E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Possible DIY: Remove Speed Limiter (Governor)

04-29-2017, 06:22 AM   #1
Kizelio
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E90 Sedan Graphite

Possible DIY: Remove Speed Limiter (Governor)

A couple weeks ago, on a freeway drive out to a friend's place in the boonies, I figured I'd max it out, as I have before (135mph). This time, with pedal to the floor, it blew past that, and the next time I looked, I was going 148(-2?). I kept the pedal to the floor, and got it up to 157 (good tires (W, full tread), not many other cars around), then slowed down carefully.

I was tinkering around with the latest versions of INPA, Ediabas (Tool32), and NCS Expert. I loaded and applied a profile in NCS Expert for a different car at one point, and had some wicked issues (windows and moonroof would not respond, FOB insertion locked every door).

After that, I searched and downloaded some NCS Expert profiles (I probably could've used the default, but I didn't know what I was doing exactly, even though I had to do a lot of translation.). The last thing I did was to load and apply "Revtor's NCS Expert" profile.

I'm not sure what I did because I messed around with the software a lot, and I'm not sure of just applying Revtor's profile in NCS Expert did it (because I've only maxed it out at 135 once before).

So, it is possible to get rid of the governor, I just don't know what I did to accomplish this. Any guesses?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
Noquills
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Perhaps you software update defaulted your speedometer to kpm instead of mph? No flame, please.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
Kizelio
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
You don't "apply" a profile. "Loading" a profile doesn't load anything to the car, it simply loads predefined settings to tell NCS how to perform specific functions.

To know more we would have to know what you actually coded with NCS or what commands you executed with tool32.
You're right, I don't remember what the buttons are in NCS Expert, but it gave me the options of programming the ECU and Key, which I did both. Come to think of it, I probably selected the wrong train in INPA (I think I messed it up at first by choosing msv70 or msd80 instead of msv80). There was too much to translate, so I just started mashing. In tool32, I executed many commands without parameters, and most of them errored out, but some succeeded. I don't think anything I did in tool32 affected it, I think it was INPA.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizelio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
You don't "apply" a profile. "Loading" a profile doesn't load anything to the car, it simply loads predefined settings to tell NCS how to perform specific functions.

To know more we would have to know what you actually coded with NCS or what commands you executed with tool32.
You're right, I don't remember what the buttons are in NCS Expert, but it gave me the options of programming the ECU and Key, which I did both. Come to think of it, I probably selected the wrong train in INPA (I think I messed it up at first by choosing msv70 or msd80 instead of msv80). There was too much to translate, so I just started mashing. In tool32, I executed many commands without parameters, and most of them errored out, but some succeeded. I don't think anything I did in tool32 affected it, I think it was INPA.
I have issues with this.

1. It's very unlikely that the OP managed to accidentally change his speed limit coding. It's pretty well protected by BMW.

2. I don't think it does this forum any good to have discussions or condone obscene speeds on public roads. We certainly don't want to help or encourage people to test or modify there speed limits on public roads.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6011.50
      04-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
Kizelio
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
I have issues with this.

1. It's very unlikely that the OP managed to accidentally change his speed limit coding. It's pretty well protected by BMW.

2. I don't think it does this forum any good to have discussions or condone obscene speeds on public roads. We certainly don't want to help or encourage people to test or modify there speed limits on public roads.
You don't think 135 is obscene? If caught, you will be going to jail whether you are going 135 or 157. So you think all cars should be governed at around 75?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
Kizelio
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You don't think 135 is obscene? If caught, you will be going to jail whether you are going 135 or 157. So you think all cars should be governed at around 75?
If you doubt I did this, I will post a video. It sounds like you are jealous because you couldn't do it. Play around with the tools, and you could educate me how I accomplished this.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
A couple weeks ago, on a freeway drive out to a friend's place in the boonies, I figured I'd max it out, as I have before (135mph). This time, with pedal to the floor, it blew past that, and the next time I looked, I was going 148(-2?). I kept the pedal to the floor, and got it up to 157 (good tires (W, full tread), not many other cars around), then slowed down carefully.

I was tinkering around with the latest versions of INPA, Ediabas (Tool32), and NCS Expert. I loaded and applied a profile in NCS Expert for a different car at one point, and had some wicked issues (windows and moonroof would not respond, FOB insertion locked every door).

After that, I searched and downloaded some NCS Expert profiles (I probably could've used the default, but I didn't know what I was doing exactly, even though I had to do a lot of translation.). The last thing I did was to load and apply "Revtor's NCS Expert" profile.

I'm not sure what I did because I messed around with the software a lot, and I'm not sure of just applying Revtor's profile in NCS Expert did it (because I've only maxed it out at 135 once before).

