Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Quality of Velocity Motoring CSL wheels?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Closed Thread

01-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #177
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsig View Post
I hate to say but that wheel looks like shit.

Am i the only one that can see the lip is twice as wide on the left as it is on the right? Surely this is no optical illusion. I dont need a box around it to see that. Even if it is round and balanced, it looks really bad. I wouldnt put that wheel on a 45,000 automobile if someone paid me to.

Im not trying to bash VMR, but I will admit Im not happy with their product at all. The design is great, which is why I bought them. But I am super pissed about the paint issue.

Either way, that wheel looks way off. Funny thing is, the lip looks nothing like the lip on my 710s. It looks like there is no recess either, on the lip

And whats with the recessed "box" area on the right side between the lug holes? Looks like a spot where an M logo goes or something? Mine doesnt have that.

Is that even a VMR wheel?

As for the specialized equipment - Ive never seen anything like that around here.. Im just confused as to why my TSW's (painted) never chipped and had 3 sets of tires mounted on them, with balances and rotations every 3,000 miles religously, and my VMR's got chiped around the lug holes and hub hole the first time. Same shop, same guys.

The wheel pictured in the above post is a VMR VB3 wheel. It is a different design from the V710 wheel you purchased from us.

All shops have different equipment that they can use and choose from. That is why I posted the how we mount and balance our wheels.
      01-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #178
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I agree with the whole soap and water on the wheels, if you dont clean them often and need something a little stronger I would recommend Chemical Guys Wash N Gloss Car Shampoo (2 Ounces per 2 Gallons) and if you still need something stonger P21s Wheel Cleaning products,
http://www.p21s.com/products/bis_wc1.html

"Europe's automakers agree when it comes to wheel care!

A 100% acid-free wheel cleaner that's safe for all types of wheels. Recommended by Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Volvo, VW and Audi to remove brake dust and road grime. This is a water-based non-acidic detergent that provides great cleaning and guarantees not to damage any type of wheel.

P21S Wheel Cleaners are the famous German-made factory approved way to remove corrosive brake dust from alloy wheels. Safe, pH controlled, non-acid, non-lye based formulas are guaranteed not to attack any type of road wheel, braking system or other automotive surface.

While a bit more costly, P21S Wheel Cleaners are significantly cheaper to use over the long run based on the surface safety they offer. Word of P21S's now famous surface safety spread rapidly during the eighties as owners of expensive road wheels found out the hard way that not all wheel cleaners were created alike.

One key advantage P21S Wheel Cleaners is that you don't have to know all about wheel finishes to find your way to the right formula...

Many consumers are tricked by purchasing a cleaner for uncoated cast wheels only to find out that it destroyed a sensitive coating they never knew was there in the first place! When P21S introduced their wheel cleaners in 1984, they believed their competitors' strategy of offering different formula cleaners for different wheel types was a disaster and still believe so today. Simply stated, P21S Wheel Cleaners work safely and effectively on every type of wheel and wheel coating on the market. No guess work required!

Regular Formula - for normally soiled wheels that typically receive frequent cleaning. Spray on, touch stubborn spots with a sponge and rinse off with a sharp stream of water.

**P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner - for wheels that tend to soil heavily due to higher braking speeds, softer brake pads or infrequent cleaning. Spray on, allow to stand up to two hours, touch stubborn spots with a sponge and rinse off with a sharp stream of water. Gel composition clings to vertical surfaces to provide increased cleaning effect.

Manufactured in Germany."
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #179
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

here's my front wheel after one week of ownership. the paint came "bulged" and cracked from the factory, and after a week of use... lift off

also i am experiencing steering wheel shimmy on highways, seems like this is a common problem?

sigh...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #180
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

^ are those v710? i will have to check mine tommorow
      01-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #181
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Three points to add:

1. I have seen 1 local set of VMR CSL replica's paint finish got trashed after the tires are mounted locally by a very capable shop.

2. Balancing them on the Hunter RoadForce was a PITA

3. The 18" CSL replica weighed more than my 19" OEM ZCP

Know the facts about replica wheels before you buy them.
      01-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #182
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsig View Post
I hate to say but that wheel looks like shit.

