E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d value?

02-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #23
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

As most of you knew, I sold my 335d a few months ago. This is the replacement: Misano Blue X2 M35i
Name:  IMG_2624.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  279.0 KB

Just for a last helping hand, these are the links for diesel repair (mostly SCR tank and system) that I have been saving. Sorry for the lack of labels.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25816625
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...light=bulletin
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=984485
http://xemodex.ca/ca/product/scr-con...eturn-for-bmw/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...2#post20485362
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1347948
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...forensics.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1161769
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:30 PM   #24
TYS335D
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Thank you so much for all of the knowledge that you've shared on this forum. I've only posted a couple of times, but I do follow a few of the discussions. You and I are among the few - maybe the only 2 - that have kept their 335Ds in original condition. I thought seriously about having the troublesome emissions equipment removed on mine, but in the end I decided it has plenty of power and I just like the car just the way it was when I bought it new. "Clean" is a benefit that I like.

Your new car looks beautiful. I am curious about your experience switching to the 4 cylinder engine and the electric power steering. I've been driving BMWs since 1986 and they've all had 6 or 8 cylinders and hydraulic steering. I'd like to get a new BMW like what you've done, but I'm intrepid about changes to the steering and engines. Basically, I've hung onto my 335D because there just isn't anything to replace it. Maintenance and repairs are very expensive, but our BMW dealer in this area is extraordinarily reliable, and it would cost far more to buy a new car than to repair my 335D no matter what goes wrong with it.

Best wishes with the new car and thanks again for all of your posts.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 11:07 PM   #25
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYS335D View Post
Your new car looks beautiful. I am curious about your experience switching to the 4 cylinder engine and the electric power steering. I've been driving BMWs since 1986 and they've all had 6 or 8 cylinders and hydraulic steering. I'd like to get a new BMW like what you've done, but I'm intrepid about changes to the steering and engines. Basically, I've hung onto my 335D because there just isn't anything to replace it. Maintenance and repairs are very expensive, but our BMW dealer in this area is extraordinarily reliable, and it would cost far more to buy a new car than to repair my 335D no matter what goes wrong with it.

Best wishes with the new car and thanks again for all of your posts.
A bit early to tell, but the EPS on the X2 seems pretty good. 4 banger makes some juice, but haven't gotten into it due to breakin. The steering is better than my wife's 328xd.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:08 AM   #26
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
.... You and I are among the few - maybe the only 2 - that have kept their 335Ds in original condition.....
You can make that 3. My 335D is bone stock, except for the bilstein B6 shocks (didn't think that counts). 111K miles and the only item out of warranty (so far) has been the glow plug controller.

I still have the original belts, hoses, harmonic damper, etc. I keep checking, but they keep looking fine. My only real maintenance are the routine oil/filter changes, fuel filter change every 30K-35K miles, and I did have fluid and filter change on the transmission. I've never used any fuel additives.

I keep thinking it's time to replace the car, but it looks new, and runs perfectly. When I hear that purr (diesel sound) it has on the highway I think - not yet.

The emissions/SCR system are fully intact. Ever since the ECU update at 50K miles with the warranty carbon cleaning, DEF usage has reduced to about 1 quart per 1000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #27
TYS335D
United_States
Rep

kbsilver, I think you've lucked out on repairs, based on my own experience and what I've read on this forum and elsewhere. I haven't kept track of my repair and maintenance costs, but they are I'd say that they total $15,000 or $20,000 or more over the 8.5 years and 154,000 miles. Bear in mind that except for tires, the BMW dealership does all of the repairs. Almost all of the repairs have been related to the Diesel exhaust system and problems caused by carbon build up. I will say that BMW of NA has reimbursed me for about $6,000 of the repairs because of various warranty extensions that they have provided. I spent around $3,500 to have the DEF tank replaced, but I got reimbursed for that entire expense. There was something called the FRM that was over $1,000 and I got reimbursed for that expense, too. Despite all of that, I still cannot part with the car. Nothing else in my experience drives like it. I guess I've driven it pretty gently since it still has the original brake pads and rotors on it, and they are not worn out. That I can tell, it doesn't use any oil between changes, which are 10,000+ miles apart.

