E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine Runs Poorly with Camshaft Sensor and VANOS Faults

01-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
max_335
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Engine Runs Poorly with Camshaft Sensor and VANOS Faults

Hi all. I have a problem with my car and was wondering if you guys could help me.

I have a E90 335i, totally stock, no mods what so ever. Around 6k miles on the clock and every time I run my car, I get the "check engine" warning light and my car goes into limp mode. The engine doesn't die but the car has a huge reduction in power. This happens every single time I start up and run my car.

I took it to the dealer and they scanned the car and came up with this error code, 2A82 - VANOS intake- stiff, jammed mechanically. The procedure was to replace the solenoids on the engine so we proceeded to have both solenoids changed. But after the solenoids were changed, the car still runs into limp mode and then we got the following errors as well as possible causes of the faults. I took a picture of it and attached it below.

One of the possibilities is an incorrect oil level. I have an oil cooler in my car, so would anyone out there know what the correct amount of oil would be for my car? The dealer put in around 6.5liters, around 6.8 quarts worth of oil into the engine. Is that too much? Too little?

The second item on the list said Y6275 Intake VANOS solenoid valve soiled or mechanically defective. Since we already changed to brand new solenoids, I'm willing to be good money, this isn't it anymore.

The third one is "VANOS adjustment unit for intake camshaft defective". Does anyone know what that means?

The fourth item is "incorrect chain length or chain tension". I'm assuming that this is the timing for the car? It that correct? What could have caused the chain tension get messed up? Also, wouldn't adjusting the timing for the engine mean I would have to open up the head? I really wouldn't want to do that since my car's still so young!

And lastly, it says "incorrect position of sensor wheel". Anyone out there know what that means?

I also hear a ticking noise coming from my engine. I only noticed it after I started experiencing the check engine light issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch everyone!
Attached Images

Last edited by max_335; 01-11-2008 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
max_335
Rep

This is the TSB for the solenoid replacement which the dealer followed, which sadly still didn't fix the problem. The computer and DME was even reset and reprogrammed with the latest versions.

---------------------

SI B 11 05 05
Engine
December 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B11 05 05 dated November 2006.

SUBJECT
N52 Engine Runs Poorly with Camshaft Sensor and VANOS Faults
MODEL
E90 (3 Series), E60 (5 Series) with N52 engine produced from 3/2005 through 6/2005
E90, E91 and E92 (3 Series) with N52KP and N54 engines from 7/2006 production
E85 and E84 (Z4) with N52 from 1/2006 production
E83 (X3) with N52 from 9/2006 production

SITUATION
Vehicles equipped with the N52, N52KP and N54 engines may be difficult to start, run rough and have the "Service Engine Soon" light illuminated.
Any of the following camshaft sensor or VANOS faults, as well as various misfire faults, may be stored in DME fault memory.

• 2A9A Cam sensor, inlet signal – signal invalid for synchronization

• 2A98 Crankshaft-inlet camshaft, correlation- Value outside reference range

• 2A82 VANOS intake- stiff, jammed mechanically

• 2A9B Cam sensor, exhaust signal – signal invalid for
synchronization

• 2A99 Crankshaft- exhaust camshaft, correlation- Value outside reference range

• 2A87 VANOS exhaust- stiff, jammed mechanically

CAUSE
VANOS solenoid valve is jammed or sticking.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, perform the diagnosis and repair procedure as described below.

PROCEDURE
E90 (3 Series), E60 (5 Series) with N52 only:
Remove the VANOS solenoid, intake or exhaust depending on the fault codes stored, and using shop air, gently blow out any visible particles and reinstall.
It is no longer necessary to replace the VANOS solenoid on the N52 Engine.
Reprogram the vehicle using CIP17.01 (Target data Status E89x-05-06-510), or higher for the E90 and Target data Status E060-05-06-500, or higher for the E60.

The modified MSV70 DME data contains additional VANOS solenoid activation logic to flush out any foreign particles.

