E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > bluefin

02-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #23
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
On their website, they quote:

Original bhp : 286
Original nm : 580
BHP increase : 47
NM gain : 88
Lb/Ft gain : 65

How does this compare?
333bhp. Yeah not bad mate. Abour right i spose.
Buy it, run stock at the pod then upload it and see how it improves your car.
      02-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #24
1700T
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin View Post

The biggest advantage of Bluefin is the ability to carry out your remap via post/e-mail, personally I'd visit the HQ in bucks (MK18) to get the personal service plus free before and after RR.

Spin
By all means buy the unit, but pleeease don't take any notice of their rolling road figures.

Get an independent run done.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 05:38 AM   #25
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP Convertible

It's been asked a few times but not covered at length:

Does such a flash have the potential to exceed the safety parameters of the fuelling (fuel flow, air metering and heat generation) to the point where there's a much increased chance of engine failure?

I've had / seen maps aplenty on other cars, but they've been proper, expert RR mapping sessions from Ecutek etc...

I just have a concern that such 'piggy backing' or flash overides of the normal operating safety parameters (not just the expertly judged increase in performance of the components) could damage the car after prolonged use Especially on a track or day long run in the dales.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #26
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
With a reputable company like DMS for example, the stock safety parameters are not removed.

There are still the torque limiters in 1st and 2nd gears... There is always BMW own limp home mode if anything goes haywire like a boost spike.
      02-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #27
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcook View Post
It's been asked a few times but not covered at length:

Does such a flash have the potential to exceed the safety parameters of the fuelling (fuel flow, air metering and heat generation) to the point where there's a much increased chance of engine failure?

I've had / seen maps aplenty on other cars, but they've been proper, expert RR mapping sessions from Ecutek etc...

I just have a concern that such 'piggy backing' or flash overides of the normal operating safety parameters (not just the expertly judged increase in performance of the components) could damage the car after prolonged use Especially on a track or day long run in the dales.
Superchips have been in the industry for donkey's years. I think they know what they are doing. Have read many a good review on Bluefin and was going to get it for the GT TDi, but switched cars insteda.

I think the 220hp / 450lbs for the 177D might be a tad overstated but based on other BF owners comments and particulatly in-and-around the VAG cars (which I've owned most of my dtiving life) I wouldn't be concerned about saftey parameters which such a reputable company.

But, as mentioned, the best you can get will be a personal map to you car, although with BF (again VAG based) I know that they had various maps for the various ECUs and what not, so you would get a map that was the closest match for your car, and if it wasn't right you could pop into the nearest ecntre and get it on the RR.

All this means more choice which can't be a bad thing.

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #28
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Looking at the gains (335D) the Bluefin offers,they seem quite conservative in comparison to what other mappers can and do achieve in terms of gains.
It looks like they have erred on the side of caution in terms of safety parameters and reliability issues with the unit, which looks like a good bit of kit.

I wonder how Evolve are progressing with their multimap version of the same idea?

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #29
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d SE Steptronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Looking at the gains (335D) the Bluefin offers,they seem quite conservative in comparison to what other mappers can and do achieve in terms of gains.
It looks like they have erred on the side of caution in terms of safety parameters and reliability issues with the unit, which looks like a good bit of kit.

I wonder how Evolve are progressing with their multimap version of the same idea?

I would second this.

My 330d has a Superchips re-map on it, and although not applied by the use of bluefin, it was along the same lines, ie: downloaded from a lap-top (by Ant @ SpeedReligion).

As Hotcoupe says, the figures are again conservative, eg: mapped from 231 to 275bhp, and 427lbs ft, which is definitely below what other tuners seem to be achieving.

It does, however, give me the peace of mind that it should be comfortably within safety tolerances.

Oh....and it`s also bloody, bloody fast !!!!!!!!!!!
      02-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #30
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

This remap looks really tempting since i can add and remove it when required, and i get another 40 odd horses to my 177BHP. How does this put me with BMW warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #31
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
This remap looks really tempting since i can add and remove it when required, and i get another 40 odd horses to my 177BHP. How does this put me with BMW warranty?
Pete,the answer is in your question

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #32
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Pete,the answer is in your question
True!

