E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Anyone setup front camera on CarPlay unit?

02-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Anyone setup front camera on CarPlay unit?

Recently got a CarPlay only headunit off AliExpress. Got the backup camera and everything setup but having a hard time setting up the front camera.

Anyone successfully done it? I can't seem to get a 12v reading so there's no signal.
Attached Images

08-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #2
Shiftylee
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Convertible M Sport

Did you figure this out? I'm doing this right now with my 2012 e93 (CIC) -- Road Top MMI (basically the same as the Andream), backup camera and front camera. I am running power from "12v backup camera" and "GRD" to the backup camera and "12v ACC" and "GRD" to the front camera mounted on back of the rearview mirror. I also connected the "Camera Detect" output to the little red wire coming off the Yellow video cable. As I understand it, this is the correct way to wire two cameras. I am not using an existing 12v source like the backup cameras or overhead light and I am not grounding to the car chassis. If this doesn't power either camera then I am going to put a multimeter up to the "12v ACC", "Backup Detect", and "Ground" to see what is actually happening when I turn it on. I also have an external monitor I can use to test the signal to verify it is a signal problem and not a power problem (or visa versa).
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 12:26 AM   #3
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftylee View Post
Did you figure this out? I'm doing this right now with my 2012 e93 (CIC) -- Road Top MMI (basically the same as the Andream), backup camera and front camera. I am running power from "12v backup camera" and "GRD" to the backup camera and "12v ACC" and "GRD" to the front camera mounted on back of the rearview mirror. I also connected the "Camera Detect" output to the little red wire coming off the Yellow video cable. As I understand it, this is the correct way to wire two cameras. I am not using an existing 12v source like the backup cameras or overhead light and I am not grounding to the car chassis. If this doesn't power either camera then I am going to put a multimeter up to the "12v ACC", "Backup Detect", and "Ground" to see what is actually happening when I turn it on. I also have an external monitor I can use to test the signal to verify it is a signal problem and not a power problem (or visa versa).
I ended up getting a 12V acc from the fuse box and it worked perfectly. I assume the headunit did not wire the front camera power correctly
      04-03-2023, 08:21 AM   #4
kirkham1963
Rep
Drives: E93

Hi, just installed this in my e93 - trying to figure out the front camera. So you connect to the maroon rca jack and
12v ac- when does the front camera come on? I don’t see any settings so I was skeptical my unit has it but it looks the same as yours so hoping it does. Thanks !
Appreciate 0