So, it is possible to get rid of the governor, I just don't know what I did to accomplish this. Any guesses?
The only way to effectively change the limiter is by a third party tuner (JB4, Cobb, etc...). It's not just a value you "code" in your DME, it is an actual value in one of the tables within the DME.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
The only way to effectively change the limiter is by a third party tuner (JB4, Cobb, etc...). It's not just a value you "code" in your DME, it is an actual value in one of the tables within the DME.
Well with coding you can choose between 128, 145, 150, and 155mph limits... but that setting is locked after the DME has 10 hours of runtime.
Appreciate 2
LMB335IS1296.50
6ixSpd6011.50
      05-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Here's what you do, get a video of you doing whatever your speed limiter hits now, default code your car back to stock, take another video and show us all the difference in the limiter. Then you can do a tutorial on how to deactivate the speed limiter via NCS Expert.

Or even better, get a TRC file of your car as it sits now. Default code it again to get your original TRC. Use a file compare program to show us all the differences between the two. Then you'll know what got "coded", we'll all now know what got coded and no one will make fun of you any more.
      05-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #10
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep

Would also be beneficial to get a before/after NETTODAT file of the DME.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #11
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

I think all this dicking about is rather childish.

Whether or not he RAISED it should be nobody's concern. Whether or not he CHANGED it should be, especially given it's a new ability.

What if we have some 17 year old kid and want to set the limit to 80?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #12
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post

Whether or not he RAISED it should be nobody's concern. Whether or not he CHANGED it should be, especially given it's a new ability.

I explained rather plainly what he could do to figure out if he had actually done anything at all. Joe@Topgearsolutions expanded upon it. What's the problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #13
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:

The 4 numbers I posted are the only limits you can set by coding, and doing that requires the hours counter to be at less than 10 hours. Bypassing the counter or changing to any other speed requires the DME flash to be modified.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6011.50
      05-05-2017, 03:44 AM   #14
Kizelio
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Talking Right & Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
Well with coding you can choose between 128, 145, 150, and 155mph limits... but that setting is locked after the DME has 10 hours of runtime.
If it is locked over X hours, it must to be a software lock in the DME, not firmware. After having my battery disconnected for over a month, that would be undone. Thanks for the insight as to the limits, but mine was 135. When I did get it to 157, it may have only been 155 from the downward angle after a seat adjustment.

Last edited by Kizelio; 05-05-2017 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 03:54 AM   #15
Kizelio
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Talking

Quote:

Danke.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 04:00 AM   #16
Kizelio
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Here's what you do, get a video of you doing whatever your speed limiter hits now, default code your car back to stock, take another video and show us all the difference in the limiter. Then you can do a tutorial on how to deactivate the speed limiter via NCS Expert.

Or even better, get a TRC file of your car as it sits now. Default code it again to get your original TRC. Use a file compare program to show us all the differences between the two. Then you'll know what got "coded", we'll all now know what got coded and no one will make fun of you any more.
Thanks, I have no idea what I did, but if loading the original TRC file removes this capability, I'd rather not. However, next time I connect it, I will grab the TRC.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #17
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If it is locked over X hours, it must to be a software lock in the DME, not firmware. After having my battery disconnected for over a month, that would be undone. Thanks for the insight as to the limits, but mine was 135. When I did get it to 157, it may have only been 155 from the downward angle after a seat adjustment.
The hours counter is stored in NVRAM. You can have the DME unplugged for a hundred years and it'll still hold the value.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6011.50
      05-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #18
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
Quote:
The hours counter is stored in NVRAM. You can have the DME unplugged for a hundred years and it'll still hold the value.
Is it possible that the OP managed to change the pulses per mile in the Kombi and the speedo is just over reading a few percent more than normal?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #19
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Is it possible that the OP managed to change the pulses per mile in the Kombi and the speedo is just over reading a few percent more than normal?
That or the built in error function, but I'd have to wonder how he'd change that accidentally. Maybe he did run into a bug that caused the DME to not register the hours counter properly, but even then I don't know how one would change the speed limiter without deliberately changing it from wert_00 to one of the other values.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6011.50
      05-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #20
oli3
Private First Class
Rep

Default BMW factory limiter is 155mph anyway isn't it?
So for OP to reach 157 (speed correction factored in) doesn't mean anything's been changed, perhaps just has been reset to default factory settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #21
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli3 View Post
Default BMW factory limiter is 155mph anyway isn't it?
So for OP to reach 157 (speed correction factored in) doesn't mean anything's been changed, perhaps just has been reset to default factory settings.
Only for the M sport, AFAIK.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #22
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
Only for the M sport, AFAIK.
And for cars with the "Sport Package" option.
Appreciate 0