E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DIY: Setup BMW Standard Tools 2.12 on Windows XP > 10

02-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #155
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive40i

I've tried it on Windows XP, Windows 7 32 bit, and Windows 10. The XP and 7 were through Parallels on my Mac. I have coded before that way, so I don't think that's the problem. I have Windows 10 on an old laptop that I'm trying to work with now. I figure that way will be best since there's less chance that I'll have a hardware/software complication. I'm reading through the K-DCAn + INPA thread. It seems pretty confusing but I'll work through it and see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #156
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I tried a couple different COMs and edited them accordingly in OBD.ini with no luck. I also followed the other post about K-DCAN + INPA not working. I edited EDIABAS.ini like they mentioned and ran the K+DCAN utility they were talking about and tried to change it to 500 kbit/s and got an 'Error: Echo K-line' when I had the cable plugged into my car and laptop. I also tried running it without the cable plugged in and it said 'Error: Timeout echo'. Not sure what any of that means. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 11:42 PM   #157
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm looking on Amazon right now at their cheap K+DCAN cables they have for sale and noticed that one of them says it's good on 1998 - 2008 BMWs. Could that be my problem? All of my other cars I coded fit within that timeframe but my current e92 is a 2009. Do 2009s require a different cable?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 11:46 PM   #158
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas.daines
I'm looking on Amazon right now at their cheap K+DCAN cables they have for sale and noticed that one of them says it's good on 1998 - 2008 BMWs. Could that be my problem? All of my other cars I coded fit within that timeframe but my current e92 is a 2009. Do 2009s require a different cable?
For some reason, the 2009+ models have issues with some of the cheap cables. I'll pm you a link to a known good cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 11:58 PM   #159
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I'll check them out. I'm thinking that 1998 - 2008 cars have a different interface or something? Maybe they use K-line and the 2009 and newer use DCAN? I bought my cable at least 5 years ago, so it might have been before the DCAN interface was around? Either way, I'll order another one and cross my fingers.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #160
SoZoX
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
For some reason, the 2009+ models have issues with some of the cheap cables. I'll pm you a link to a known good cable.
I have the same issue. I have ordered a new cable from Ali the one with over 800 sales i'll try that one. If that fails also...can you PM me the one you have?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #161
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleBoy View Post
HI WildcatCrazy.

Step 15 in your instruction guide, specifically the following line of instructions is not working for me:

"Button 4, Select the EC-APPS\NFS folder that you copied to your C: drive in step 17."

First, I'm confused...I copied only "EC-APPS" to my hard-drive....what is the >>\NFS?

when I select in step 17, button 4 and then select from my hard drive "EC-APPS"..i get the following message "C:\EC-APPS is not a valid EC-APPS\NFS folder".

What can I be doing wrong?

Thank.s
I think I can help. C:\EC-APPS\NFS is supposed to direct you to first open your C drive, then click on EC-APPS, then select the NFS file within EC-APPS. So in short, it's the NFS file within EC-APPS that you're supposed to add to 'button 4'.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #162
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have teh $100 one stop cable that everyone raves about and no matter what i do I still get the "ECU no answer" error when coding. Cable works on my 09 335, but my 2013 x1, no dice and its driving me crazy. Windows 10/7/xp.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #163
foebeke
Rep
Drives: bmw e61

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZoX View Post
I have the same issue. I have ordered a new cable from Ali the one with over 800 sales i'll try that one. If that fails also...can you PM me the one you have?
Hey, I still have no succes.... I also have the cable from Ali and it doesnt work for me....
The contact on the other BMW forum lives nearby and said I could visit him to look at the problem... Maybe I should do that and stop triple checking everything :-)
Anyway I'll keep you up to date!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #164
MuscleBoy
Rep
Drives: E60

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas.daines View Post
I think I can help. C:\EC-APPS\NFS is supposed to direct you to first open your C drive, then click on EC-APPS, then select the NFS file within EC-APPS. So in short, it's the NFS file within EC-APPS that you're supposed to add to 'button 4'.
dallas.daines thanks for your help....that did the trick.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #165
MuscleBoy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Any OS from Win XP up to Win10 will work.
Will I have any issues using Windows 7 , 64 bit? I think that is widows Vista on my 17 inch Toshiba laptop purchased in 2012?

thank.s
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #166
MuscleBoy
Rep

Quote:
Many have asked for the easy way to install BMW Std Tools, and I have developed a proven method that can be done in less than 15 min depending on the processing power of your machine.