Am i the only one that can see the lip is twice as wide on the left as it is on the right? ....
Ya you're right... it looks like the wheel was deformed right when the aluminum got cast.
      01-20-2009, 12:00 AM   #183
VMRWheels
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
We've issued call tags for this customer and will inspect the finish and the wheel/tire shinny when they get here. As with all potential customer service/warranty situations, the customer will not have to pay a dime for the back and forth shipping. Will also do a full diagnosis of the wheel, the tire, the balance to figure out where the shimmy is coming from. With our equipment, we are able to perform an in-depth analysis and provide the results. Based on the volume we move on E90post, the issues, no matter how low the percentage might be, will end up sneaking their out. Regardless, customers can enjoy the same service level/attitude before and after the sale. Any questions please e-mail or PM me directly. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
here's my front wheel after one week of ownership. the paint came "bulged" and cracked from the factory, and after a week of use... lift off also i am experiencing steering wheel shimmy on highways, seems like this is a common problem?

sigh...
      01-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #184
E91_E88_E21
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: E91 m-sport, E88 m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
Ya you're right... it looks like the wheel was deformed right when the aluminum got cast.
this is the problem exactly.
the production is technical not perfect.
      01-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #185
E91_E88_E21
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
We've issued call tags for this customer and will inspect the finish and the wheel/tire shinny when they get here. As with all potential customer service/warranty situations, the customer will not have to pay a dime for the back and forth shipping. Will also do a full diagnosis of the wheel, the tire, the balance to figure out where the shimmy is coming from. With our equipment, we are able to perform an in-depth analysis and provide the results. Based on the volume we move on E90post, the issues, no matter how low the percentage might be, will end up sneaking their out. Regardless, customers can enjoy the same service level/attitude before and after the sale. Any questions please e-mail or PM me directly. Thanks!
bla bla bla
      01-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #186
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_90 View Post
bla bla bla

I can totally see your frustration. I hope there'll be a resolution for your trouble.
      01-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #187
STUNT-MAN-HANS
ME AND MY GREAT DANE AGAINST THE WORLD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135,6SPD,AW,BLKLTHR,BLKTRIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
I've now had 6 sets of clear coated painted wheels, OE and aftermarket, and never ever heard of such nonsense. I've used Mothers and other wheels cleaners on every one of them, and never seen a problem like peeling clear coats or paint.

Soap and water doesn't remove brake dust and tar.

It sounds to me that these wheels are just poorly made. Whether Rota is the exception or not (they're not) is moot. Inexpensive wheels does not equal crappy quality and peeling coatings.

If those wheels were mine, (that picture you psoted) even after a year, I'd be sending them back for a full refund. That's obnoxious!
+1 I agree. Cheap or not I have never heard of anything like this before! And I worked along side my father in a professional detail shop that was a family bussiness for about 20 years. And you can clean your wheels with soap and water. The tar will not come off but how often do you really get tar on your rims. I was looking at a set of these for my 135 but now I have changed my mind as I love this car! Its a modern classic and its a bmw so I refuse to put something on my car that is of terrible quality. I beleive that while they are priced on the cheap end that does not mean that they should have any paint issuescharge 250.00 more a set and powder coat the wheels!!! The only thing that should be an issue is weight not the finish! I give these wheels two thumbs down for their poor quality finish, nothing else.
      01-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #188
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep

Quote:
jetzt mal ganz langsam VELOCITY

ich mach das jetzt mal in deutsch weil mir fast die Hutschnur platzt.
zwei Felgen sind definitiv nicht rund. ich habe dies prüfen lassen sogar von einem Sachverständigen TÜV Prüfer. Alles wurde so gut wie möglich ins englische übersetzt. Niemand aber auch niemand weder VELOCITY noch jLEVI habe dies verstanden oder wollten dies.
Da wurde behauptet der Reifendienst sei zu blöd die Reifen zu wuchten. Dann waren die Reifen schuld an der unwucht. Und selbst das Prüfzeugnis und die Videos wurden angezweifelt. Ich sage es jetzt mal ganz deutlich VELOCITY scheißt darauf was Kunden anmerken. Da ich soweit weg bin wurde die Verdrängungstaktik angewendet. Immer wollten sie einen Ausdruck der Wuchtmaschine. das ist aber nicht Zielführend. Jeder der ein wenig technisches Verständnis hat wird mir zustimmen können. Technisch läßt sich selbst ein unwuchte Felge auswuchten. 100 gramm und mehr technisch kein Problem. Trotzdem ist die Felge dann nicht rund und generiert holpriges Fahrverhalten.
Hier wurde ganz klar auf Zeit gespielt da Sie wussten ich brauche die Felgen zügig da der Winter vor der Tür stand.

