Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 4wheel drive vs snow tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
mr p-j
Private
Rep
Drives: 330 xd

if you are worried about gas mile. buy a diesel!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #24
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

You'll be fine with snow tires and no x drive. if you lived in heavy snow area where it snows more than a couple days a year, you might want x drive. otherwise i think you'll be fine. also, AWD with all seasons < RWD with snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #25
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
also, AWD with all seasons < RWD with snow tires.
That's incorrect. Having driven both extensively, I can vouch. Take it from a life-long driving Bostonian. I'd take AWD with A/S tires over RWD with snows ANY DAY.

dR
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #26
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
That's incorrect. Having driven both extensively, I can vouch. Take it from a life-long driving Bostonian. I'd take AWD with A/S tires over RWD with snows ANY DAY.

dR
you may well be right. *shrug*

how are weather conditions up where you live anyways? sounds like you go through a lot of snow every year.

also not sure how much snow OP gets. I live in Cali so this isn't something I worry about.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #27
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Varies widely depending on proximity to coast and elevation, but we get snow from late november to late february.

The first part of your post I'd agree with. If there's only a couple snows a year, save your money (and gas mileage, which i understand is better on the i?). Depending on temperatures (get below 50?), you may not even want to swap off the summers.

Easton PA is steel country i think (near Allentown and Bethlehem?) I think they get some good snow out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #28
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr p-j View Post
It's funny, everybody worries about gas mileage with AWD. For some reason, every BMW I've ever had (including my E46M3 but excluding my M6) has averaged 24 mpg mixed driving.

I was a little worried about my '11 335 x-drive, but it's the same 24MPG as my '07 328-xi on my same daily commute.
      12-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #29
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Comparing an SUV to a regular passenger car is kind of silly. The center of gravity differences totally destroy a comparable situation on tire contact and stability in a loss-of-control situation. For an honest comparison, how many subarus do you see in a ditch? SUVs are in ditches for different reasons than their AWD.

As for whether someone "needs" an AWD automobile, that's kind of a silly statement. The comparison is what format is best for inclement weather, and the answer is unequivocably AWD > FWD > RWD.

A skilled driver knows the difference. It's not about a false sense of security, it's about good drivers knowing the capability ceilings of each format, and clearly, apples to apples (meaning largely tires are equal in each test), AWD is far superior.

Can you get to the grocery store in RWD with summers while it's snowing, sure. Is it a pain in the ass and less safe? Yes. The "just fine" argument is where this lands every time. Many of us are looking for a ride in our $50,000 vehicle that surpasses "just fine."
We'll have to agree to disagree. I live in a suburb of Rochester NY and I live next to Lake Ontario...I know what snow is like to drive in. (We average 9 feet a year.)

As I mentioned, I've had all types of vehicles including SUV's. My RWD cars with snows do as good as anything else I've driven.

***EDIT***

I should quantify; my RWD cars with snows do as good as any SUV or AWD car I've driven with all seasons.

Last edited by BMWsky; 12-28-2010 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #30
rteichman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Quote:
Easton PA is steel country i think (near Allentown and Bethlehem?) I think they get some good snow out there.
I need to update my profile. I moved to Philadelphia a few years ago. It's 60 miles south and closer to the cost. As such it has a milder climate. We only get a few snow storms a year. In the five years (other than last year) I had no need for the AWD or FWD as we had almost no snow. Last year I needed an SUV as xDrive BMWs did not have the road clearance to get through the unplowed side streets in South Philly. That was 2 days out of the whole year.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #31
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr p-j View Post
Tell BMW to import a 335d x-drive and I'm all over it. Mileage sucks in my 325xi, but with AWD and snow tires, I haven't gotten stuck anywhere yet. My brother gets much better mileage in his 330i. I missed a 330xi by a few hours at the dealership.
Not buying another BMW unless it's a 335d x-drive.
or 535d x-drive.

C'mon BMW, bring them over to the states!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #32
PeteW84
COBB'ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mini Cooper S

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.56]
There's no need of awd or suv, just get yourself some dedicated winter tires.

13 Mini Cooper S
08 E92 335i (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #33
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete84 View Post
There's no need of awd or suv, just get yourself some dedicated winter tires.
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #34
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Very few SUV drivers consider their tires and assume that their AWD will take care of the problem.

An x-drive with snow tires will run rings around the standard SUV with all season tires assuming that you don't have clearance issues.

A two wheel drive with snows should do fine in most conditions. Can we guarantee it with your hill? Of course not, but it'll do much better than the all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #35
easyman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

for the 360 days those of us in the big cities don't have snow RWD is king(more enjoyable drive, better MPG, cheaper). For the few days a year we do get snow, snow tires should do.

Obviously AWD + Snow tires are king.

But given the choice between AWD and All Seasons or RWD with snows I'd chose the RWD with snows any day of the week. I figure it may be a bit harder to get going with RWD but I'd rather be stationary then slide off the road at speed because my tires lost traction. I had a 330i for 5 years with many trips North to Snowboard and through several heavy snow storms. In 5 years I only slid off the road once, the road was a sheet of ice, and got stuck once, in deep snow.

AWD would have helped that one time I was stuck in deep snow.. but for the rest of the year my car was much more enjoyable to drive than its AWD counterpart.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #36
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
It's funny, everybody worries about gas mileage with AWD. For some reason, every BMW I've ever had (including my E46M3 but excluding my M6) has averaged 24 mpg mixed driving.

I was a little worried about my '11 335 x-drive, but it's the same 24MPG as my '07 328-xi on my same daily commute.
I'm lighter. 30-40% city driving, 20mpg
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #37
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
I agree 100%.

