be fine, it may be failing? I would have thought a diagnostic scan would show bad sectors, etc if that was the case.

I'll need to track down a replacement drive so that I can do that then. The drive appeared to spin up fine but for now has been left out of the car to prevent further damage
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:22 AM   #10
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
So even though the drive appears to be fine, it may be failing? I would have thought a diagnostic scan would show bad sectors, etc if that was the case.

I'll need to track down a replacement drive so that I can do that then. The drive appeared to spin up fine but for now has been left out of the car to prevent further damage
No the drive is failing which is why your system is rebooting.

At some point the CIC is hitting bad sectors which halt all IO to the drive as the drive's own mechanism keeps retrying to read those bad areas.

The CIC keeps buffering reads or writes until an overflow error condition exists and the OS crashes causing a reboot. Diagnostics do not show these errors.

Sometimes you'll get a good read of those failing sectors when the drive is cool and has not been in operation.

A best case for you is that you get a 100% clone of the drive onto a new one.

Next down, you'll get a somewhat extensive clone of the drive but you'll get errant sector reads. Since the navigation area on the drive is one of the largest, reloading the maps onto your new cloned drive can cure data errors that may arise.

What you are hoping for is that the partition that has your FSC codes can be read to the point that all the permission data moves over to the new drive.

If you can get the FSC containing partition, then at worst you can grab a drive image from someone else, write that out to your new drive, then restore the FSC partition over that same drive.

Worst case is that you can recover little to no data and that can be problematic.

I cloned my drive, kept the original have have the image on hand just in case the SSD I am running ever fails.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:33 AM   #11
commissioner
Rep

Quote:
No the drive is failing which is why your system is rebooting.

At some point the CIC is hitting bad sectors which halt all IO to the drive as the drive's own mechanism keeps retrying to read those bad areas.

The CIC keeps buffering reads or writes until an overflow error condition exists and the OS crashes causing a reboot. Diagnostics do not show these errors.

Sometimes you'll get a good read of those failing sectors when the drive is cool and has not been in operation.

A best case for you is that you get a 100% clone of the drive onto a new one.

Next down, you'll get a somewhat extensive clone of the drive but you'll get errant sector reads. Since the navigation area on the drive is one of the largest, reloading the maps onto your new cloned drive can cure data errors that may arise.

What you are hoping for is that the partition that has your FSC codes can be read to the point that all the permission data moves over to the new drive.

If you can get the FSC containing partition, then at worst you can grab a drive image from someone else, write that out to your new drive, then restore the FSC partition over that same drive.

Worst case is that you can recover little to no data and that can be problematic.

I cloned my drive, kept the original have have the image on hand just in case the SSD I am running ever fails.
So the next step is to track down another drive (or SSD) and attempt to clone the drive it seems.

Is it possible to partition out the drive? I have a friend with another LCI E92 with a working iDrive so in theory could try recovering his navigation partition onto my drive and seeing if that rectifies the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:10 AM   #12
commissioner
Rep

I have also just purchased the following taking reference from Jagaer's thread and what I can manage to get in Australia at the moment:
- Ableconn IIDE-MSAT mSATA SSD to 2.5-Inch IDE Adapter Converter
- Samsung 128GB SSD mSATA SM841
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:03 AM   #13
opjose
Major
Rep

I not sure what you mean by the partition comment.

You can clone your own drive onto a new drive.

At worst you may need to tell the cloning software to skip bad sectors.

That can corrupt the data in one or more partitions but you may end up with a properly partitioned drive.

If during that process you get all of your FSC code data, you don't really care if the navigation partition has bad data. At that point you would insert a USB drive with a map update and let the CIC fix the corrupt navigation data when it overwrites it.

Grabbing a copy of a friend's navigation partition should only be tried if the above does not work but you may still have to update the maps... assuming your FSC partition is ok.

If at worst your FSC partition is corrupt and unreadable then you'll need a copy of someone else's drive of the same vintage hardware and software.

You will then have to deal with obtaining FSC codes.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 06:45 AM   #14
commissioner
Rep

I cloned the drive onto an SSD using Jaeger's guide and the system still reboots as before
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:32 PM   #15
opjose
Major
Rep

Ugh, so it may be that the donor drive's data is corrupt and causing the reboots, or there is a bigger issue with the CIC drive interface.

To help rule out the latter, reformat the SSD and make sure you write zeros to it to blank it out, then install it back into the car.

The car should act as it did when you pulled the drive and started the car with no drive installed.

If it does the CIC is ok and there are no electrical issues.

You will not have NAV, etc. as before but the CIC should work otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 06:05 AM   #16
commissioner
Rep

Quote:
Ugh, so it may be that the donor drive's data is corrupt and causing the reboots, or there is a bigger issue with the CIC drive interface.

To help rule out the latter, reformat the SSD and make sure you write zeros to it to blank it out, then install it back into the car.

The car should act as it did when you pulled the drive and started the car with no drive installed.

Sorry Jose hadn't seen your reply.

The data I had used was from the original drive not a donor vehicle, been a bit difficult to get hold of the other car for long enough to do everything.

So it seems likely that it is the drive that is at fault, is the data available anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 12:31 PM   #17
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

since you have all the things to access the drive, I would put your image back on the ssd, then use the QNX virtual machine to run the QNX file system tool.

http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6...2Fchkfsys.html

It may repair the damged file system data, if that's the problem.

I could certainly drop you my CIC image, but that will definitely require some soft of hackery to make work. at best just FSC codes.
At worst? Who knows. Maybe just using my images partition table and then copying over the relevant files for your CIC.

I've not really looked into the file system passed what it took to expand the partitions to my SSD replacement.

edit:
I'm assuming you created a disk image when you cloned it, and still have that image.
If you did a direct disk to disk clone, make an image. The less you mess with a failing drive the better.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #18
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry Jose hadn't seen your reply.

The data I had used was from the original drive not a donor vehicle, been a bit difficult to get hold of the other car for long enough to do everything.

So it seems likely that it is the drive that is at fault, is the data available anywhere?
Look for the thread called "software help yourself".

There is a CIC drive image there.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 02:05 AM   #19
commissioner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
since you have all the things to access the drive, I would put your image back on the ssd, then use the QNX virtual machine to run the QNX file system tool.

http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6...2Fchkfsys.html

It may repair the damged file system data, if that's the problem.

I could certainly drop you my CIC image, but that will definitely require some soft of hackery to make work. at best just FSC codes.
At worst? Who knows. Maybe just using my images partition table and then copying over the relevant files for your CIC.

I've not really looked into the file system passed what it took to expand the partitions to my SSD replacement.

edit:
I'm assuming you created a disk image when you cloned it, and still have that image.
If you did a direct disk to disk clone, make an image. The less you mess with a failing drive the better.
I did create an image when I copied it and do still have that image.

I haven't removed the image from it yet. I will try running the QNX file system tool and see how that goes.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 02:24 AM   #20
commissioner
Rep

Quote:
Look for the thread called "software help yourself".

There is a CIC drive image there.
I did have a look in there but must have missed it I'll have another look
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:04 PM   #21
commissioner
Rep

I just thought I would update the thread as I have now resolved this.

I made an image of my friend's working CIC that shared the same last working map data I had. Putting this onto a new drive worked and there was no need to re-enter the FSC code either.

Thanks to all for their help
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 11:10 PM   #22
opjose
Major
Rep

Wow excellent.

That means the issue was indeed the original drive and not the CIC itself.

Keep that image around just in case so you have a backup for your new drive.
Appreciate 0