E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Introducing VK Motorwerks Catless Downpipes

Closed Thread

01-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #89
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahlert View Post
thats not why the flex sections are used...
You're missing the point Sir.
I'm making a point about how 409 SS cannot take as much vibration as 304, hence the stronger 304, and hence the reason for the flex sections in the 409.
You can believe what you want about your flexy pipes and miss out on the fun.
Until you realize that they aren't needed, I'll be enjoying mine.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #90
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
You're missing the point Sir.
I'm making a point about how 409 SS cannot take as much vibration as 304, hence the stronger 304, and hence the reason for the flex sections in the 409.
You can believe what you want about your flexy pipes and miss out on the fun.
Until you realize that they aren't needed, I'll be enjoying mine.
i'm not worried about the 500 dollar downpipes breaking...i'm worried about it transferring load to the turbos/manifolds/head.

if the engine twists and now has to move the entire exhaust system to get some flex - think about the additional load that is placing on certain components.

not to mention no flex = more NVH - not something i look forward to on my 45k car.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #91
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

I think it does...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
...Referring to the 2007 Engine Management Docs as part of the sticky on this forum, page 11, it appears the Downpipes do NOT have flex sections.... but its possible that is outdated information as well.

Rob
Attached Images

01-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #92
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

I dont see flexes there either. I see a small O2 housing, which is V-banded to the turbine housing and to the DownPipe.... and then a Cat further downstream. I think thats what the pics dictated too. But while that illustration is up, can anyone tell me the part # for 3 and 4?

Rob

EDIT: Hell, maybe that is a flex... although its the weirdest flex Ive ever seen...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
I think it does...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #93
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

Quote:
I dont see flexes there either. I see a small O2 housing, which is V-banded to the turbine housing and to the DownPipe.... and then a Cat further downstream. I think thats what the pics dictated too. But while that illustration is up, can anyone tell me the part # for 3 and 4?

Rob

EDIT: Hell, maybe that is a flex... although its the weirdest flex Ive ever seen...?
#3 Part number: 18 30 7 553 601 ~$15 from Tischer

#4 Part number: 18 30 7 553 602 ~$17 Tischer
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #94
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
It is not your typical braided flex. The accordian style doesn't move by hand so it is limited in its flex-ability.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #95
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
It is not your typical braided flex. The accordian style doesn't move by hand so it is limited in its flex-ability.
So true!
The flexes that I've seen move as easy as a head on a dead body.
These "flex" pipes are very stiff.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #96
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:

How often are you playing the the heads of corpses????

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #97
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
right lol you got something to tell us Mr 5?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #98
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

Quote:
So true!
These "flex" pipes are very stiff.

Hmm, these heads on a dead bodies are we talking freshly dead cause then you can easily move the head. However, if your talking about a body with full rigor mortis then its very stiff indeed. Please clarify.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #99
Izzman7995
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@ V K Motorwerks View Post
Hmm, these heads on a dead bodies are we talking freshly dead cause then you can easily move the head. However, if your talking about a body with full rigor mortis then its very stiff indeed. Please clarify.
this is a morbidly obese comment..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 04:19 AM   #100
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Mr.5, there are some you cannot win with. If BMW made it then it must be better.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 06:19 AM   #101
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

mwahlert raises some very valid points in regards to stresses and increased load bearing from vibrations and resonance being imparted onto the turbos/manifolds/head. If I'm correct Supersprint also employ a means of controlling excess load/stress as shown in the picture below..............so who is to know what long term effects not fitting a flex /vibration damper plays on some of the upstream attached crucial engine parts that the downpipes hang off ???

These aftermarket DP's are from APR Australia for the 2008 Audi S3-8P and I'm sure they put flex sections on them for this very reason.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #102
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Mr.5, there are some you cannot win with. If BMW made it then it must be better.
and if some aftermarket company with 1/1000th the r&d investment makes them w/o it must be better - give me a break...just b/c it makes more hp doesn't mean its been thoroughly researched or tested. bmw probably spends more on stress testing the downpipes than every downpipe manufacturer makes in a year combined.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 07:07 AM   #103
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

you can always get the supersprint for 2500 USD if thats a concern.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #104
Ultimate Racing
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i, Evo VIII, WRX, STi, 350Z

Darryl

Last edited by Ultimate Racing; 01-29-2009 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #105
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Nice little email I received from Vince.

Thanks for showing us your true colors! Your complete inability to hold a technical discussion or answer questions, and emailing me threats certainly shows what you're all about.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:59 PM
To: ar design
Subject: Enquiry from ar design

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
As previously posted:

Where are they made?
Are you grinding welds to polish them?
Using argon backpurging while welding?

And FWIW, since you claim this is your design and not URs, have any pictures of your protos, car up on the lift while building them, etc?

Just because they are 2.5" does not mean they will fit the XI.

Exhaust gasses cool and shrink. Hence, further downstream in the exhaust, less flow is needed. How do two 3" downpipes going into a single 3" pipe make more sense than two 3" downipes going into two 2.5" pipes? I am a BIG fan of the AMS single 3" design, not knocking it in any way, just saying.....

