E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Calling/Audio Streaming Solution

07-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
xjohnnyleex
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Bluetooth Calling/Audio Streaming Solution

Background:
I have a 2009 335i sedan that did not come equipped with Bluetooth hands free calling or audio streaming capabilities. My head unit basically only has AM/FM, CD and AUX capabilities.

I was looking around for a functional and not totally hideous looking solution for the car and came across the Kinivo BTC450 kit on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450-...eywords=kinovo

Based on the stellar reviews I decided to give it a try.

Install:
There is not much to the device when it arrives. You have the control unit, the power unit that goes into your cigarette lighter and the 3.5 mm aux cable that are all attached to each other.
Also in the package are some sticky pads to mount the control unit wherever you decide to.
View post on imgur.com

I decided to mount the control unit in a discreet place I would easily reach, but still be out of the way and hidden. I went with the area on the side of console near the driver's right leg. I then ran the wiring in the center console seam to hide it and into the center arm rest where I conveniently have a cigarette lighter and aux port.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

After powering up the car the unit immediately went into pairing mode and I connected my iPhone5 to it within seconds.

Thoughts and Impressions:

Pros:
There are some big benefits to this unit that I see make it superior to other similar options out there:
- It powers on and connects automatically to my phone when I start the car within seconds.

- Audio quality is excellent for music. I can't tell the difference between this and plugging in my phone to a wired Aux cable.

- The buttons on the control unit itself are extremely useful:
There are fwd and back buttons that are used to move through audio tracks. I tested this with Spotify and Pandora on my phone. The main button Kinivo calls the multi-function button has several uses. Pressing this once pauses/plays audio streaming if it is playing OR can answer/end a phone call.
Double clicking it calls the last person you dialed from the paired phone.
Holding the button for 2-3 will launch Siri. This is EXTREMELY useful. For example I can launch Siri while driving and ask for directions. My phone will then open the Maps app and off I go!

- Hands free calling mic audio quality is excellent. I tested this while driving and made a phone call and the other party said they could hear me fine.

- There is a built in USB port on the power unit. This is great so you can keep the ability to charge your phone from the cigarette lighter you chose to power the Kinivo unit.

Cons:
- Only one phone can be paired with the unit, however Kinivo does sell a slightly more expensive unit that can pair 2 phones simultaneously.
http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC455-...eywords=kinivo

- Aesthetics: I don't think this is really the fault of the device, but more of a preference on my part. Based on where you mount the control unit you may have wires visible. This is a pet peeve of mine as I want as clean a console/dash environment as possible. This may not be a problem for everyone, but it was important to me. However, where I managed to mount the device works perfectly for me.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Last edited by xjohnnyleex; 07-17-2014 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:47 AM   #2
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Hello - if you are still on the board, I would like to hear if you are still using and liking this unit?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
xjohnnyleex
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Hi, yes I still use this on a daily basis and like it as much as I did when I posted the original review.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
slimxb8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I love my 455 . Works perfectly and connects everytime. Only issue is if you walk away with car running and phone in pocket I have to toggle bt on phone to get it to reconnect.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

I've asked this in another thread, so forgive me but haven't heard an answer yet. Has anyone done a sound comparison between this and the viseeo? I know people say they both sound good, but am wondering if the more advanced BT features of this unit make it sound better than the viseeo.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

So my E92 has bluetooth for phone calls, does that mean all I'd need is this Kinivo BTC450 and I can connect my Galaxy Note 3 and my Galaxy Tab 4 to stream audio? I use my Kuda mount for my phone and tab to watch netflix and youtube, but I have to run my Aux cable from my center armrest to the top center part of the dash and it's tacky.. I hear and see these terms "A2DP" and all that but not quite sure what it relates to on my car, I assume it's my type of bluetooth connection or something??

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
slimxb8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Yes Beast you are correct. I use mine with my Note 4. I set it so calls go thru the car OE bluetooth, audio from slacker/milk/pandora are picked up by the 455 kinivo, and I can still use OBDII BT adapter to run Torque or BMWHAT. All three at the same time... kinda cool.

I got the 455 since you can have your phone and someone elses paired...if they wanna play a song they can with out unpairing.

If a call comes in while streaming, it pauses and rings...picks back up after ending call.

Best thing is that it just works... dont even touch it, at least I havent since I plugged it in.... sound quality is perfect too.
Appreciate 0