E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Base upgrade for < $600 (2 options)

08-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #23
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Suggested crossover settings are posted in the forum...
I did some searching and found the following settings in the e90 audio upgrade guide.pdf:

Channel 1/2 (Front):
Filter Mode: HP
Filter Frequency: 135Hz (27 clicks)
Input Sens: Minimum (7 O’clock)
- Channel 3/4 (Back):
Filter Mode: HP
Filter Frequency: 135Hz (27 clicks)
Input Sens: Minimum (7 O’clock)
- Channel 5/6 (Underseats):
Filter Mode: LP
Filter Frequency: 174Hz (30 clicks)
Input Sens: (9 O’clock)

However, this is with a system with a cleansweep installed. Are these settings still appropriate for the Alpine amp with no cleansweep/HU recode? I searched e90post.com for crossover settings and didn't have much luck for the Gain, Filter and Crossover.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #24
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep

I upgraded everything Sunday and so far so good. Only issues I've found is that the Gong is super loud, and when I receive phone calls through Bluetooth the ringer and person on the other line are also incredibly loud.

I turned down the gong to its lowest setting but it doesn't seem to matter how long or quiet its set, the gong is still the same volume.

Any thoughts on to why Phone Calls, Ringer and Gong are so incredibly loud? I used the crossover settings based upon MB Quarts recommendation, but maybe those aren't the best?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #25
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Wondering if the MB Quartz can be used with the OEM amp that comes with a 09 328xi. It has the Hi-Fi head unit I believe as it has 2 "sub" under seat, 2 tweeters on door, 2 mid range on door, 2 tweeters in the rear side panel and 2 tweeters in the rear side panels.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #26
Stresspuppy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

cptcrunch - Glad you were able to get it done!! I finally got all my stuff in and got back from vacation. Went out tonight to start making a plan and the first thing I run into is where to mount the amp. In my 335d the space to the left in the trunk isn't wide or deep enough for the Alpine amp. Where did you put yours?

And after your last post, I'm now concerned about the dong and the Bluetooth. I thought I read something about how to resolve that but I'll have to go back and look.

Finally, the amp settings are a must as well. Have you experimented with what you posted? You mentioned it was for a DSP setup but wondering if it will work anyway with using the high level inputs.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #27
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcrunch View Post
I upgraded everything Sunday and so far so good. Only issues I've found is that the Gong is super loud, and when I receive phone calls through Bluetooth the ringer and person on the other line are also incredibly loud.

I turned down the gong to its lowest setting but it doesn't seem to matter how long or quiet its set, the gong is still the same volume.

Any thoughts on to why Phone Calls, Ringer and Gong are so incredibly loud? I used the crossover settings based upon MB Quarts recommendation, but maybe those aren't the best?
I figured out the gong/bt phone issue: If I turned down the Channel 1/2 gain, it lowered the volume of the gong/phone without affecting the audio quality. No idea why, but there you go
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #28
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
Wondering if the MB Quartz can be used with the OEM amp that comes with a 09 328xi. It has the Hi-Fi head unit I believe as it has 2 "sub" under seat, 2 tweeters on door, 2 mid range on door, 2 tweeters in the rear side panel and 2 tweeters in the rear side panels.
Yes, they will be a direct replacement. Depending on what you want to do and your budget, the question becomes more complicated.

HiFi systems are the easiest to upgrade. Recommendations are the HL x600/6 amp to replace oem (more power) and then speaker upgrade. Depending on your budget, you have many choices. Jehnert 3 way kit on eBay for $600 is super popular, then leave the rears alone.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #29
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresspuppy View Post
cptcrunch - Glad you were able to get it done!! I finally got all my stuff in and got back from vacation. Went out tonight to start making a plan and the first thing I run into is where to mount the amp. In my 335d the space to the left in the trunk isn't wide or deep enough for the Alpine amp. Where did you put yours?

And after your last post, I'm now concerned about the dong and the Bluetooth. I thought I read something about how to resolve that but I'll have to go back and look.

Finally, the amp settings are a must as well. Have you experimented with what you posted? You mentioned it was for a DSP setup but wondering if it will work anyway with using the high level inputs.
I responded to your PM, but I'll respond here for the good of the forum: In the 335d, the only real place to put an amp is in the oem amp location. Its a tight fit, however. The alpine mrx-f35 amp we ordered will fit with very tight tolerances. You must put it in "sideways" where the speaker output, power/ground input face the front of the car, and the crossover/gain settings face the rear. Its so tight that, IMO, if you use velcro on the bottom of the amp you could easily attach the amp for the life of the car.

I recommend hooking up the speakers, power, etc to the amp and test before shoving into the tight space.

As far as the settings are concerned, I'm still tweaking them. Made some big improvements over day 2 and 3, with taking the gain down to lower levels, tweaking base dB, but leaving crossover settings where MBQ manual states.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #30
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcrunch View Post
I figured out the gong/bt phone issue: If I turned down the Channel 1/2 gain, it lowered the volume of the gong/phone without affecting the audio quality. No idea why, but there you go
The only gain in any BMW aftermarket amp swap/upgrade that should be increased over minimum is at the woofer channels. And in your particular case you should use the Bass Boost instead of the gain for the woofer channels.
Appreciate 0