I've owned FWD, RWD, and AWD cars and trucks with all-seasons, snows, and all-terrains. A RWD car with snow tires will brake and steer well, but you WILL have challenges going up hills. If you live on flat streets and you can make RWD+snows work for you, that's great. If you live out in hilly countryside, you will eventually figure this out for yourself - just hopefully not the hard way.

I put studless Blizzaks on my E36 M3, telling myself that with the limited slip diff, BMW's 50/50 weight balance and the superior braking and handling inherent in the chassis, I'd do alright. Although I could get up slick hills if I had momentum, I could not get up hills from a standing start - even with the LSD. One time traffic came to a stop on a hill and I could not get going again, so I had to shamefully put my hazards on, back up sharply onto the shoulder to avoid the guy behind me, go back down the hill when traffic cleared, and come back up it. Like AWD Addict says, there's no way around the laws of physics.

My first reaction when reading this thread title is that AWD and snow tires solve different problems:
  • AWD will make your going as good as your lateral cornering and braking.
  • Snow tires will increase your snow/ice grip.

If you have snow tires without AWD, you will have good lateral cornering and braking, but you will have a fraction of the acceleration traction. If you have AWD without snow tires, you will experience a loss of snow/ice traction in all categories - braking, accelerating, lateral cornering. In a harsh environment, there is no substitute for having both AWD and snow tires. If you don't live in a harsh environment, make a decision on which is best for you based on the tradeoffs above plus the cost to your wallet.

xi + snow tires = the king, the best, but kinda sucks in the summers (Nothern Ontario here, so we have way more issues than Philly)

Nothing goes through snow like AWD + snow tires (Audi is especially good with AWD, better than XDrive, though practically speaking it doesn't make a difference)

RWD with snows is good, but it cannot recover form a slide the way AWD with snows can...with AWD + snows, you can power your way through a slide on snow or even some patchy ice; RWD cannot give you this safety feature...all DSC can do is apply brakes and try to keep you in a straight line -- you will still understeer.

BUT AWD is a pain on gas, and if you have 6MT...all AWD cars bog off the line, their power delivery is not as immediate as 2 wheel drive cars (either FWD or RWD) so they feel clunky and heavy. Plus they are heavier and feel less agile and swift than RWD counterparts.

I have a 6MT xi - my 335xi is quite clunky and heavy out of 1st gear...it takes forever for the AWD tranny to pick up the power and distribute it to 4 wheels -- 2 wheels is simply faster availability of power when engaging the clutch, it JUST IS. This is the most frustrating part about my xi with 6 MT. WIth automatic, the XI is a no brainer. XI + Turbo = Automatic transmission all the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #38
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

I drove in blizzard like conditions this past Sunday for 4 hours on my stock 17" run flat tires and the car drove like a champ. I have a e92 328xi.
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:18 AM   #39
Pascal
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: E91 320xd touring

I follow this post with interest cause I commute with a 320d xdrive (33 MPG average). I am surprised you don't have them imported over to the US.
With a RWD, I would do like I did on mine: get a proper snow wheelset. This way, I've been able to fit once size lower (205/55/16" Nokian) and therefore narrower tyres for an even better grip.
Just leave them on when it is likely to snow, you will save you summers and your car from troubles.

In some countries nearby like in Germany, they are compulsory during a winter period (in Switzerland not).

Last edited by Pascal; 12-29-2010 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:39 AM   #40
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
save money and get snow tires for your BMW. Gas mileage is maybe what, a mile a gallon difference between an x and an i? my 335xi gets 21 around town /28 mpg hyw.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #41
Kikken
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife crazy.

Quote:
RWD is the worst of all formats for winter driving.
This is not always true, and in a car with 50/50 weight distribution (which our cars do have) it is certainly not true.

I've owned AWD, FWD, and RWD cars, and I'd take a decent RWD with snow tires over an AWD with all-seasons ("decent" meaning something with at least 50% of the weight on the back wheels). But certainly the best solution would be AWD with snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 06:40 AM   #42
mr p-j
Private
Rep
Drives: 330 xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Tell BMW to import a 335d x-drive and I'm all over it. Mileage sucks in my 325xi, but with AWD and snow tires, I haven't gotten stuck anywhere yet. My brother gets much better mileage in his 330i. I missed a 330xi by a few hours at the dealership.
Not buying another BMW unless it's a 335d x-drive.
or 535d x-drive.

C'mon BMW, bring them over to the states!
they donīt make the 335 d whit xdrive. but the 330 xd is nice. had forgotten that they donīt sell it in the us. and thats a shame! they really should.
but i think that this is going to change very soon!

i can get 37 miles to the gallon whit the 330 xd if i put the cruise at 68 mph.
usually and mixed driving, city and highway whit speeds of about 90 mph i get about 29.
never had a car that comes even close to that before.

car still has 238 hp and is pretty fun to drive.

about the awd rwd issue.
i would never get a car that is not awd again. whit that said i think that the guy that started the tread will do whit proper winter tires!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #43
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
I'm lighter. 30-40% city driving, 20mpg
Just curious but when you drive another BMW on the same drive, do you also get 20 MPG? Yes, I do have a chip on my shoulder about the gas guzzler tax on my old M3 that averaged the same 24MPG as every other BMW I've ever driven, AWD or RWD on my daily commute.
      12-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #44
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:

dR
How does AWD help you steer or stop better?

Getting forward motion (the only advantage of AWD) is a very small and insignificant part of driving in snow.

You'll have to steer and stop too. I suspect that you do that more often than going up steep hills.
Appreciate 0