He has the companies name next to his, and is still posting under their name... Not sure what to tell you.
Who cares where they are made besides you? Everytime I put out a product do I have to state what factory, location, and process of manufacturing we use? Give me a break. Its obvious that the welds are shaved down any body can tell you that. Keep it up bro, I know your just trying to troll and start stuff. Your down pipes are so great because...um yeah, there made in the US of A right? They are Argon back purged right? You dont shave your welds because you think it will comprimise the strength of the weld right? Interesting that you are so interested in these particular answers...gee, I wonder why?

My customers know we make quality products and we give them the best prices. Also they need not worry about the down pipes, because they know that they have a lifetime warrenty if something is defective. If you want to challenge me keep it up. I will put out 3" down pipes catted and catless. Ill sell them for around $400 a set and yes I will make sure the design is very simmular to yours. Perhaps I should do a Line-lock kit while im at it. Im sure people on this forum would love a $200 kit. Now you have a choice to make. Back off or get ready for a price/product war.

I have no interest in competing with you. I will tell you that all products are made by US incorporated companies.

-Vince
      01-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #106
OneBad335XI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Nissan GTR Prem.

That email just made you look like an asshole ar design. Stop whoring up every damn thread and just go away nicely.

Oh and btw your 3 inch design that tapers back to 2.5 is useless. Nothing is going to cool in a tiny section of pipe like you say. It is a waste. Probably why like only one or two people have ar downpipes.

Seems to me like your just afraid of a little competition. Good luck trying to compete with vk. I'm sure you'll go out of business soon. Oh, and this little scuffle will be great for the community cheaper products. Haha
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #107
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nice little email I received from Vince.

Thanks for showing us your true colors! Your complete inability to hold a technical discussion or answer questions, and emailing me threats certainly shows what you're all about.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:59 PM
To: ar design
Subject: Enquiry from ar design

Who cares where they are made besides you? Everytime I put out a product do I have to state what factory, location, and process of manufacturing we use? Give me a break. Its obvious that the welds are shaved down any body can tell you that. Keep it up bro, I know your just trying to troll and start stuff. Your down pipes are so great because...um yeah, there made in the US of A right? They are Argon back purged right? You dont shave your welds because you think it will comprimise the strength of the weld right? Interesting that you are so interested in these particular answers...gee, I wonder why?

My customers know we make quality products and we give them the best prices. Also they need not worry about the down pipes, because they know that they have a lifetime warrenty if something is defective. If you want to challenge me keep it up. I will put out 3" down pipes catted and catless. Ill sell them for around $400 a set and yes I will make sure the design is very simmular to yours. Perhaps I should do a Line-lock kit while im at it. Im sure people on this forum would love a $200 kit. Now you have a choice to make. Back off or get ready for a price/product war.

I have no interest in competing with you. I will tell you that all products are made by US incorporated companies.

-Vince
Hey Andrew,

What makes you think that I care to answer any of your questions? If you were a customer it would be a different story. My customers know that they get a direct answer from me anytime they ask. Its apparent that you scared and want to do whatever it takes to put down my stuff. Even running over to UR and making claims that we are putting out their product. I respect UR and wouldn’t do that to them.

Derral please wait until we put out the product, if they are the same as your downpipes then no problem we will pay you the royalties. However until then, please dont feed into the BS.

Back to you Andrew, Argon back purging is a common practice with welding, but you try to show that this process is equivalent to magic. As for where the pipes are being made and welded, really think about it, does it matter? I know you will claim it does, but it doesn’t, what does matter is who is doing the welding and that individuals skill.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #108
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBad335XI View Post
That email just made you look like an asshole ar design. Stop whoring up every damn thread and just go away nicely.

Oh and btw your 3 inch design that tapers back to 2.5 is useless. Nothing is going to cool in a tiny section of pipe like you say. It is a waste. Probably why like only one or two people have ar downpipes.

Seems to me like your just afraid of a little competition. Good luck trying to compete with vk. I'm sure you'll go out of business soon. Oh, and this little scuffle will be great for the community cheaper products. Haha
Vince, no need for two handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@ V K Motorwerks View Post
Hey Andrew,

What makes you think that I care to answer any of your questions? If you were a customer it would be a different story. My customers know that they get a direct answer from me anytime they ask. Its apparent that you scared and want to do whatever it takes to put down my stuff. Even running over to UR and making claims that we are putting out their product. I respect UR and wouldn’t do that to them.

Derral please wait until we put out the product, if they are the same as your downpipes then no problem we will pay you the royalties. However until then, please dont feed into the BS.

Back to you Andrew, Argon back purging is a common practice with welding, but you try to show that this process is equivalent to magic. As for where the pipes are being made and welded, really think about it, does it matter? I know you will claim it does, but it doesn’t, what does matter is who is doing the welding and that individuals skill.
I never said it was magic. I believe it is necessary to produce a quality weld. Can you explain what happens to the backside of the weld if its not argon backpurged?

Regardless, your threats are not appreciated, and have not gone unnoticed.
      01-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #109
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I never said it was magic. I believe it is necessary to produce a quality weld. Can you explain what happens to the backside of the weld if its not argon backpurged?
Thats not my handle and why are we still talking? Like I said, I dont care to discuss anything with you Andrew.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #110
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

Quote:

Regardless, your threats are not appreciated, and have not gone unnoticed.
i'd like to know.. any pics? I'm all for learning about welding.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread