E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > A little tyre help??

05-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 M2 LCI

A little tyre help??

Just had some Goodyear F1 Eagle Asymmetric 2's fitted on the front of my car (MV4's) but had 235 width fitted rather than 225 as I have gone 10mm wider on the rear..

Drove away from the tyre shop and its apparent that the tyres are making a droning noise, no vibration at all, just a strange drone...

I have checked the tyre pressures and they're spot on

Could this be due to the wider tyre?

I must say there was absolutely no noise at all before these were fitted, and it's disappointing because the non run flat tyre and a slightly thicker wall has made the car so much comfier

So do I take the car back and see if they'll take the tyres back and fit thinner ones? Or do I leave it a while to see if it does away?

Has anyone had any similar problems or fitted the wider tyre on the front?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 03:21 AM   #2
John320d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E93

Experiment with the tyre pressures.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 03:37 AM   #3
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Would the tyre pressures recommend to be higher as they're not run flats now?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 04:16 AM   #4
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Different tyres have different sounds. I guess without hearing it, its difficult to say wether its an abnormal noise, or simply that they sound different to whatever you had before.

They may also change as they scrub in.

You might want a few PSI more in them but dont go silly.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 04:28 AM   #5
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Chuck a few more PSI in as they're non-runflats. Hard to say if there's anything wrong until they're worn in. You'll still be driving on the harder top layer at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Ah okay, I've put them up a few PSI and it doesn't seem to have made any difference but I'll let them bed in I guess
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
Tim G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 3.0d LCI

I had some aweful Triangle tyres on the rear of my A3 when I got it. They were the worst tyres I've ever come across, lethal in the wet and droned something chronic. I normally run mid range/premium tyres and Ive never had another tyre that has made me notice a noise other than those god awful budgets!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #8
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim G
I had some aweful Triangle tyres on the rear of my A3 when I got it. They were the worst tyres I've ever come across, lethal in the wet and droned something chronic. I normally run mid range/premium tyres and Ive never had another tyre that has made me notice a noise other than those god awful budgets!
I've heard a set of budgets on a friends old polo and they were awful and in the end they resulted in a crash due to how poor they were in the wet! As a result I never run them myself, and if I ever hear someone near me opting for budgets I urge against it, he probably would've been okay in mid/top range tyres
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Those really awful tyres shouldnt even be for sale. We all hate regulations, but when they churn crap like that out and clueless folk fit them to their motor and go hurtling off down the road at 80mph its really quite scary.

Theres plenty decent branded tyres for only a small amount more than the cheapest crap and they're always a huge step up in performance.

I'm always dumbfounded when you see a nice car (often a performance model!) on huge 18 or 19" wheels with the worst tyres imaginable on it.

My own car has some awful tyres on the front and they'll be getting binned off before too long, they're awful in the rain so i'll probably change them at the tail end of summer when the weather begins to turn.

I put Eagles on the rear of it when i bought it and have run eagles on my previous cars and really find they cant be beaten, they're usually a very competative price, last well, and stick like the proverbial matter to a blanket.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 04:37 AM   #10
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I have used Falken, Vreds and Eagles and PSS tires on my 335d and now its PSS only. Michellin PSS are the best gripping tire i have used in the dry hands down. They are amazing in the wet too. The wear rate is also better than most.

In regards to tire pressures, as stated above just up the PSI a touch. But keep an eye on the tire wear across the tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 05:05 AM   #11
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I have upped the tyre pressure by 3psi on front and rears and am half expecting some odd tyre wear on the front, did a trip up to London from Plymouth the other weekend and half way up stopped off to find the outer edge of my front right tyre was rather hot and scrubbed up

Found a couple days later that it had a fair puncture so could've been down to under inflation
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:57 AM   #12
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

heavy shoulder wear suggests alignment issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 11:33 AM   #13
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d
heavy shoulder wear suggests alignment issues.
But I had it checked when I had these put on and it was bang on? I've not long had a four wheel alignment done
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 03:40 AM   #14
C.J
-_-
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by James-B93 View Post
I've had the exact same issue, same width increases, same tyres etc as you.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...goodyear+eagle

I was not happy, had my old tyres put back on for testing (and they were silent), so I knew 100% the tyres were causing the noise. Tracking was done, tyres checked, different pressures, rotated etc.