E90, E91 and E92 (3 Series) with N52KP and N54 engine, E83, E85, E86 with N52 engine only:
Swap the faulted VANOS solenoid with the opposing solenoid to verify if the fault follows to opposing location. If the fault follows replace the VANOS solenoid.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number Description Quantity

11 36 7 516 293 VANOS Solenoid 1
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Defect Code Refer to KSD

Labor Operation: Refer to KSD

Labor Allowance: Refer to KSD
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_335 View Post
Hi all. I have a problem with my car and was wondering if you guys could help me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch everyone!
TAKE IT TO THE DEALER!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
max_335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
TAKE IT TO THE DEALER!
Already did! They're still figuring out whats wrong with it, which is why I'm asking if any of you guys could point me in the right direction to hopefully get my car up and running again. Anyone experience the same problem? Or any BMW Techs out there? Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #5
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Unfortunately in this case, if the technicians do not know what it is imediately, I suspect they will need to go down the list. I doubt the oil level is having an impact right now but still another reason why the lack of a dip stick is not desired.

I haven't looked at the chain tensioner but would assume it is somewhat fixed since it is a chain and not a belt.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
remydlc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 N55 MT/blue metal/red int.

ask for a new car!!!
      01-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

I went through exactly the same thing. The first two trips to the dealer they replaced the VANOS solenoid per the SIB. The third trip they opened a PUMA case with BMW tech support. Your dealer should do this. It may help to reference PUMA case 13859843.

The end result was:

"Replaced Crankshaft Center Hex Bolt, washer for Crankshaft Hub Unit"

"Replaced friction rings on Oil Pump Drive Chain Module"

I have no idea how these could possibly relate to the VANOS solenoid but everything has been fine now for 1300 miles (and it was only about 100 miles between the second and third trips to the shop).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I went through exactly the same thing. The first two trips to the dealer they replaced the VANOS solenoid per the SIB. The third trip they opened a PUMA case with BMW tech support. Your dealer should do this. It may help to reference PUMA case 13859843.

The end result was:

I have no idea how these could possibly relate to the VANOS solenoid but everything has been fine now for 1300 miles (and it was only about 100 miles between the second and third trips to the shop).

Thanks for your post. This might remidy the OP's situation.
      01-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
grkm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

wow I got those codes on my m3 with 140k on the clock.The chains are ok to drive with them loose,it just means the tentioner in the middle of them isnt working.The vanos is jammed so I would ask for a whole new unit and while there in there they might aswell change your cam shaft sensor.

I just hope they time your cams right when they swap out the vanos.

tell them you want a new vanos unit and a new chain tentioner.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
max_335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post

The end result was:

Did they have to open up your engine to get this fix done? Did you also hear a ticking sound coming from your engine? You wouldn't happen to have the part numbers of the hex bolt and washer would you? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
max_335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clean335i View Post
Thanks for your post. This might remidy the OP's situation.
Sorry, I'm a newbie, but what does OP stand for? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #12
max_335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
wow I got those codes on my m3 with 140k on the clock.The chains are ok to drive with them loose,it just means the tentioner in the middle of them isnt working.The vanos is jammed so I would ask for a whole new unit and while there in there they might aswell change your cam shaft sensor.

I just hope they time your cams right when they swap out the vanos.

tell them you want a new vanos unit and a new chain tentioner.
Did your car keep going on limp mode when you had a loose chain? Even if say its my tentioner thats loose, I can't drive the car cause it keeps kicking into limp mode.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into having my VANOS replaced. I hope it won't be too complicated to fix!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
max_335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remydlc View Post
ask for a new car!!!
I wish it was that easy! But sadly I'm stuck with this car some time.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #14
grkm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Did your car keep going on limp mode when you had a loose chain? Even if say its my tentioner thats loose, I can't drive the car cause it keeps kicking into limp mode.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into having my VANOS replaced. I hope it won't be too complicated to fix!
All mine happened at different times.Do you hear the chains rattling near the front of the engine?The tentioner is in the middle of the chains and will expand and contrack at given times depending on what the vanos is doing.If the vanos is retarding the cams the chains will become loose and rattle against the bottom of the casing.The tentioner expands in the middle to exanp the chains from scraping.

just be glad that its under warenty.I had to drop around 1400 and did it at a friends shop.The vanos unit was like 500 on its own.

you might just have something jammed up and the ecu is throwing all the codes.