The only requirement for this install is Windows XP through Windows 10, 32 or 64 bit version and a working KDCAN cable. Instead of writing a lengthy detail in this post, I generated the instructions that's included in the link below.

If this install has assisted you in achieving a working set up, please click the appreciate link, thanks!

https://mega.nz/#F!a5MyBRyY!QDG6zo1iXjV_mBZh6WtcRQ

Chassis family guide for choosing your proper DATEN: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642883

Edit 1: Added F series files for INPA. Added support files for N47.
Edit 2: Added working copy of NCS Dummy.
WildcatCrazy....if you can help here.....my 2102 Toshiba Laptop, OS is Windows 7, 64 bit.....I do not see the Ports (COM & LPT) in the list.

it is not found in the Device Manager list at all.

Where do I go to make the changes in steps 20 -23 if I cannot find the Port feature?

I am working of this Windows 7, 64-Bit Vista.

PS...I just realized in your instructions in line 23: The following:

"23). Click “Ok”, then “Ok” again, you should notice your Com Port changed to 1. If for some reason you can’t assign Com Port 1, you can modify the OBD.ini file in C:EDIABAS\Bin directory. Change the info in the second line (Port=Com1) to the Com Port assigned in the previous step, save and close the OBD.ini file."

Thus, since I cannot find this strage Port settings in my windows 7, can I use the step you describe above in step 23? Can you clarify what you are suggesting to do where you state: "Change the info in the second line (Port=Com1) to the Com Port assigned in the previous step, save and close the OBD.ini file."

I guess what am I changing from? And to? Will I be changing "Port=Com5" to "Port=Com1" in the second line?

Thank.s

? Thank.s
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #167
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleBoy
Quote:
Will I have any issues using Windows 7 , 64 bit? I think that is widows Vista on my 17 inch Toshiba laptop purchased in 2012?

thank.s
Any OS, XP or newer, 32 or 64 bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #168
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Many have asked for the easy way to install BMW Std Tools, and I have developed a proven method that can be done in less than 15 min depending on the processing power of your machine.

The only requirement for this install is Windows XP through Windows 10, 32 or 64 bit version and a working KDCAN cable. Instead of writing a lengthy detail in this post, I generated the instructions that's included in the link below.

If this install has assisted you in achieving a working set up, please click the appreciate link, thanks!

https://mega.nz/#F!a5MyBRyY!QDG6zo1iXjV_mBZh6WtcRQ

Chassis family guide for choosing your proper DATEN: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642883

Edit 1: Added F series files for INPA. Added support files for N47.
Edit 2: Added working copy of NCS Dummy.
WildcatCrazy....if you can help here.....my 2102 Toshiba Laptop, OS is Windows 7, 64 bit.....I do not see the Ports (COM & LPT) in the list.

it is not found in the Device Manager list at all.

Where do I go to make the changes in steps 20 -23 if I cannot find the Port feature?

I am working of this Windows 7, 64-Bit Vista.

PS...I just realized in your instructions in line 23: The following:

"23). Click “Ok”, then “Ok” again, you should notice your Com Port changed to 1. If for some reason you can’t assign Com Port 1, you can modify the OBD.ini file in C:EDIABAS\Bin directory. Change the info in the second line (Port=Com1) to the Com Port assigned in the previous step, save and close the OBD.ini file."

Thus, since I cannot find this strage Port settings in my windows 7, can I use the step you describe above in step 23? Can you clarify what you are suggesting to do where you state: "Change the info in the second line (Port=Com1) to the Com Port assigned in the previous step, save and close the OBD.ini file."

I guess what am I changing from? And to? Will I be changing "Port=Com5" to "Port=Com1" in the second line?