Conclusion: I continued to use them for 2,000 miles before they quietened down.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:27 AM   #15
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J
Quote:
I've had the exact same issue, same width increases, same tyres etc as you.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...goodyear+eagle

I was not happy, had my old tyres put back on for testing (and they were silent), so I knew 100% the tyres were causing the noise. Tracking was done, tyres checked, different pressures, rotated etc.

Conclusion: I continued to use them for 2,000 miles before they quietened down.
Did you try any other tyre in this size or did you put it down to the wider tyre? And you say they have quietened down? Is this just because you're used to it or they have genuinely become more quiet?

I've done just over 100miles on them now and I think I have got used to the noise..the missus got in the car just after I had them fitted and she said she couldn't really hear anything and she fairly in to cars and will notice if any noises are being made

I think it's purely down to the fact that I know how quiet the car was before these were fitted, even though they were mismatched run flats!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 05:48 AM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Did you try any other tyre in this size or did you put it down to the wider tyre? And you say they have quietened down? Is this just because you're used to it or they have genuinely become more quiet?
A couple of thoughts.

First the sound track could be different due to the size change, the air chamber can have an affect on the noise generated. Your wider tyre profile has a different internal cavity shape and size. May cause a louder hum.

Second point, have you standard suspension geometry, or modified suspension? Something like added camber can also change the sound track, and why it may change as the tyre wear a little, beds into the geometry. But normally that works the other way, gets louder as the tyre wears.

Can simply be a particular tyre brand/specification is noisier on one car, than it is on another. Not always understood why, (due to variables) but it is a reality.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #17
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
A couple of thoughts.

First the sound track could be different due to the size change, the air chamber can have an affect on the noise generated. Your wider tyre profile has a different internal cavity shape and size. May cause a louder hum.

Second point, have you standard suspension geometry, or modified suspension? Something like added camber can also change the sound track, and why it may change as the tyre wear a little, beds into the geometry. But normally that works the other way, gets louder as the tyre wears.

Can simply be a particular tyre brand/specification is noisier on one car, than it is on another. Not always understood why, (due to variables) but it is a reality.

HighlandPete
Suspension is standard at the front mate so can't see that causing an issue..

I've just come to terms with the fact it's due to the wider tyre profile and it's not too bad that I can't live with it, most people wouldn't notice it if they hadn't driven the car for months before the change
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 05:33 AM   #18
C.J
-_-
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I've done just over 100miles on them now and I think I have got used to the noise..the missus got in the car just after I had them fitted and she said she couldn't really hear anything and she fairly in to cars and will notice if any noises are being made

I think it's purely down to the fact that I know how quiet the car was before these were fitted, even though they were mismatched run flats!
They have definitely quietened down, but are still noisier than I remember the RFTs being. Before, they would drone over every surface, and was really noticeable around 30mph+.

Unfortunately I'm a fault picker, so there's always something wrong with mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 05:38 AM   #19
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J View Post
They have definitely quietened down, but are still noisier than I remember the RFTs being. Before, they would drone over every surface, and was really noticeable around 30mph+.

Unfortunately I'm a fault picker, so there's always something wrong with mine.
Exactly the same as me then, very noticable at 30mph and not too bad at majority of others speeds.

I have been really tempted to find a small garage that buys part worn tires and get them changed for the right size, but then similar to you being a fault picker I couldn't look at the car without noticing the slight stretch on the front and none at the rear
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #20
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

So is the moral of the story that if you replace RFTs with these to stick to the RFT sizes?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #21
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpom23 View Post
So is the moral of the story that if you replace RFTs with these to stick to the RFT sizes?
Potentially, I can't confirm as I haven't had any other tyres in this size fitted so unsure as to whether it is the tyre itself or the size, however changing to 265 NRFT on the rear made no noises at all

Also note that myself and C.J have had this trouble and both of us had Goodyear F1 Eagles fitted, would be interesting to fit either the same tyre in the correct size or a different tyre in the 265 size to see whether anything changes
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #22
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Potentially, I can't confirm as I haven't had any other tyres in this size fitted so unsure as to whether it is the tyre itself or the size, however changing to 265 NRFT on the rear made no noises at all

Also note that myself and C.J have had this trouble and both of us had Goodyear F1 Eagles fitted, would be interesting to fit either the same tyre in the correct size or a different tyre in the 265 size to see whether anything changes
Good point - I ask as this is my next potential 'mod' and I'd earmarked the F1's
Appreciate 0