I remember getting the cam sensor code and we didnt change it and just changed out the vanos unit and they all went away.

You could have something loose in there that jammed up the vanos.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP 335, Now P30 C63

Quote:
I wish it was that easy! But sadly I'm stuck with this car some time.
Look up the Lemon Laws in your state. You could get a new car is they cannot remedy the problem after repeated attempts to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
jmonier
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Did they have to open up your engine to get this fix done? Did you also hear a ticking sound coming from your engine? You wouldn't happen to have the part numbers of the hex bolt and washer would you? Thanks in advance!
The key point here is to have the dealer open a PUMA case. I don't know why they haven't done it already as it's there specifically for cases like this where they don't know what to do next. They may even have to do it simply to get reimbursed under warranty given that the problem is somewhat strange.

They did have have to remove the oil pan and pulleys, etc. from the front of the engine. The tech seemed to be extremely careful about checking for oil leaks, etc. after putting it back together. I can see where you'd be worried in this case especially since they don't seem to understand that BMW tech support is available to them. You might even want to try to get a recommendation for another BMW Service Department and take the car there instead. In the final analysis, the engine WILL have to come apart partially to fix the problem.

There's a long list of parts that were replaced and I don't know which ones finally fixed the problem. If they reference the PUMA case that I gave, BMW Tech Support will be able to tell them exactly what to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #17
jmonier
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
you might just have something jammed up and the ecu is throwing all the codes.

I remember getting the cam sensor code and we didnt change it and just changed out the vanos unit and they all went away.

You could have something loose in there that jammed up the vanos.
In my case (which seems identical to the OP's) the VANOS solenoid WAS jammed, and they checked for various things that could have jammed it such as contamination in the oil. They replaced it twice but it fixed the problem only for a short time. This indicates that something else was causing the solenoid failure. Apparently, the parts that they finally replaced got to the root of the problem although it's not clear to me exactly what that was.

In this case, since BMW Tech Support has dealt with this problem before, they're the best source of definitive information.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #18
jmonier
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I'm a newbie, but what does OP stand for? Thanks!
OP = Original Poster
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #19
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

OP= Opening Post/Original Poster

Sometimes... vaugely, "other post"
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #20
v2bling
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: speed demon

I keep getting limp mode at 3 or 4k rpms no matter what .. Im taking car in for service monday.. They allready replaced fuelpump also. Hopefully its only the boost selenoids.. I dont understand why its only happening to us two . :X
Maybe the coils?
Black Sapphire/Black Dakota/Bamboo/AnthraciteHeadliner/M-Tech Kit/Spoiler/Sports/Premium/Navi/HUD/Comfort/Rear Shades/ParkDistance/Ipod/Sports Auto w/Paddle/Logik7/30% Tint/Clear Bra/KW3/ Radenergie rs10 20"/Defi RedRacer Psi/Smoked front reflectors/ LED interior lights

Soon: Rpi Catback, GIAC or EVOtech flash, Dinan Rear Strut, OEM M5 Mirrors
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #21
max_335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2bling View Post
I keep getting limp mode at 3 or 4k rpms no matter what .. Im taking car in for service monday.. They allready replaced fuelpump also. Hopefully its only the boost selenoids.. I dont understand why its only happening to us two . :X
Maybe the coils?
Looking at your signature, it looks like you have 535i? It seems like its a biturbo issue then. Please do let me know once you have word from what your dealer says is causing the problem. My dealer's still doing the diagnostics on my car and still running the checks. So far, still no solution yet. The dealer said its the first time they've dealth with this problem. They've already contactd BMW Tech Service though but we haven't heard anything from them yet. Sigh... i love my car a lot but this sure is stretching my patience!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #22
max_335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientblue3 View Post
Look up the Lemon Laws in your state. You could get a new car is they cannot remedy the problem after repeated attempts to fix it.
Wish it was that easy but I'm not exactly living in the states. Canada for me here so I'll have to check if my province has lemon laws but I highly doubt it. As much as possible, I actually want to keep my car.
Appreciate 0