E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

05-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #4863
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Also curious about the ignition timing recovery. I had the last software update and my car has been doing strange things ever since and nobody has figured out a solution.
      05-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #4864
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Hi Ilma,

What do you mean by: an issue with ignition timing recovery ?

How do you know this and what is it? Do you mean after the engine starts to ping/pre detonate? ???

Dackel
This is a 3rd to 4th gear pull on 98 octane.

3rd gear is showing timing is maxed out, but when I shft into 4th notice how the timing doesn't recover back and stays pegged very low.

Before the BMW software update, timing for both gears looked nearly identical.

NOTE: This is not engine knock....the timing is just not rising back to where it should.

There seems to be something different in the shifting logic with the new software that seems to be conflicting with the tune.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 01:12 AM   #4865
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

would that cause something like this to happen when you got hard acceleration or wot
Attached Images

05-16-2011, 02:58 AM   #4866
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Ilma - That is very interesting about the timing advance and recovery. I know my flash tuner over here in Germany (Marcel at www.ms-chiptuning.de ) has told me that BMW's latest SW has some anti-tuning features. This can cause problems IF your tuner hasn't sorted the tune out. This is why Marcel always does a data log before and after a flash. There is also something different in BMW line coding for the throttle plate adaptations. Marcel told me my car's new SW and another 135i he had tuned the day before with a PPK (perf power kit) had this new anti tuning SW.

I think BMW is getting wise to some of the tuning tricks on this motor. It just means your tuner has to be SMARTER!

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #4867
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ilma - That is very interesting about the timing advance and recovery. I know my flash tuner over here in Germany (Marcel at www.ms-chiptuning.de ) has told me that BMW's latest SW has some anti-tuning features. This can cause problems IF your tuner hasn't sorted the tune out. This is why Marcel always does a data log before and after a flash. There is also something different in BMW line coding for the throttle plate adaptations. Marcel told me my car's new SW and another 135i he had tuned the day before with a PPK (perf power kit) had this new anti tuning SW.

I think BMW is getting wise to some of the tuning tricks on this motor. It just means your tuner has to be SMARTER!

Dackel

Vishnu seems to have done their own testng on the newer BMW software and have confirmed there are some changes......

Have a look here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=160
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #4868
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
would that cause something like this to happen when you got hard acceleration or wot
No.....that looks like boost oscillation due to throttle closure.

Most common cause of that is bad boost control.

If that is stock then I would take it to the dealer and ask them to reflash the software.

EDIT: Just saw you run a Dinan tune......call them up. They probably haven't adjusted their software to the latest BMW update. They should be able to confirm this.

Last edited by Ilma; 05-16-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #4869
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

When I had to do a software update b/c of the software recall..my car ran like crap too..laggy as hell...what I did was throw some 100 octance and couple bottles of techron..and ran the piss out of it..i mean hard..believe it or not the car adapted to driving habits and it got much better..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #4870
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

My car is currently in for wastegate rattle like empty cans. They replaced the wastegates but it still rattles like before. Sooo... any of you know if they replace the Turbos am I going to get same exact Turbos and so a pointless exercise or are new BMW Turbos improved\better than the old stockers? I am on the fence and pretty disappointed the car wont run for too long without any issues at all. I had given up on the annoying rattle after two "fix" trips, but since I am almost out of warranty in a couple of weeks, I decided to see if they get fixed this time around. Just wondering if anyone knows if new Turbos at the dealer have a better build or do I just have to swallow hard and accept this rattle will always be here with this car? It rattles worse than the 335d and that's saying a lot.
      06-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #4871
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
My car is currently in for wastegate rattle like empty cans. They replaced the wastegates but it still rattles like before. Sooo... any of you know if they replace the Turbos am I going to get same exact Turbos and so a pointless exercise or are new BMW Turbos improved\better than the old stockers? I am on the fence and pretty disappointed the car wont run for too long without any issues at all. I had given up on the annoying rattle after two "fix" trips, but since I am almost out of warranty in a couple of weeks, I decided to see if they get fixed this time around. Just wondering if anyone knows if new Turbos at the dealer have a better build or do I just have to swallow hard and accept this rattle will always be here with this car? It rattles worse than the 335d and that's saying a lot.

