E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Audiotec-Fischer upgrade

01-22-2015, 04:10 AM   #1
Sploing
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I SE

Audiotec-Fischer upgrade

After taking possession of my 2007 330i the other week the first thing I noticed is how awful the stereo sounded, I'd read somewhere that the early 330i's were equipped with logic 7 but this is definitely no the case and when I picked it up I found the base stereo installed.

I began looking at possible upgrades, my last car was a Nissan 350Z with an awesome sounding BOSE system which, after replacing the head unit, was perfect for me.

I started to look at upgrades and set myself a budget of £600 to change things, after scouring the forum I decided to look at the BMW alpine front end upgrade but decided against it in the end as the cheapest I could source it was £375 and I knew I would want to upgrade the underseat woofers too which left my with the problem of trying so find some of the now discontinued kicker SSMB8's or paying a fortune for decent shallow mount subs, also the alpine kit has been around for a while now and I figured that technology has moved on a little and I may be able to do better.

In the end I found details of the Audiotec-Fischer MS 83C-BMW.1 kit, it comes with replacement mids, new tweeters and crucially, replacement underseat subs and managed to source a kit, along with an Alpine MRV-F300 amp from Ram Mobile in Leeds for £499.

I grabbed some tweeter sails off eBay for £50 and since I don't have a harness, all the wiring I need to make one plus some sound deadening and a few other bits for around £45 bringing the total cost of my install to £595.

The only problem is, I haven't been able to fit it yet since it's forever rainy and cold outside but as soon as I do I'll share some install pics and a review.

In future I'll probably upgrade the rear deck speakers too either with 100mm mids, 100mm 2 way components or a mid and a tweeter and either drive them direct from the HU or wire them in parrallel to the rear channel of my amp with a crossover dividing them from the subs, I'm not sure which will be best.

While I'm here, can someone answer a question for me, I've searched the forums and even called my local BMW dealer but can't get a definite answer.

I want to be able to plug my iPhone into the car, the minimum I want to achieve is that it will play music through the stereo and I can skip songs using the SWC, being able to scroll through playlists etc would be a bonus but not essential.

My car is a 2007 330i SE with idrive (CCC), pro-nav, bluetooth phone connection and a weird connector-y looking thing in the centre console which I assume is the phone preparation, I don't have any USB input in the glovebox or elsewhere, can anyone help me out?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 05:09 AM   #2
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

before you get to far... if you have the base system you will have to read up. your head unit doesn't put out a full range signal like the hifi system does.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 05:59 AM   #3
Sploing
Rep

Yep, I know about that. I believe that due to the early production date it shouldn't need coding since the sq isn't too extreme, besides I need the HU output to remain at line level for the rear deck for now.
I'll give it a try and if it sounds back I can always throw in a DSP.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sploing View Post

While I'm here, can someone answer a question for me, I've searched the forums and even called my local BMW dealer but can't get a definite answer.

I want to be able to plug my iPhone into the car, the minimum I want to achieve is that it will play music through the stereo and I can skip songs using the SWC, being able to scroll through playlists etc would be a bonus but not essential.

My car is a 2007 330i SE with idrive (CCC), pro-nav, bluetooth phone connection and a weird connector-y looking thing in the centre console which I assume is the phone preparation, I don't have any USB input in the glovebox or elsewhere, can anyone help me out?

Thanks
Please contact forum vendor BimmerTech for details and pricing on the OEM MULF retrofit (USB).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
Sploing
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Please contact forum vendor BimmerTech for details and pricing on the OEM MULF retrofit (USB).
Thanks Technik,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have Bluetooth phone connectivity and voice commands, doesn't that already mean I have a mulf module?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
Sploing
Rep

So, after a little more reading I think I would need to replace my MULF unit with a MULF2 unit, reprogram the VIN and then just connect a USB cable, is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sploing View Post
So, after a little more reading I think I would need to replace my MULF unit with a MULF2 unit, reprogram the VIN and then just connect a USB cable, is that correct?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Sploing
Rep

Awesome, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you already have a TCU (for 06)

If you already have a TCU (for 06)
does the Mulf 2 get added or does it replace the
TCU. I have a TCU and SOS which I don't use.
Also I thought there might be some rewiring or reharnessing
if this is the case.
Can the Mulf 2 be added with a simple coding cable in this
and 06 or does it require the ICOM test head setup?
I was under the impression that cars before 09 only required
the simple OBD cable for programming or coding.
(not clear on this)
Also there is a Mulf2 high and a Mulf 2 low whats the difference?

Helix and Gladen make some BMW specific under seats.
Also there is a great Gladen/Mocsoni upgrade for the Base
system not cheap though
http://www.monsteraudiodesign.co.uk/

Makan00 can assist with coding to Hi Fi if you go that route
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704363

Last edited by ctuna; 01-22-2015 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Sploing
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post

Helix and Gladen make some BMW specific under seats.
Also there is a great Gladen/Mocsoni upgrade for the Base
system not cheap though
http://www.monsteraudiodesign.co.uk/

Makan00 can assist with coding to Hi Fi if you go that route
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704363
Helix stuff is made by audiotec-Fischer, as is Brax audio.
Appreciate 0