E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Tell me what I should do

05-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Tell me what I should do

Ok so lately my car has been making a weird rattling noise only sometimes and you can only hear it with the windows down btw 1st and 2nd shifts and sometimes when you rev the engine when its cold. It makes the noise right when a BOV would release air if I had one. I have no engine mods done. It doesn't sound like that tho, it sounds like a rattle that last about a second. So I'm thinking its either supposed to make this noise, its the wastegates, or its the DVs.

I had to bring my car in yesterday to get the rear brake pad sensors replaced b/c they were squeaking and I mentioned this to them, and I said you can hear it on a cold start when you rev it and btw shifts. After they fixed the pads they said they would like to hear the car when its cold so they set me up with a loaner on monday and I have to drop it off. Well the noise wasn't there this morning when I revved it, but it was there when I shifted to 2nd. Should I still bring the car in? or is this a normal sound? I don't want to be thought of the young annoying kid that is making a big deal out of nothing. I just don't want to them to go thru all this trouble and have a loaner set up and leave my car for 2 days for them to start it and hear nothing, and me look like an idiot.

What do you guys think?

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I would bring it to their attention the next time
you have to bring it in for service, but definitely before the warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
I would bring it to their attention the next time
you have to bring it in for service, but definitely before the warranty expires.
I have to bring it in on monday anyway b/c they have a new seatbelt hander arm on order for me b/c mine crapped out. You think its worth it to leave it and see what they can find?

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

i went over a speed bump bad one time, car scrapped and thumped. after that i had strange rattling noises that seemed related to rpms. freaked me out.

got her on jackstands and looked around. an exhaust bracket just after the transmission had folded back against the frame and was causing engine the vibration at high rpms to make serious rattling against the frame. bent it back, good to go.

take a look underneath, look at heatshields and your exhaust. anything with scrape marks investigate.

probably isnt whats causing your rattling, but worth a look if you recently scraped or something... part number 10 and 12 were bent back against frame.... not too clear in the diagram but one end clamps to both pipes, the other bolts to the back of the tranny mount.

Last edited by mike3000fl; 05-26-2010 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
I have to bring it in on monday anyway b/c they have a new seatbelt hander arm on order for me b/c mine crapped out. You think its worth it to leave it and see what they can find?
If you have to bring it back then bring it up and see if they can fix it. But, I would first take a look at what Mike pointed out to see if you damaged something. If you damaged something they might not cover it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
i went over a speed bump bad one time, car scrapped and thumped. after that i had strange rattling noises that seemed related to rpms. freaked me out.

got her on jackstands and looked around. an exhaust bracket just after the transmission had folded back against the frame and was causing engine the vibration at high rpms to make serious rattling against the frame. bent it back, good to go.

take a look underneath, look at heatshields and your exhaust. anything with scrape marks investigate.

probably isnt whats causing your rattling, but worth a look if you recently scraped or something... part number 10 and 12 were bent back against frame.... not too clear in the diagram but one end clamps to both pipes, the other bolts to the back of the tranny mount.
Alright cool I'll check that out, thanks a lot man.

Appreciate 0