Although i'm just wondering incase anything went wrong in the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 05:31 AM   #33
neilmc
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT

I have just ordered one of these for my e90 edition,paid £391 or so,10% discount for forum members. They were out of stock friday morning, but were due in later that day or Monday. Will post up results and findings when it arrives and I have installed it.
Incidentally, warranty wise, if it is put back on the standard map when in for service, surely it should be fine? superchips chap said it is not detectable anyway. I have heard that the ecu has a counter to say how many times it has been changed? but even if it says 5 times for arguments sake, if it is on the standard map at the time of a warranty claim, how can they proved the remap caused it and that the owner did the remap? It is BMW's word against the customer in my opinion. Any views on this? Also has anyone had a remap discovered by the garage? and what happened if they did?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #34
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
I wouldnt worry about it...i think there glad to have the work and paid ...seeing as there a franchise i dont think there bothered...dough is dough at the min.

seems like good power for the 177bhp 2 litre but the others seem conservative?.

Feedback Neil would be great sometime in the future
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 06:28 AM   #35
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
... if it is on the standard map at the time of a warranty claim, how can they proved the remap caused it and that the owner did the remap? It is BMW's word against the customer in my opinion. Any views on this? Also has anyone had a remap discovered by the garage? and what happened if they did?
I'd suggest that this would only become apparent in a major malfunction like a total engine blow-up where the in-warranty car was undriveable. If the map couldn't be removed and BMW found it, then it's bound to get messy. This scenario is going to be hens teeth rare, but if there was a lot of money at stake and even a hint of reputational damage, then they'd pull out the stop to prove it wasn't their engine.

I'd liken it to an insurance company looking for the smallest get out clause to not pay out...

I've never read of any situation like this for warranty claims..

With BF, you at least have the ability to remove the map prior to it going into the garage; removing a worry and potential problem area (even if it's unrelated to the engine and you just want to play safe)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #36
neilmc
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree chaps, I just googled it and like everything, you find people having pannic attacks and then you begin to think the same!!!hangover doubts in my case!! The chances of total engine failure, touch wood!! are very low. Looking forward to getting it now, and also agree about conservative claims, better this way then make power claims that are bordering on impossible.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #37
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep

Sorry, a bit of a daft question, however I'm guessing the E92 177BHP device would work on the E93 177BHP?

The E93 isn't listed
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #38
neilmc
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, I checked with superchips, as I have an e90. So all e variations of the 320d 177 work fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #39
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
Yes, I checked with superchips, as I have an e90. So all e variations of the 320d 177 work fine.
Cool!!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #40
Budgie
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Neil..how you get a discount sorted then as many would be interested i guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #41
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep

Yeah, I just tried to order however nothing on the payments page to apply a discount
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #42
neilmc
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Did it over the phone chaps with a very helpful guy, cannot remember his name, but it was extension 249 (when you phone it gives you the option to dial any extension) I said about e90 post and he said he would do 10% off, no questions asked!! Don't think there would be more off for a group buy as they have already reduced them recently, and he said they are selling very well, obviously as they were out of stock last week! Procedure seems straight forward to do, you need a pc (not mac) and I will do a full write up when it arrives. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #43
Budgie
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
What a nice man you are Neil.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #44
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Mmm interesting.

I have a 330d and I'd be interested in better mpg as well as more ummph (always welcome). 270bhp does sound like a useful hike in power.

Encee - how did you find it transformed your 330dAuto, both in terms of power and mpg? As yours is a superchips mod, I assume this is basically the same product as the bluefin job? I like the idea of it coming in the post and doing it DIY at home - and it being removable.

Over 30k miles, it'd pay for itself if I got around a 4mpg benefit - assuming my insurance company didn't hammer me! (yeah, I know I'm kidding myself)
Appreciate 0