E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Parcel shelf noise?

06-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
phil3103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 / E46M3

Parcel shelf noise?

Hi

Still absolutely loving my E90 330d that I bought last year. However, I've noticed that I'm getting a creak from the rear of car's interior. It sounds like its coming from between the rear screen and the parcel shelf. I think it's probably temp related as its only appeared over the last few weeks when it's been a bit warmer.

Now I remember reading somewhere that this was an issue with the E90 and there was a TSB or it (basically putting some felt in between the two I think) but can't for the life of my find it again.

Has anyone had this issue before and had it resolved satisfactorily?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I have a problem with a parcel shelf clicking noise and appeared after the car was only 3 months old. Went into the dealers several times until they reproduced the noise and acknowledged there was a fault. In Jan this year they attempted to fix the problem by putting some packing in somewhere but I dont know exactly what they did (service staff crap at explaining it). This lasted about 4 months and the clicking noise has re-appeared.
Its on my list to take it back to the dealers to have yet another look at it.

It really does drive me mad, this noise. Never had any problems like this on my old 330d in 2 and a half years.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
phil3103
Private First Class
Rep

Yes annoying is the word for it. Maybe I'm unreasonable but I just don't think brand new cars should click and creak. And if BM have fixes for these issues then they should've been implemented at production by now!!

I'll let you know how I go on getting it resolved.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M-Sport LCI

The passenger side door (I think) on my e92 creaks on and off.. It started driving me mad after only a couple of weeks of owning the car. Because its a quiet noise though and only happens 50% of the time I feel awkward about taking it to the dealer and potentially having to drive around with some begrudging staff member playing "did you hear that"
I'm changing some bodywork though so I guess I better had tell them beforehand or they will almost certainly try and blame it on the mods..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.Devol View Post
The passenger side door (I think) on my e92 creaks on and off.. It started driving me mad after only a couple of weeks of owning the car. Because its a quiet noise though and only happens 50% of the time I feel awkward about taking it to the dealer and potentially having to drive around with some begrudging staff member playing "did you hear that"
I'm changing some bodywork though so I guess I better had tell them beforehand or they will almost certainly try and blame it on the mods..
I've read on here somewhere that cleaning your door rubbers may help. People have posted up pictures on where to clean and what to use on it - but I cant remember where I saw it. Do a search for this......
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.Devol View Post
I've read on here somewhere that cleaning your door rubbers may help. People have posted up pictures on where to clean and what to use on it - but I cant remember where I saw it. Do a search for this......
Thanks! I'll have a look for that, did a 5 hour drive complete with squeeking soundtrack and It was becoming psychological torture..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
baz57
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330d SE LCI auto

I put up with a rattle/creak for years, on my pre LCI 330d. Turned out to be the warning triangle! Maybe just remove this as a precaution. You never know......
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
NightVisitant
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M-Sport 2011

Check the storage compartment that is attached to the underside of the boot lid - sometimes noises can come from its contents
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
rob77
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I've just done all the rubber on my doors, windows and frames and it really made a difference. I was hearing creaking/rattling from the front and rear of my car but now it's pretty much silent. I cleaned them with paper towels and some gt85 which you can pick up from Halfords. It's worth a shot as rattles can sometimes be deceiving and you think they are coming from one place and it's a different place entirely.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Not sure if the E90 is the same as the E92, but check the brake light on the rear screen isn't a little loose.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

My current list of rattles and noises:

1) Parcel shelf clicking (as mentioned above).
2) Rattly left rear seat - appeared after dealer attempted to fix 1) above.
3) Whistle noise coming from front A pillar at speeds over 70mpg+. Dealer cant replicate it and no idea what it is.
4) Various other rattles that seem to appear then disappear.

Problems that I have had but solved:

5) Squeaky seat for a few weeks - but this seemed to go away
6) Handbrake squeaked when releasing it - solved this with WD40.
7) I had a rattle that I thought was coming from the centre armrest. Turns out it was a plastic bottle under the passenger seat.

I must say I like my car and love the way it drives - but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired with regards to rattles/clicks/creaks/noises. I'd have expected A LOT better from a premium brand car.

I've had several brand new cars over the last 15 years (Rovers, Fords, Vauxhalls company cars) and this is by far the worse new car I've had for rattles/clicks/creaks/noises.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I'll join in with this.

I currently have one of these

shoved down each side of the dash between the dash, screen and A pillar. The dealer has never fixed the problem but I'm due a first service any day now and my car will not be leaving the workshop until it's sorted. I have to remove the A pillar trim to adjust the wedge about every month and I can now do it in minutes.

I also have something that comes from the rear of the car and only gets louder if I remove everything (and I mean everything - trim, boot floor etc) but doesn't do it if it's raining (!) so I'm guessing it's something external.

The thing is when the car it rattle and knock free it's sublime. When it's not I start looking at alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
phil3103
Private First Class
Rep

Rich

Completely agree. It's such a shame. Is that a rubber door stop?

Frustratingly since I've started to get wound up about the parcel shelf now I've got a rattle behind my right ear as I drive. Absolutely doing my nut in. I'm just going to book it in and let them take a look.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #14
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

That is indeed a rubber door stop. I cut about an inch off the thick end. Can't give you a BMW part no. though...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #15
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

All you guys complaining about squeaks and noises in your stiff fixed roof coupes don't know what noise is. You should try drving around in a E93 cab for a while, then you'd all realise you've got it easy, even my squeaks have squeaks

Still the one good thing about the cab is that they are all drowned out by the noise of that glorious straight 6 when I drop the roof.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Took the car to the dealer today for its own safety as I was about to rip the passenger door off, drove around with a technician for 15 minutes and for probably the first time since it came off the line it was totally silent! .
They kept it regardless and have just called me saying they've found the bit of trim causing the noise and can fix it BUT they have run out of felt and it's on back order so I have to take the car back next week. I'll be made up if it works.. I like how they claimed squeaks and noises are very uncommon earlier today and yet the guy on the phone just told me they've used so much felt lately that they've run out!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
phil3103
Private First Class
Rep

Alex

Please could you get info re the cause and fix? I too have a noise coming from the passenger door but was leaving that for another day as my parcel shelf is far not irritating!

If there's a service bulletin they refer to if you could post the code etc that'd be mega useful?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #18
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3103
Alex

Please could you get info re the cause and fix? I too have a noise coming from the passenger door but was leaving that for another day as my parcel shelf is far not irritating!

If there's a service bulletin they refer to if you could post the code etc that'd be mega useful?
Will do mate, I'm going to take it back week on Friday so I'll mention a friend has the same problem and get as much info as I can.
Appreciate 0