E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pistonheads editorial re BMW thefts

07-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Nothing like a large dose of bad press to focus a companies collective mind!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #24
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SE

the solution seems to me, to be to put the ODB port in the boot... how hard can that be BMW?

you cant open the boot without the original key, so would be far more secure than the current process. Heck even putting it under the bonnet and require a key to open the bonnet would be better. In my E39 the ODB used to be in there!

Quite shocking really
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #25
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
the solution seems to me, to be to put the ODB port in the boot... how hard can that be BMW?

you cant open the boot without the original key, so would be far more secure than the current process. Heck even putting it under the bonnet and require a key to open the bonnet would be better. In my E39 the ODB used to be in there!

Quite shocking really
You can't do this apparently. EU regulations state that the ODB needs to be easily accessible and within 12" of the steering column. You also sometimes need access to the ODB when the car is running which means it can't be in the boot. However they could have placed it nearer the middle of the centre console rather than right next to the door where it can be easily reached.

The problem is a combination of the fact that the alarm doens't fully cover a small section of the door near to the ODB port due to BMW cheaping out on fitting proper sensors there and also to do with the fact that you are able to program a new key into the cars ECU without requiring any sort of authorisation code\pin etc. Other manufacturers have implemented security to make this function more secure but BMW in their infinite wisdom haven't bothered.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 05:40 AM   #26
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

But even if there were pins / passwords, these would have to be available to independants under the Block Excemption rule and thus available to the wider public. If your local indy garage can program new keys to the cars then so can the crims.

The info on the alarm black spot is good, this means by simply moving and extending the OBD plug to the centre console / pedal upper trim area means the alarm would go off if they tried to find it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #27
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
But even if there were pins / passwords, these would have to be available to independants under the Block Excemption rule and thus available to the wider public. If your local indy garage can program new keys to the cars then so can the crims.
Other manufacturers also have similiar systems but only main dealers are allowed to program new keys and then only once they have got an authorisation code from the manufacturers central system. They haven't been told off by the EU for not complying so not sure why BMW should be different.

I can understand the block exemption laws enabling indies to provide diagnostics through the ODB but IMO something like a key re-program should ONLY be available through the main dealer and with the correct authorisation, not just any old backstreet garage. Yes it might cost you a bit more or be a little bit more inconvenient but I'd rather have that then my car nicked.

At the very least if you do want to give indies the ability to be able re-programme keys, make them go through the same central authorisation process as a main dealer, so that any such requests can be centrally tracked. That would stop some unscrupulous employee from abusing the system.
Appreciate 0