E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Mods that are WORTH the $$

01-29-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

E90 Mods that are WORTH the $$

Hi Folks,

First I have to say all of you guys are so helpful, thank you so much! I have been addicted to this site as much as cleaning my wheels

What is the concensus among you guys for the mods that are really worth the $$? I will get a concealed V1. I got tinted windows. What else? Carbon fiber lip? is it worth it?

Are there any "must have" mods that really make the whole experience even better? I'm not talking about a spoiler or a mud flap. I am soooo happy now with my car just wondering if there is some special E90 mod I am missing.

Please don't crucify me if this thread has already been discussed. I searched and couldnt find it. Besides, its worth discussing again. :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

If you are wanting BMW add ons, check with your dealer as to what is available to be retrofitted. Then with the list of add on options that you like, run them past us and you will see what people are recommending.

Currently, I have the exhaust tips that were added on at no extra charge.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Well, modifications for this car arent going to be like modifying a civic. It already comes with some serious hardware, so changing something out, like the suspension, will change the driving characteristics, but not like a night-and-day experience. Engine enhancements are not going to make large gains, atlhough they may enhance the aural experience and responsiveness.

I have a rogue short shifter in my car (they are coming out to market in a few weeks) that makes the experience more enjoyable. Some aestetic enhancements also can be fun, although, living in NYC, I cant change bumpers or do the CF addons, as they are going to get destroyed with the "respect" drivers have around here.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Besides, concealed V1, Tint, Exhuast tips, Sunglass holder kit IMO you don't need to do much. It's a BMW, not a Honda. but that's just me
IMO less is more with BMW.
If you want to constantly be upgrading something, try racing nitro r/c cars.

Are you planning on de-badging it?
It's been a few weeks........
      01-30-2006, 01:34 AM   #5
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Besides, concealed V1, Tint, Exhuast tips, Sunglass holder kit IMO you don't need to do much. It's a BMW, not a Honda. but that's just me
IMO less is more with BMW.
If you want to constantly be upgrading something, try racing nitro r/c cars.

Are you planning on de-badging it?
It's been a few weeks........

I agree with you completely chitown. I already have the nice chrome exhuast tips that are standard with 330. The sunglass holder kit is a good idea though! thanks for the advice!

And I might debadge. They say it has a much cleaner look.

I learned about concealed V1 from this forum so I just wanted to see if there were any other cool mods.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 02:06 AM   #6
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
lol, you are in same route as me. I got tinted windows, and my girlfriend recently bought me V1 as a present.

I got my front lip now. Thats something cosmetic however. If you are one of those fancy person who enjoys looking good/different from others, a simple front lip will make your whole car look much better/unique from others.

Then again, alot of people simply find no need for such thing(which I understand), so I would carefully think about that one. Since you brought up CF lip, I just thought I would add that one.

As for making your whole "experience" fun, and since you have a manual, trying out a short-shifter kit(full assembly kit, not an adaptor kit) might solve your "crave" for new experience. I drove 6spd transmission on BMWs, and wasn't quite impressed by its long throw and long sticking out shifter. As RiceP said, short-shifter always make your driving MUCH more enjoyable. Ask any other short-shifter owners, they never regret it.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 10:30 AM   #7
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep

thats an awesome suggestion lux, thanks! I will definitely research a short throw kit now
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Can someone recommend a short shifter kit?
      01-30-2006, 11:23 AM   #9
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...egory_Code=SSK

i'm not entirely sure they make one for the e90 yet, but i hear great things about the short shift kit for the e46.
      01-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
kenadianz
Rep
Drives: 06 325i 6MT Bl Sapph Sprt

e90 kits available on website

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullo
http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...egory_Code=SSK

i'm not entirely sure they make one for the e90 yet, but i hear great things about the short shift kit for the e46.
looks like the 325 and 330 kits are available now. $265 for the kit. Am thinking about getting one, but have questions about the installation.

Has anyone installed one of these before on the previous series? How involved is the process?

Thanks
      01-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #11
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenadianz
looks like the 325 and 330 kits are available now. $265 for the kit. Am thinking about getting one, but have questions about the installation.

Has anyone installed one of these before on the previous series? How involved is the process?

Thanks
It's not offically out yet, the one in RichP's car is a tester. I have been waiting for the release for months now, so I'm not holding my breath anymore.

From what I understand, to install the Rogue SSk, you need to drop parts of your exhaust, unlike the B&M which requires no under-the-car access. So a car lift is gonna make intall of the Rogue much easier.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

docbolo,
A couple of additional suggestions for you to consider. Aluminum pedals and foot rest look really cool. Euro tail light lens (flash yellow instead of the red NA spec) are available and if your dealer is reasonable, you should be able to trade off the originals that come with your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 04:37 PM   #13
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Must do mod? Polorized film on the radio display so you can see your radio with sunglasses on (unless they've fixed it already).

My experience is that most modding is a waste of money (flame suit on). $2000 for a body kit? Never gonna happen.

I did spend $800 on a Dinan chip and intake for my e46 328i. It brought the power up to where it should've been, but the whistle of the CAI drove me nuts.

Now minor mods like the grocery grabber I got this weekend? I can handle that!

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 05:09 PM   #14
roppongicorolla
all systems are go
Rep
Drives: 325i SG SPP

I think ditching the RFT and going with a tire like the Advan Neova or Michelin PS2 should yield the best performance gains.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #15
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenadianz

Thanks
__________________________________________________ ___You will need to put the car on a lift for the installation. I have installed several short shifters on BMWs and recommend Rogue Engineering and Autothority to name just a couple. The short shift nobs aren't much help though they do increase shifting effort as do the "real" short shifters.
Appreciate 0