Sollte einer dies 100% ins Englisch übersetzten können Bitte ich darum. Ich habe es in unzähligen Mails leider nicht geschafft und entnervt aufgegeben.

Freundliche Grüße

zu sagen ist noch, daß ich mir andere Felgen besorgen musste und die CSL im Keller liegen. Da die Reifen montiert waren gehe ich nicht davon aus, daß VELOCITY diese jemals umtauschen wird.

maybe obsolete, but I will take an attempt to get E_90s message across to you guys:
Velocity Guys - take a step back.

I am going to write this in german as I am about to freak out.

2 alloys are definitely NOT round. to prove my point, I have even had these alloys checked by a TÜV investigator to prove this point. Everything was translated (to my best knowledge) in english. No one, that inlcudes Velocity and jLEVI, understood the situation or wanted to understand the situation. They claimed the tire shop was not "good enough" to mount and balance th tires. Furthermore, there were claims from them that the tires were blamed for the imbalance. Even the videos and the test certificate (of the mounting) was questioned by those guys. My point is: VELOCITY pi$$es on what customers feedback to a problem. Because I am based abroard in germany, they have opted to choose the path to suppress the subject. They always wanted the report of the balancing machine, although this makes little sesne. Everyone who has some technical understanding would agree with me. Technically you can take a inbalanced wheel and balance it with 100gram or more. However, the alloy is still not round and will cause a bumpy drive. Clearly they were playing on time becuase they new that i desperately needed the alloys because winter was around teh corner.

I would appreciate if someone can transale this 100% in englisch. I have not managed to find a solution after several mails and have now given hope.

with kind regards

i should mention that i have bought myself a new set of wheels while the CSLs are collecting dust in the basement. Because the tires were mounted on the wheels, I do not assume Velcotiy will ever take the wheels back...

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 01:17 AM   #189
VMRWheels
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
bla bla bla
E_90, I don't understand the meaning behind your postings. On 1/12, I offered to pay for return shipping to inspect the wheels you claim to have a problem with. I just sent you another PM with our address and return instructions.

At this point, we have not received the wheels nor a tracking number. When you get a chance, please send it back, so we can examine the wheels and take appropriate steps after that.

Just another point for everyone to think about... Each time a customer has an issue with the wheels, we cover for all shipping expenses in order to resolve the issue. In reality if there are as many issues as certain people make it seem to be, we certainly wouldn't be in business today.

Quote:
We are offering the following resolution: please send us the wheels back and we will run the wheels on our machine. We will document the entire process on video to show the results. If the wheels are indeed not within factory specifications, we will reimburse you the cost shipping from Germany to USA also send you two new wheels at no cost to you.

I'd also like to point out there aren't many, if any, companies that would address customer issues like this with such conviction and dedication. I feel we are able to offer customer service as at a much more personal level as we are very involved in the communities we service. We offer a direct line of communication to all our customers to discuss any and all issue you may have because we want to satisfy all our valued customers as best as we possibly can.
      01-23-2009, 03:20 AM   #190
E91_E88_E21
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
E_90, I don't understand the meaning behind your postings. On 1/12, I offered to pay for return shipping to inspect the wheels you claim to have a problem with. I just sent you another PM with our address and return instructions.

At this point, we have not received the wheels nor a tracking number. When you get a chance, please send it back, so we can examine the wheels and take appropriate steps after that.

Just another point for everyone to think about... Each time a customer has an issue with the wheels, we cover for all shipping expenses in order to resolve the issue. In reality if there are as many issues as certain people make it seem to be, we certainly wouldn't be in business today.
ty you got a mail yesterday. answer these
      01-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #191
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
If you wouldn't spray it on your BMW's paint, it shouldn't be used on your wheels.
I would agree with this.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #192
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

This conversation should continue via email or PM please.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread