E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Service Light - Keeps resetting to 0?

12-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Oil Service Light - Keeps resetting to 0?

I've got a strange problem with my car and I'm not sure what is causing it. I know this is an E90 board but I think this is an issue which is not model specific and this board gets more traffic.

I was playing around reading and clearing codes with INPA and after I started my car I noticed the Oil Service light come on. It said "-37000mls". Which funnily enough it the mileage of the car.
My next oil service is booked in before Christmas so I just reset the warning and it went back to being 20000mls until next due.
Since then the counter has gone back to 0 again several times (not seen it return to -37000 again).

It seems to do it after I plug into the OBDII port but not every time, just on the odd occasion.

Has anyone seen the Oil Service counter act like this before? Could it be the oil condition sensor is faulty or that my oil is urgently in need of replacement or even that me plugging into the OBDII port is somehow screwing with it?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The zero-miles reset issue shows up in E90 N52 ECUs at the next one or two oil changes after the car reaches 186,000 miles. According to BMW the CBS is programmed this way. I'm not sure what your issue is other than you may have messed something up with the IPNA cable. It might need an ECU reflash to get things set straight.
Appreciate 0