E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Looking into getting an XTi

05-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
M3350Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Looking into getting an XTi

I'm interested in getting into photography and have been researching both the D40x and the XTi and have decided to go with the canon. However, since I am a noob at the topic, I was wondering how you guys feel about the ebay packages that include lenses, memory ,flash, tripods, etc as part of a package such as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-Digita...QQcmdZViewItem

It seems like a great deal to me but I'm no expert on the subject.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
albeik
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Formula Red S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3350Z View Post
I'm interested in getting into photography and have been researching both the D40x and the XTi and have decided to go with the canon. However, since I am a noob at the topic, I was wondering how you guys feel about the ebay packages that include lenses, memory ,flash, tripods, etc as part of a package such as this one:

It seems like a great deal to me but I'm no expert on the subject.
I am on the same boat. But leaning towards the new 450D.

Review:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS450D/

Lens I am interested In:
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...p5-5p6_is_c16/

Buying just the 450D and the 15-55mm lens from bhphotovideo.com is going to be around $1K without any of the kit stuff you find in eBay.

Any recommendations either for the 450D or 400D for the OP?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Be warned - a lot (maybe even most) ebay sellers are not authorized resellers. This means that the camera comes with no manufacturer warranty. Often you end up getting a camera from a different region, or missing parts - called gray market, since they are real parts but not for the US Market. if the price is right, maybe you don't mind not getting the warranty, but just be warned.

BHPhotovideo.com tends to be reasonably priced and has good ratings as a merchant.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
M3350Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I appreciate the advice Gig. I do not NEED all of the stuff that comes on ebay but it does seem a little too good to be true. I will mostly use the camera (starting out anyway) for taking car pictures of course, along with birthday events, family gatherings, friends, etc. I'm sure the starter lens will be more than sufficient for me to learn with. I will look into bhphotovideo. I was originally leaning toward newegg.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
albeik
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Formula Red S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Be warned - a lot (maybe even most) ebay sellers are not authorized resellers. This means that the camera comes with no manufacturer warranty. Often you end up getting a camera from a different region, or missing parts - called gray market, since they are real parts but not for the US Market. if the price is right, maybe you don't mind not getting the warranty, but just be warned.

BHPhotovideo.com tends to be reasonably priced and has good ratings as a merchant.
Thanks Gig103. I do agree with BHPhotoVideo.com's rating and service. I bought my Canon HV20 from them.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Scarecrows25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 - Jet Black

I'd look for a deal on just the body, and spend the savings on a quality lens. Most of the kit lenses are not good quality.

The number one lesson in SLR buying -- if in a quandary about spending money on a body or money on good glass, always go with good glass.
      05-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
Vroom TURBO
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 x7

http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-brand...browse=3017941

Get it from Amazon. You'll get your camera from a vendor with warranty. Try Cameta Camera!!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
tonykhar
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sp. 1996 Camaro SS

Talking about camera equipment online stores. For those that find that some of the deals are too good to be true.. Well most of the time they are. Here is a site that has pictures of store fronts that some online shops have. Most are drop Box places and not real places. Most Dont even have the stuff that they offer an do a bate and switch.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/brooklynstores/

Spend a little more and save on the Headaches.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
I appreciate the advice Gig. I do not NEED all of the stuff that comes on ebay but it does seem a little too good to be true. I will mostly use the camera (starting out anyway) for taking car pictures of course, along with birthday events, family gatherings, friends, etc. I'm sure the starter lens will be more than sufficient for me to learn with. I will look into bhphotovideo. I was originally leaning toward newegg.
It is too good to be true. 99.99% of these deals are not what they seem. Either they omit things like battery covers, batteries, straps, etc, which is BS, or worse, they send you grey market equipment that is not covered by Nikon or Canon warranty in the US. It's much cheaper to buy, but I wouldn't. Too much to go wrong. Also, before you buy any camera, go to a store and handle it. Is it comfortable? My camera fits my hand like a glove. If you can palm a basketball, you'll hate a D40 or an XTi. They're tiny. A D80 or comperable Canon may be better, but you may want to step up to a prosumer grade camera like a D200 (killer deals right now) or equivalent Canon. The brand is not important. What matters is that the interface is easy and intuitive, and the functions like white balance, ISO and picture quality are easily and directly adjusted. You don't want to have to go diggin in a menu to adjust these functions. They're the 3 kings of the digitial camera world, so to speak, and you want to have direct access to them.

