E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Manual car rolls in second gear while parked

10-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #67
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billt335 View Post
1st gear and parking brake. Don't feel bad mine back into a light pole and it feel into a neighbors yard! Learned a lesson on that one!
Not too sure what you are drinking but what ever it I'll have one, because it has realy screwed with your brain, but i think I think I know what you mean.

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #68
Luke.S
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 325d M Sport

Use common sense. When facing down a hill leave it in reverse, when facing up a hill leave it in a forward gear.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #69
PTinVT
armchair enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 340xi, 02 325Cic, 93 850Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
I've always used reverse since it's the lowest gear ratio. (With the parking brake.)
With manual Saabs, a long time ago (if not still) you couldn't take the key out of the ignition unless the tranny was in Reverse. I never understood why, but the lowest-gear-to-prevent-rolling theory makes sense. [Maybe that's also why they had the ignition lock down on the console? Wacky Swedes]
'71 Buick Riviera, 455 V8 land yacht
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #70
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweiss View Post
Looks like I have found this thread a year after it's death. I ended up here by searching for a reason that my 330xi rolls backward when parked in 3rd or 5th gear. (not 1st). It happens a sluggish millimeter or two at a time, then a chug of an inch or two. My driveway is on a slight incline. Although I have not encountered this problem before in life, the problem now makes senses ... regarding engine compression and weight.
Well, while "engine compression and weight" are important factors here, what really makes a difference in your case is the gear ratio. There's nothing unusual in the fact that your car rolls in 5th (and maybe even in 3rd). But it shouldn't normally roll in 1st or 2nd (barring some extreme inclination angles).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #71
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
This thread is a good reminder to get our e-brake cables checked/replaced, if necessary
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #72
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

What a ridculous thread
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #73
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
What a ridculous thread
Yep, all down to a guy not realising you NEED to use the parking brake when you park and especially on any sort of incline!! AND he has a license to DRIVE

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #74
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTinVT View Post
With manual Saabs, a long time ago (if not still) you couldn't take the key out of the ignition unless the tranny was in Reverse. I never understood why, but the lowest-gear-to-prevent-rolling theory makes sense. [Maybe that's also why they had the ignition lock down on the console? Wacky Swedes]
The key in the console was because Saabs safety research showed a lot of serious knee injuries in crashes caused by keys in the steering column or dash. Since the key was in the floor, that made it easier to lock the gearlever than the steering column.

Locked in reverse was as you say, it is the lowest gear so the least likely to roll. And with the amount of friction inherent in the goofy classic Saab drive train, it would take Mt. Everest grades to get an old Saab to roll in gear. Not so with the new ones though!

Many Saabs in my past. I used to tell my Saab Club buddies that the only reason I bought Saabs was because I was too cheap to buy BMWs, but now I am older and make more money.

Last edited by krhodes1; 10-22-2011 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #75
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

BTW, the whole "use your parking brake" business reminded me--make sure you keep your parking brakes in good order.

Someone told me a good way to do it was to, under controlled conditions (no traffic), use the parking brake (with just a click or two) to stop the car gently from say 30 mph.

Anyone have any info on this?
      10-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #76
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTinVT View Post
That's how I acquired the habit!

I read that the SAAB ignition key on the floor was variously explained as designed so you don't hit the lock and keys with your knee in an accident, and to logically cluster all the starting controls -- ignition, parking brake and gearshift -- in the same place. They offered both explanations in the same sales brochure.

One of my SAABs was one of the best cars I ever owned, and another one of the worst cars I ever owned and they were both the same model and even the same color! I gave up on SAAB after my indy threw in the towel and changed to Volvo marine. Both local SAAB dealers are no longer in business.

I think a car can occasionally pop out of gear, or the handbrake can occasionally disengage, but the odds of both happening at the same time are fairly low. Since I'm not a lucky person, I use both.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 01:23 AM   #77
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
BTW, the whole "use your parking brake" business reminded me--make sure you keep your parking brakes in good order.

Someone told me a good way to do it was to, under controlled conditions (no traffic), use the parking brake (with just a click or two) to stop the car gently from say 30 mph.

Anyone have any info on this?
I don't see the rationale. Your "parking brakes" are your ordinary everyday rear brakes. They are normally in good order, since you are normally using them all the time.

You can probably test your parking brake function by trying to stop the car with it. But as a maintenance procedure I don't see what it is trying to achieve.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 01:29 AM   #78
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
I don't see the rationale. Your "parking brakes" are your ordinary everyday rear brakes. They are normally in good order, since you are normally using them all the time.

You can probably test your parking brake function by trying to stop the car with it. But as a maintenance procedure I don't see what it is trying to achieve.
FYI>You do realize that the parking brakes and rear brakes are NOT the same thing for these cars right? The parking brake uses a brake shoe type assembly.

Name:  3.png
Views: 2626
Size:  8.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #79
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
FYI>You do realize that the parking brakes and rear brakes are NOT the same thing for these cars right? The parking brake uses a brake shoe type assembly.

Attachment 597299
On cars with 4-wheel disc brakes there is a little mechanical drum brake that's tightened by a cable -- the parking brake -- inside the rear disc. If one does not use the parking brake regularly (typical on AT cars where people depend on the parking pawl in the transmission) it can rust and freeze together. The parking brake is not hydraulic and is only engaged with the parking brake handle (or pedal).

E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #80
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

No, this thread is a good reminder that most people with manuals don't understand the basic theory of operation.

I am sure BMW will use this thread to prove that R123456 must be replaced with PRND for basic consumer safety.

You put the vehicle in gear when parked to support the parking brake. The parking brake does not support the gear to prevent rolling, it is the other way around.

If the vehicle is more likely to roll backward due to slope then use first, if the vehicle is more likely to roll forward then use reverse. And make sure the e brake has been applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassub View Post
This thread is a good reminder to get our e-brake cables checked/replaced, if necessary

Last edited by BMWrules7; 10-23-2011 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #81
Pappy
Resident Septuagenarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i Coupe MT w/hand brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Note that if the rolling in gear causes the engine to turn backwards, bad things can happen to the timing chain and tensioners.
I'm not sure you can make the engine turn backwards......maybe if you stopped on a steep incline facing up and put it 2nd or 3rd...

Sent from my keyboard using hunt and peck...

Last edited by Pappy; 10-23-2011 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #82
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

and since prnd (auto) has entered the discussion, on an incline dont just rely on P to hold your car. Use the parking brake too.

Proper way is to set parking brake first then release foot from brake, THEN put in P. This ensures the weight isn't resting on the Park pawl inside the gearbox, because it can shear or break. When leaving, foot on brake, car in D, then release parking brake.
Appreciate 0