E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Big brake kit Upgrade question

11-28-2017, 11:15 PM   #1
ProjectShift
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335 (n54) Deep Green

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Big brake kit Upgrade question

Hi , Im looking forward to upgrading the brakes on my e92 335(n54) to 6 piston calipers for track use.

Would it be recommended to upgrade anything else other than the basic brake components?( rotors, brake lines, pads...)
Is there such thing as upgrading any engine components that would help the calipers deliver reliable power?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectShift View Post
Is there such thing as upgrading any engine components that would help the calipers deliver reliable power?
Appreciate 2
BSM n54iS2684.50
RileyZ19.00
      11-29-2017, 12:15 AM   #3
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectShift View Post
Hi , Im looking forward to upgrading the brakes on my e92 335(n54) to 6 piston calipers for track use.

Would it be recommended to upgrade anything else other than the basic brake components?( rotors, brake lines, pads...)
The ABS system has a finite ability to respond to changes in the bias from front to rear, and is fully integrated into the stability management. Over bias the front and your braking performance will decrease.

It's a complete system and bias is critical to vehicle dynamics. On track this is even a bigger issue because over biasing the front can lead to over working the front brakes and overwhelming the system.

Do yourself a favor and talk to an expert in this area like Dave Zeckhaussen at Zeckhaussen Racing and get a bit of education from someone who REALLY knows what he's talking about as opposed to a bunch of people on the internet who THINK they know what they are talking about.

Any change you make will require a coding change, but keep in mind that the piston area ratios are critical, and sliding caliper calculations differ from radial mount calipers, so again, do your homework.

Start here:

Why Brake Balance Matters.

Follow up with a focused read of Walker's "High Performance Brake Systems."
      11-30-2017, 04:31 AM   #4
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
What about upgrading your master cylinder to a M3 one
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
What about upgrading your master cylinder to a M3 one
You totally change the torque ratio ahead of the ABS controller. You risk having the ABS unit fault due to over heating caused by more pressure and fluid than the system is calibrated to deal with given the OE factory hardware (assuming there are differences between your car and the M3).

This kind of failure was very common on Audi's in the early 00's when people thought they could play these brake mod games without consequences. Numerous modded cars had total brake failures on track due to the system faulting.

Best case scenario was the ABS unit had a temp fault and the entire system defaulted back to 50/50 brake bias, which is death on track. Worst case total failure, usually due to catastrophic over heating of the fluid do to the systems inability to deal with the thermal loads.

You can't just upgrade one bit in the system without over stressing the other parts.

Look up "system" and give it's definition a long, hard think.

ABS and all the stability management features in your car are DEEPLY integrated. The calibrations in those systems are not trivial. Brake upgrades offered by folks like StopTech and Brembo are VERY carefully engineered upgrades.

There are some other BMW direct swap options, but you have to carefully examine the systems from which they come from and consider all the coding implications to boot. If I was up-rating the MC, I would be looking to do the entire ABS subsystem as well, and up-rating calipers and rotors to match so the torque bias at the rotor was within spec for the factory calibrations, assuming your car could be coded for them.

Why not just do the Performance Brake kit from BMW for about $1800 and then do this with INPA. You may find that vague pedal you're probably worried about totally disappears.

Last edited by NiNeTyOne; 11-30-2017 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      12-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
ProjectShift
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335 (n54) Deep Green

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
NiNeTyOne this is exactly what I was looking for , Thank you for the help and advice.
Appreciate 0