floydarogers, I hope that you will stay in touch with the forum. I'm curious about why you decided that the time had come to let your 335D go. The one thing that makes me think about getting rid of mine is that I really don't trust it for a long trip. A few years ago, I was driving from Knoxville to Lincoln, NE and as I left my overnight stop in St. Louis a message came on the dashboard about incorrect Diesel exhaust fluid and a warning that the car would not restart after 200 miles (not 1,000 but 200). I successfully suppressed the reflex to shut it off at rest areas and made it to Lincoln, but I ended up having to leave the car there for repairs for a couple of weeks. I flew home and flew back when repairs were completed. Of course I've been a little disappointed that BMW didn't do a better job of debugging the car before they sold it to me, but it's still been one of my favorite cars that I've ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #28
kbsilver
Captain
Rep

TYS335D, Just to be complete and, for others that may be reading this, I did have the routine list of items that needed repair/replacement, but were all covered under extended warranty. This included EGR valve recall, one carbon cleaning with new intake, MAF, NOx sensor, DEF tank and a radio antenna amplifier.

I too drive on the gentle side and also try to avoid short trips. I changed the brake pads at 100K miles because thought it was time, although still had at least 1/3 pad left. The only out of warranty repair needed so far has been the glow plug controller which I did myself (not easy but possible). I got the car with 8K miles which was previously a service loaner.

Remember the 335D was BMW's experiment, and we were all helping BMW debug the new diesel emissions systems. Too bad after all our work and frustration BMW chose to dump diesels in the US (thanks to VW). I only wish BMW released a real BEV as quickly as they dumped the diesel. My replacement for the D will not have an internal combustion engine, and right now BMW has nothing to suit me.

Last edited by kbsilver; 02-29-2020 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 08:43 AM   #29
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Speaking of old-timers falling out. I, too, am sorry to see you go, Floyd but Congrats on the new ride!

I've been logging in again for the last few days because the wife just picked up an F15 X5d and I'm on the hunt for miscellaneous accessories. I will tell you: it's no 335d, but it is a great compliment for long-hauls and family driving (just can't get used to the steering & brake feel). My 335 isn't seeing much mileage lately because I'm driving a business-owned i3 everywhere, but I don't have the heart to sell it.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #30
TYS335D
United_States
Rep

I understand what you mean, kbsilver, about BMW having nothing suitable. The two that I've thought about as replacements for my 335D are the 440i with a 6-speed manual transmission and the 540. The 440 would be a ridiculous choice for me, and my interest in the 540 doesn't rise to the $65,000 level. I hope that floydarogers will check back in after he's driven his X2 for a while to let us know what he thinks about it after some time passes and he gets a few miles on it. We're probably all going to have to follow his lead and replace our 335Ds eventually.

The Service Engine Soon light on my 335D came on again this afternoon. It hasn't been on for several months. I don't know what's wrong with it, but I'm sure that it will cost hundreds (hopefully not thousands) of dollars to correct whatever the problem is. The car runs perfectly but I never know when the message is going to come on telling me that it won't start again after 200 miles. I know that if I had the emissions system removed that all of those problems would go away, but I still don't want the smoke, smell and noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #31
kbsilver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The Service Engine Soon light on my 335D came on again this afternoon. It hasn't been on for several months....
As you said guess I've been lucky. I think my SES has come on exactly 4 times in the 111K miles. Last time was a glow plug fault which is usually the glow plug controller (as it was in my case). Failure is quite common at higher mileage. There are aluminum wires inside between the circuit board and the connector. As it's bolted to the engine, vibration over the years causes these wires to crack and separate. This exact same controller is used by many brands, including Ford.

I was able to diagnose myself with a generic OBD code reader.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:45 PM   #32
Oogle44
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D E92 (Stage 1)

I love mine
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #33
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I got a leftover brand new 535d with only the necessary options after owning a 335d with sport package. The new car does everything better than the 335d except the steering, even with LCI improvements, is so-so. Its also not as tossable as the 335d but is faster, has better fuel economy, more comfortable, and with more sophisticated equipment/engineering. My main reason for the change, however, was the comfort factor and my large frame which the 5-er takes in better.
Appreciate 0