E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Official MHD "How to use" Thread!

02-09-2021, 09:23 AM   #1
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Official MHD "How to use" Thread!

Okay so I understand that with MHD in reach of many e/f series users and the general lack of clarity (or lack of people fucking reading) that the official MHD thread keeps getting trashed up with people who are
- Learning disabled (RTFM! )
- Impatient (JESUS CHRIST MAN)
- Have general questions (I respect you.)

SO here it goes, from top to bottom, and with KEYWORDS, BOLD, and COLORED instructions for those of you who have 897453 pr0n tabs open because you cant make up your mind.

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME FLASHING
IF YOU BELIEVE / KNOW ANY OF THESE
- You have never used MHD before
- You have never installed MHD on your vehicle
- You are NOT SURE if someone has installed MHD before
- You have no idea what you are doing

Then proceed as the following
1. STOP thinking or doing whatever you are doing and follow this guide, when in doubt, refer to step number 1.

2. Make sure that you have the MHD app downloaded on your device of choice. I personally am totally an iOS person, but I have an android tablet SPECIFICALLY dedicated to MHD/xHP/BimmerCode, etc.

3. Make sure that you have an account with MHD.

4. Make sure that you have the licenses that you require.
4b. You will REQUIRE a flasher license to flash MHD on to your vehicle. Flashing MHD on your vehicle does NOTHING on its own, but allows you to flash OTS (junk) tunes or pro tunes, as well as additional diagnostic stuffs.
4c. You will WANT a OTS tune from MHD to make "more power" than the stock tune (or just DM me for a basic tune. For clarity, I am NOT selling these tunes. I am NOT a vendor and I do NOT sell anything on this forum).
4d. YOU ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO GET THE MONITOR LICENSE because NOBODY can help you if you are having issues and do not have the ability to log. Every troubleshooting thread on this forum starts with "logs?" so we can help.

5. Please make sure that you have the appropriate MHD wifi OBD dongle (this depends on your chassis, when in doubt, a vendor can help you).

6. Plug the wifi dongle into your OBD port and make sure that you can connect to it via your tablet/phone of choice with the MHD app installed and licensed correctly.
6b. You CAN use the KDCAN to USB and stuff, but jesus christ that shit is SLOW and, if you can, I absolutely suggest the wifi over KDCAN USB cable.

7. If all is good, you may have noticed we went through about 6 steps without even doing ANYTHING to the car to start flashing. This is a foreign concept that not a lot of people are used to doing. I believe it's called "PREPARING"

FIRST TIME FLASHING METHOD!!!!!
We are going to flash your vehicle for the first time (or your first time. Don't worry, you can tell me you love me after your first time or just cry. I'm cool either way)
A lot of people have 98927589345 ways of suggesting you do these things. THIS IS THE METHOD THAT WORKS EVERY TIME 99% OF THE TIME (unless you did something wrong.)

1. Complete steps 1-7 from above. If in doubt, see step 1.

2. Get a standard car charger (something that will do 20A continuous or so) and hook it up to your battery jump start terminals under the hood (Negative to chassis, positive to positive terminal).

3. Open driver door and DO NOT close the driver door until I say so.

4. For push-to-start vehicles, just press the ignition button (without brake pedal) to wake up the car. For keyed cars, put the key in the "run" or "2" position (the position you use when the car is already started).

5. Turn off AC/Fan/Radio/etc.

6. Turn on headlights. No, not auto. Literally to the ON position. DO NOT turn them off until I say so. If I have to break this down for you, STOP NOW AND DO NOT DO ANYTHING. You lack the mental capacity to do literally anything else.

7. Click in your drivers side seatbelt and DO NOT release until I say so.

8. Plug in your OBD-to-MHD-device (i.e. MHD wifi adapter) and make SURE that your MHD device (android tab, ios tab, phone, etc) is connected to the MHD device (wifi, enet, kdcan, etc.). If you're using a phone, put it on airplane mode so that a call cannot interrupt MHD.

9. Open the MHD app.

10. Go to "tune"
10b. Choose your tune type (MHD, BEF, Custom)
10c. If you do not have an MHD tune license, you can still choose flash MHD map and flash "stage 0" which installs MHD and retains the STOCK tune - MHD WILL OVERWRITE YOUR DINAN/AFTERMARKET/etc. TUNE!!!
10d. If you do have an MHD tune or custom/etc MHD tune, you can flash this over without issue and, again, to be clear, MHD WILL OVERWRITE YOUR DINAN/AFTERMARKET/etc. TUNE!!!

11. Choose yer options under the options tab (transmission, remove cats, remove cold start, etc.) and if you don't know what yer doing, just leave the options like normal, but make sure you choose the correct transmission. Again, if you are using a phone, make sure it's on airplane mode BEFORE proceeding!

12. Hit FULL WRITE and WAIT. You will have to wait quite some time, which is why we have you leave the door open, leave the lights on, leave the seat belt buckled, and have the battery charger on and keeping up with the load.
12b. DO NOT DISTURB ANYTHING WITH THE CAR OR PHONE/PAD RUNNING MHD!!!!!!

