E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Is my big DISA bad?

04-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70 & E92

Is my big DISA bad?

I've had an error code (2AA8) for my big DISA on and off for about 2 years in my 2007 325i N52B25 E92.

I removed my big DISA to run diagnostics with INPA and strangely as I removed it from the intake manifold the flap was not closed all the way (open about 20 degrees).

I removed the big DISA and ran diagnostics with INPA. I set INPA to ON and it opened all the way, 90 degree angle. However INPA stated it was 67% open. :S

I then set it to OFF and it closed to about 45 degrees, INPA read it as 33% open.

The little electrical motor sounded healthy and it moved rapidly.

Is my big DISA bad?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

I'm assuming you have the stock 1-DISA intake with the factory programming (not 3IM with bimmerlabs tune, correct)?

If so, the values seem possible as the stock profiles are pretty passive. But when you actuate, it's moving with ok force? The stock profile has half-open schemes to it. But Im pretty sure when you pull the DISA off (power on but engine off) and do diagnostic testing that you're supposed to open and close fully after the first actuation.

Make sure when you test, you hit open, then wait a few seconds before you hit close, just to be sure.
Appreciate 1
DialedIn119.00
      04-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
I'm assuming you have the stock 1-DISA intake with the factory programming (not 3IM with bimmerlabs tune, correct)?

If so, the values seem possible as the stock profiles are pretty passive. But when you actuate, it's moving with ok force? The stock profile has half-open schemes to it. But Im pretty sure when you pull the DISA off (power on but engine off) and do diagnostic testing that you're supposed to open and close fully after the first actuation.

Make sure when you test, you hit open, then wait a few seconds before you hit close, just to be sure.
You are correct, everything is stock and no tune has been done.

I tried opening and closing the valve in INPA several times and it never closed more than about 45 degrees. :S

It was also kinda difficult reinstalling the DISA into the intake manifold as I had to put pressure on the flap to close it to make it fit. :/
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DialedIn View Post
You are correct, everything is stock and no tune has been done.

I tried opening and closing the valve in INPA several times and it never closed more than about 45 degrees. :S

It was also kinda difficult reinstalling the DISA into the intake manifold as I had to put pressure on the flap to close it to make it fit. :/
So I'm a little unfamiliar with the 325 but I know my 328i LCI had default programming (before the bimmerlabs tune) that would keep in in those weird values (had one been attached). But I'm pretty sure I was able to test them to fully open/close in INPA before the 330i flash.

The defective ones, IIRC that came with the 3IM I pulled acted like how you are saying though. So....
Appreciate 1
DialedIn119.00
      04-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:

Stock programs with 1/2 open settings? Are you sure about that? I've seen nothing in the Damos files that indicate anything but open or closed states. Even the INPA scripts for reading the status return 0 for closed and 1 for open.

Tune has data points for switching from one state to the other but no map for graduating the Disa valve position.

We would have used this feature years ago to smooth the transition between open and closed.
Appreciate 1
DialedIn119.00
      04-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #6
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Quote:

Stock programs with 1/2 open settings? Are you sure about that? I've seen nothing in the Damos files that indicate anything but open or closed states. Even the INPA scripts for reading the status return 0 for closed and 1 for open.

Tune has data points for switching from one state to the other but no map for graduating the Disa valve position.

We would have used this feature years ago to smooth the transition between open and closed.

Nope, not sure at all.

I'm just saying that in a stock profile for a 328i, that's how it reacted before a time. Not that it was supposed to work really since my 328i didn't really have the DISAs stock, but that's what it was like by default with just hooking up the DISAs to the dangling cables. And when I had working DISAs attached, the flaps would go all the way closed and open on button press (again before tune). I think I also mentioned that this is also how my broken pulled DISAs acted as well "so....[insert inference here]"

Of course once the flash happened, with everything working DISAs were fully open and closed only.

I said before I know nothing of how 325i DISAs works, but just giving him some reference points of what I experienced.

Last edited by bluewater328; 04-14-2020 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 01:50 AM   #7
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nope, not sure at all.

I'm just saying that in a stock profile for a 328i, that's how it reacted before a time. Not that it was supposed to work really since my 328i didn't really have the DISAs stock, but that's what it was like by default with just hooking up the DISAs to the dangling cables. And when I had working DISAs attached, the flaps would go all the way closed and open on button press (again before tune). I think I also mentioned that this is also how my broken pulled DISAs acted as well "so....[insert inference here]"

Of course once the flash happened, with everything working DISAs were fully open and closed only.

I said before I know nothing of how 325i DISAs works, but just giving him some reference points of what I experienced.

Hmm, well as I cannot find anything obviously wrong with it and the motor sounds healthy then I'll assume that the big DISA is fine for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #8
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE, I've gotten the same code for the big DISA some 30 times since I last posted on here.

Should I just get a new one and see if that fixes it?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #9
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

I have a used OE big one. Not sure if it works. How do I test? My car hasn't been flashed
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
My 328 when I would test the disas by way of plugging them to the car without a tune and revving the engine would barely open and close, oddly enough after flashing the bimmerlabs 330i tune they behaved the same way. My valves were full of oil inside and worked fine after cleaning them. So I do wonder if the 328i stock does open and close the valves fully if they're working properly.

If you grab your disa and you shake it up and down and side to side etc next to your ear, do you hear oil slushing around? If so it's full of it inside and likely making it not work as it's supposed to. The valves should work 100% fast opening and closing fully during the inpa test, if not there's something wrong with it for sure.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:32 PM   #11
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

It will open and close them - just at the wrong time.

if your getting error codes then the actuator is almost certainly broken.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:45 PM   #12
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep

I installed my new big DISA today.

The new one opens fully and closes fully when bench testing in INPA.

The old one also appeared to be broken this time. There was slop in the axle and the flap appeared to be loose.

So now I know it WAS broken and that the problem is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Good stuff. Don't mess with a loose disa. Don't wanna end up like this guys car I saw at the junkyard
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #14
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
Good stuff. Don't mess with a loose disa. Don't wanna end up like this guys car I saw at the junkyard
Happens...you probably found the rod stuck in the inlets. I also spent some time wondering if my cats were breaking apart or if I had some knocking. Until I noticed it was only at certain RPMs. Pulled it, sure enough, DISA gear worked its way offand flap was free in the wind.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #15
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I didn't see it, however I saw the flap, I left that manifold alone lol. It was full of crud aswell. Maybe the reason it's in the junkyard is because the engine ate that very rod for the flap.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #16
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
I didn't see it, however I saw the flap, I left that manifold alone lol. It was full of crud aswell. Maybe the reason it's in the junkyard is because the engine ate that very rod for the flap.
They all have crud in em. Even the ones with the pig bladder (I pulled one). But most people just want the manifold and get new DISAs anyway.

That could have been one of the older ones that had the plastic rod that actually broke. Physically its near impossible for the rods to back out completely because of the dimensions of the manifold (my metal one just backed out about 1/2") but it can break if its not the updated DISA with the metal rod.
Appreciate 0