E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > No crank, starter or electrical issue? (W/ video)

03-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
joshdfrazier
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

No crank, starter or electrical issue? (W/ video)

First off, helllo! This is my first post.

About 3 months ago, my 2006 325i started cranking slowly. Always turned over, but took about 2-3 seconds. Cold weather made it much worse.

Tried starting it on one of our coldest days, and nothing happened. Checked the battery, it was good. Replaced it with a 900cca battery from my other vehicle just to be sure, still nothing.

Thinking I might have two bad batteries (was not the case, obviously), I attempted to jump it with my 06' c230 running. Nothing. Now none of the vehicles electronics work. Power locks, radio, climate control are all dead. Cabin lights will turn on, but only with the key on the ignition. I don't think disconnecting the battery would cause such an issue?

Anyway, same symptoms when I try to start. Cabin lights/dash dim as if something is drawing massive current for a moment, and then nothing.

I awas about to start the arduous task of replacing the starter, but I really don't know anymore. I took a video (sorry for the stupid portrait orientation!) to try to better explain what's happening. The "whirring" sound when I try to start the car is the disk changer in the stereo.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
joshdfrazier
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Gonna "bump" this and also mention that the "electrical issue" was a dead battery. Car electronics function as they should. However, the car will still not crank when jumped. It definitely feels like it's "trying" to turn over, and it has come close, but just won't do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
AZDAVEBROWN
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

Had the same thing, starter killed the battery. So now new starter and new battery. Car starts better than it ever has.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdfrazier View Post
Gonna "bump" this and also mention that the "electrical issue" was a dead battery. Car electronics function as they should. However, the car will still not crank when jumped. It definitely feels like it's "trying" to turn over, and it has come close, but just won't do it.
Try to hit the starter from top of hood with a long bar or something as someone else can push start button from inside. This way you know for sure is the starter. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Have you had the battery positive cable campaign done?
Also check the connection near the jump start terminal. There is a 12v lead which lives inside the wide, narrow cover which goes across the engine bay. The terminal which connects to the firewall may have broken - but you usually get functional interior electronics...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 07:45 PM   #6
Kodak
The Law
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi, 4dr, Alpine

It's either the alternator or the starter, your mechanic should be able to tell you right away , I had to replace my alternator last year and starter twice because one replaced starter went bad after a few months and I had to replace it under warranty a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdfrazier View Post
First off, helllo! This is my first post.

About 3 months ago, my 2006 325i started cranking slowly. Always turned over, but took about 2-3 seconds. Cold weather made it much worse.

Tried starting it on one of our coldest days, and nothing happened. Checked the battery, it was good. Replaced it with a 900cca battery from my other vehicle just to be sure, still nothing.

Thinking I might have two bad batteries (was not the case, obviously), I attempted to jump it with my 06' c230 running. Nothing. Now none of the vehicles electronics work. Power locks, radio, climate control are all dead. Cabin lights will turn on, but only with the key on the ignition. I don't think disconnecting the battery would cause such an issue?

Anyway, same symptoms when I try to start. Cabin lights/dash dim as if something is drawing massive current for a moment, and then nothing.

I awas about to start the arduous task of replacing the starter, but I really don't know anymore. I took a video (sorry for the stupid portrait orientation!) to try to better explain what's happening. The "whirring" sound when I try to start the car is the disk changer in the stereo.