E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > N00b questions, have mercy

01-25-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
orta
Registered
Rep
Drives: Want a 325d Coupe

N00b questions, have mercy

After opting out of my company car scheme I find myself for the first time looking at purchasing a car. I've been driving very dull low output diesel Audi saloons so promised myself I want to treat myself to a Coupe of some description.

Whilst I am based solely at the office now, not out in the field, I do a lot of personal miles so will still rack up 25000 to 30000 a year so will opt for a diesel. Also all my Audis have been triptronic/dsg so auto is a definite.

Which brings me to your good forum here. I've been trying and failing to use the search function here so was hoping people would bare with me and answer a few noobie questions?

My budget is £4500-5000 as the point of opting out is to save money so I don't want to be dropping any money at all on finance. For that kind of money I'm looking at a 130k+ mile 325d or 330d on around 08 to 10 plate.

What year did they switch to the N57 engine with the timing chain issues? I assume even on the older models here was a timing chain, when is that expected to be replaced ? (Or was it a cambelt?)

Are there any DPF, EGR or swirl flap issues to contend with?

Any other issues associated with higher mileage cars out of he ordinary ? Like "yeah the aux belts are only good for 50K" or "didn't you know all the 6 cylinder models have issues with their CD players at 170k"etc etc I know most of that kinda stuff is anecdotal but having a heads up will help me budget for preventative maintenance as opposed to discovering the issue whilst trying not to be late to the airport or on a French motorway etc etc

I know there's a lot of questions and for this I'm sorry but I really appreciate each and anyone who takes the time to read and respond.
      01-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

M57 and N57 engines both have timing chains. M57 generally doesnt have too many timing chain issues its more the N57 engines that you hear suffering.
The M57 325d and 330d Engines are slightly different, 325d has smaller injectors so develops less power even after a remap. You can put 535d injectors in but not 330d injectors stangely. Same turbo and intercooler tho. Also strangely the 325d has no swirl flaps so has a different inlet manifold from 330d. One irritating feature of the M57's is the design of the air filter housing. You have to remove both engine covers and fresh air microfilter housing under the windscreen. That's just to get at the air filter housing, you then have to undo 6 or so allen key screws, then you can finally get the filter out. This process can take about an hour..... Just to replace an air filter. Other than that its a great engine.
As for N57 the 325d and 330d are near identical mechanically. The 325d runs a different map so develops less power. However after a remap both versions will make the same power. The only difference between the two i have heard about is that the electronics in the ECU's are slightly different. No idea how or if that is true. Also the N57's have a much better design for where the air filter is, its as most other cars, unclip a cover and replace it. The EGR is a better design too so should give less issues i believe.

My advice is check for maintenance bills, anyone can say they have has it serviced, but always best to see lots of bills as proof as to what has been done. Regular oil services with decent parts should give a reliable runner. These cars will do big mileages without problem as long as they have been well maintained. A car with 160k wouldnt scare me if it had lots of service history,,id rather have that than a 70k car with little service history.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #3
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

M57 TU2 engines have an aluminium block, where the earlier versions are all iron. Aluminium block saves something daft like 20kg, and no downsides.

M57 timing chains, as well as being generally more durable, are on the front of the engine. The N57 ones are on the back, on the gearbox side. That said, I've not heard of may N57 chain failures (mainly just the rattly 4 pots that suffered), and while it's a big job, it's not the end of the world to replace them if they need it, and they should give you plenty warning if you pay attention.

Anything over 100k miles will imminently need a lot of suspension components replaced, if they haven't been already - something to bear in mind, when you're looking through service history....ask me how I know.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Not auto, but...
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1689251
Appreciate 0