Stick to the mainline sellers. Adorama, B&H photo, Ritz/Wolf, or even Amazon (not 3rd party amazon retailers, buy only direct from Amazon). These places all offer genuine US spec equipment at a fair price. B&H and Adorama also carry grey market gear, but they carry the warranty, and the note it up front in plain site on the ad if it is grey market. Adorama and B&H have been around forever, they'll be there to support their warranty.

As for the lens, I can't help you much with Canon, but the Nikon kit lens included with some of the D200/300 and D80 are pretty good. Look for the AF-s designation, and it's a good lens. If you're a complete noob, look for a camera that is comfortable for you to handle, then go out and take thousands of images. The lens doesn't matter at this point, if you really are a noob. It just matters that you get out and shoot, and for the love of all things holy and good, DON'T USE THE DAMN PROGRAM OR AUTO MODES!!!

Now, don't take that the wrong way - the lens is a far more important piece of equipment than the body, but learning to use the equipment properly is more important than the lens. As a noob, I'd even say that a tripod is more important than a lens. Get yourself a good tripod before you start dropping $500-$5000 on lenses. Check out Bogen / Manfroto for good, inexpensive tripods and tripod heads.

Before you drop bank on lenses, you will do well if you can learn how to use the light meter, learn what aperature and shutter priority do, and most importantly, learn to use the camera in full manual mode. Experiment with composition, and learn what makes a good photo. Study the works of other photographers, and see if you can figure out what you like in their photos and what you don't like. Don't rely on photochopping to make the photo - you can do photography in the camera if you understand how your camera works. Don't get me wrong, there are cool things you can do with photoshop, but that should be a tool, not a crutch. My best images, the ones that I sell pretty easily, have never even been opened in photoshop.

That's just my $.02.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
M3350Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well it looks like my search isn't going so well. I went to Bestbuy today just to hold a couple camera's and see how the nikon and the canon compared in terms of feel. Unfortunately, both the D40, the XTi, and the XSi (etc.) felt way too small in my hands. It was kind of cramped and the controls didn't seem ergonomically correct for me. I picked up a 40D and that felt more like the size I should be holding but I wasn't looking to spend that much money. Any alternatives to look at?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Look for a used D200. Check adorama or the 'bay. Of course, be careful on eBay, but I've been very successful picking up photo equipment there. Just ask for a picture of the serial number on the camera to make sure it's not a gray market piece. If you ever need to get it repaired, you're screwed with a gray market camera.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #12
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Well it looks like my search isn't going so well. I went to Bestbuy today just to hold a couple camera's and see how the nikon and the canon compared in terms of feel. Unfortunately, both the D40, the XTi, and the XSi (etc.) felt way too small in my hands. It was kind of cramped and the controls didn't seem ergonomically correct for me. I picked up a 40D and that felt more like the size I should be holding but I wasn't looking to spend that much money. Any alternatives to look at?
At least with the XT and XTi (maybe the XSi?) there is a battery grip that you can attach to the bottom of the camera. 1. it will increase battery life since you are adding an additional battery and 2. handling the camera would be easier since it is larger. I have small hands, so the xti is perfect for me. With the battery grip, i think the xti would be the best purchase, even though the XSi is far superior.

Oh, and as Scarecrows25 mentioned, save up for a good lens. The camera body can only do so much. Quality pictures come from 1. skill and 2. lens.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
M3350Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok I played with the XTi again today and realized my first impression wasn't all that great but after snapping a couple pictures I realized it actually was much to my liking. Now for the dilemma:

What would you choose considering all other factors (including money) equal.
Rebel XTi or D60?
Appreciate 0