Thank.s

? Thank.s
Make sure you have the cable hooked up to the laptop before you try modifying the driver info. If it is plugged up and you don't have Com Port, then look for an item with "!" Next to it. Then load the drivers that you downloaded within the Mega file.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #169
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Quote:

thank.s
I use Win 7 64 and it works perfectly.
      02-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #170
MuscleBoy
Rep

Quote:
Make sure you have the cable hooked up to the laptop before you try modifying the driver info. If it is plugged up and you don't have Com Port, then look for an item with "!" Next to it. Then load the drivers that you downloaded within the Mega file.
Thanks again wildcatcrazy....one last question. In step 17 within the instructions you provided it discusses loading the SP-Daten for my E60 Chassis. My question is do we load the SP-Daten only once? Or do we need to load it each time we use the BMW Coding Tool.

For example...I loaded it yesterday and got as far as being ready to connect the cable and going from there before I shut down the computer....today...I turned it back on and thought to retrace yesterdays steps before I began the instructions with the cable. Thus I was asked by the program if I want to backup and I selected yes. Then my computer froze up ("Not Responding") and I had to shut the program down using task manager. Thus, I thought I would wait to hear from you whether or not I messed any of the steps I did yesterday or if I can just continue with the instructions where I left off yesterday with the cable setting.

Appreciate your advise.

"Button 1, Browse to the location where you downloaded your SP-DATEN and click the chassis folder (i.e., E89)."
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #171
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks again wildcatcrazy....one last question. In step 17 within the instructions you provided it discusses loading the SP-Daten for my E60 Chassis. My question is do we load the SP-Daten only once? Or do we need to load it each time we use the BMW Coding Tool.

For example...I loaded it yesterday and got as far as being ready to connect the cable and going from there before I shut down the computer....today...I turned it back on and thought to retrace yesterdays steps before I began the instructions with the cable. Thus I was asked by the program if I want to backup and I selected yes. Then my computer froze up ("Not Responding") and I had to shut the program down using task manager. Thus, I thought I would wait to hear from you whether or not I messed any of the steps I did yesterday or if I can just continue with the instructions where I left off yesterday with the cable setting.

Appreciate your advise.

"Button 1, Browse to the location where you downloaded your SP-DATEN and click the chassis folder (i.e., E89)."
Once you import the DATENs for a specific chassis, you won't have to do it again until you either a) want to connect to a different chassis, and/or b) need to update to a newer version of DATENs.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #172
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The new cable did the trick. I'm pretty sure my old cable still works, it just doesn't work with any BMWs built after 2008. I haven't had time yet to code anything, but I was able to retrieve the VIN and it seems like I'm able to talk to the car. Thanks wildcatcrazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #173
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I didn't see anywhere in the tutorials about creating a backup of the modules before you begin coding so that you'll always have something to fall back on if you screw up. Is there an easy way to do this or do I have to manually select each module and write it to FSW_PSW.TRC one at a time?

I just read on the other thread that you can code a blank file and it will restore all default settings in case you screw something up. Is this right?

Last edited by dallas.daines; 02-03-2016 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #174
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas.daines
I didn't see anywhere in the tutorials about creating a backup of the modules before you begin coding so that you'll always have something to fall back on if you screw up. Is there an easy way to do this or do I have to manually select each module and write it to FSW_PSW.TRC one at a time?

I just read on the other thread that you can code a blank file and it will restore all default settings in case you screw something up. Is this right?
The coding tool will ask you if you want to create a back up once you go to save the MAN file. Other option is to read each module then saving the TRC file it generates.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 02:51 AM   #175
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Alright, so I'm up and running now. It took awhile but it was worth it. The next question I have is how do I go about disabling the seat belt assist/extender on the driver's side while keeping it enabled on the passenger's side? Does anyone know what ECU it's in and what it would be called in German?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 03:06 AM   #176
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas.daines View Post
Alright, so I'm up and running now. It took awhile but it was worth it. The next question I have is how do I go about disabling the seat belt assist/extender on the driver's side while keeping it enabled on the passenger's side? Does anyone know what ECU it's in and what it would be called in German?
NFRM module and you need to disable (nicht_aktiv):

ENABLE_GURTBRINGER_FA