13. Congratulations, you should see a "flash completed, please wait 30s" when your MHD flash is complete. The car should have turned itself off, and all is good. At this point, you can turn your lights off, undo the seatbelt, undo the charger, and return your car to "normal." IDGAF what you do after this, as this is just the tuning guide.

FLASHING SUBSEQUENT TIMES AFTER MHD IS INSTALLED (i.e. changing map, etc etc...)

SO MANY PEOPLE OVERTHINK THIS PART!!!!

IF your battery is healthy, as in like normal, you'll be fine 99.999% of the time (I have 485 flash count, and this method has never failed).

1. Plug in OBD adapter
2. Hop in car.
3. Close door.
4. Make sure OBD adapter is connected to your MHD flashing device
5. ONCE CONNECTION IS VERIFIED TO OBD ADAPTER press the ignition button for push to start, 2/run for keyed cars
6. Open MHD app, do what you want to do
7. Flash.
8. Car turns off, wait 30s.
9. That's it. No fuss, no battery charger, no seat belt shit, no headlights deal, no nothing. Hop in, ignition on, flash.

This is NOT rocket science. Seriously. But so many many many people have issues because they refuse to RTFM, so here's your "guide"

I take zero credit for any of this (aside from the stupid comments) because *gasp* big surprise, THE ENTIRE MANUAL IS ON MHD'S WEBSITE!

https://data.mhdtuning.com/downloads...er%20Guide.pdf

Appreciate 3
      12-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #2
schmeddy
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post

6. Turn on headlights. No, not auto. Literally to the ON position. DO NOT turn them off until I say so. If I have to break this down for you, STOP NOW AND DO NOT DO ANYTHING. You lack the mental capacity to do literally anything else.

Just read the manual from MHD. They say to turn OFF the headlights. Why are you recommending to turn them ON?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeddy View Post
Just read the manual from MHD. They say to turn OFF the headlights. Why are you recommending to turn them ON?
Totally agree with this. Headlights, DRLs, climate system - all off. Minimize all electrical loads. I've been flashing this way for a decade. Whether it's WinKFP or MHD, all of the same rules apply. Ideally you'd want a dedicated 90-amp power supply, but those are expensive. Easy to build though.

Plug in a battery charger, turn off your headlights/DRLs/climate, put your phone in airplane mode and flash. Don't touch anything, open any doors or windows, etc. while it's flashing. That's it.

You don't need to plug in a seatbelt or close a door at a specific time or perform a ritualistic sacrifice of your first child. Just don't touch anything after it starts and you're good.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 12-28-2021 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #4
schmeddy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Totally agree with this. Headlights, DRLs, climate system - all off. Minimize all electrical loads. I've been flashing this way for a decade. Whether it's WinKFP or MHD, all of the same rules apply. Ideally you'd want a dedicated 90-amp power supply, but those are expensive. Easy to build though.

Plug in a battery charger, turn off your headlights/DRLs/climate, put your phone in airplane mode and flash. Don't touch anything, open any doors or windows, etc. while it's flashing. That's it.

You don't need to plug in a seatbelt or close a door at a specific time or perform a ritualistic sacrifice of your first child. Just don't touch anything after it starts and you're good.

HAHA got it that's what I thought!

Any preference between MHD and BM3? I have been trying to decide which to get, seems like i'm in good hands with both, but not sure which to go with. It will just be for stage 1 for a 2015 435i.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 01:45 PM   #5
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Just stage 1, haha! We'll see how long that lasts! I suspect you'll get used to it and want more sooner than you think. I haven't really looked into BM3, as i'm e-series, and thought they were only f-chassis and newer??? I'm on MHD stage 2+ for now.
Appreciate 1
E92only82.00
      12-30-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
schmeddy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Just stage 1, haha! We'll see how long that lasts! I suspect you'll get used to it and want more sooner than you think. I haven't really looked into BM3, as i'm e-series, and thought they were only f-chassis and newer??? I'm on MHD stage 2+ for now.
LOL yes we will see how long stage 1 will satisfy me!

Quick question - I upgraded my charge pipe to evolution racewerks. I was reading that an upgraded open intake is recommended as well.

Do I also need to upgrade my intake for stage 1? Or will the new charge pipe suffice?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 06:04 PM   #7
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeddy View Post
LOL yes we will see how long stage 1 will satisfy me!

Quick question - I upgraded my charge pipe to evolution racewerks. I was reading that an upgraded open intake is recommended as well.

Do I also need to upgrade my intake for stage 1? Or will the new charge pipe suffice?
Just a new charge pipe. There's a whole lot of debate on how helpful an intake actually is, but what I can tell you is that for the money, an intercooler is a better choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 11:52 AM   #8
schmeddy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Just a new charge pipe. There's a whole lot of debate on how helpful an intake actually is, but what I can tell you is that for the money, an intercooler is a better choice.
Thanks brother!
Appreciate 0