Vase - what year is your 335i ?

I thought (I am by no means an expert!) that the early ('07 or '08's)335i's had a thin actuactor arm on the wastegates. This would and does wear and cause the dreaded rattle. BMW changed the wastaget deisgn to a thicker rod and acutactors that actually can be replaced seperately from the entire turbo.

It sounds like you have an early 335i and need the new-er (upgraded) turbos w/wastegates. As for the insides of teh snails(turbos) they flow the same from what I understand.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #4872
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
When I had to do a software update b/c of the software recall..my car ran like crap too..laggy as hell...what I did was throw some 100 octance and couple bottles of techron..and ran the piss out of it..i mean hard..believe it or not the car adapted to driving habits and it got much better..

I have acess to a speed limit free autobahns over here and 98 to 102 octane fuel. All the empty autobahn driving I did - could not improve the crappy BMW SW update that I got on my N54. Things only got better after I got my flash tune with 380 PS. I must have driven with BMW Sw update for about 1K miles for I got my tune. Once the flash tune was loaded - even just with the engine idling - I knew my old motor was BACK. All the same old rattle sounds and ripping performacne when you crack the throttle open! I won't let BMW touch my car again.

Last edited by Dackelone; 06-10-2011 at 04:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #4873
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Vase - what year is your 335i ?

I thought (I am by no means an expert!) that the early ('07 or '08's)335i's had a thin actuactor arm on the wastegates. This would and does wear and cause the dreaded rattle. BMW changed the wastaget deisgn to a thicker rod and acutactors that actually can be replaced seperately from the entire turbo.

It sounds like you have an early 335i and need the new-er (upgraded) turbos w/wastegates. As for the insides of teh snails(turbos) they flow the same from what I understand.

Dackel
June 07 335i with 28K miles. Maybe you are right. Rattles like a mofo. Yup even after replacing waste-gates still rattles. Oh BMW we love the cars but I am also sick of the endless issues that keep coming back like a snake that keeps growing new heads every time you cut off the head.
      06-16-2011, 04:18 AM   #4874
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

Quote:
I have acess to a speed limit free autobahns over here and 98 to 102 octane fuel. All the empty autobahn driving I did - could not improve the crappy BMW SW update that I got on my N54. Things only got better after I got my flash tune with 380 PS. I must have driven with BMW Sw update for about 1K miles for I got my tune. Once the flash tune was loaded - even just with the engine idling - I knew my old motor was BACK. All the same old rattle sounds and ripping performacne when you crack the throttle open! I won't let BMW touch my car again.
What flash 380PS did you get?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #4875
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118 View Post
What flash 380PS did you get?

www.ms-tuning.de Stage II: 380 PS and 520 Nm of Tq. Boost pressure 0.95 Bar

Here is my writeup....

Got my car tuned in Germany…

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528152
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:14 AM   #4876
boxter
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
Hi Quisp,

sad to hear you still are experiencing problems. My car is running fine so far, with v39.x and still on the first pump (at ~30000 miles). Now that it has more than three years, I am starting to think about something new. However, I prefer the N54 to the N55 and steptronic to DKG and I already have the LSD.

So maybe I opt for the Alpina or M3 next time. Also, I think that the F10 is a nice-looking car (if it only wasn't so expensive).

If you think that marshmallow stars are "it", you should REALLY try out alcoholic beverages. I recommend a 2004 Remirez de Ganuza.
Hi Meyer,
how are you?
Finally I have new turbos in my car, I requested my dealer not to update the software. I have v32.x with conversion valve.

Do you know if is it necessary to update with new turbos?

My car is n54 December 06, are the performance the same with last sw?

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #4877
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxter View Post
Hi Meyer,
how are you?
Finally I have new turbos in my car, I requested my dealer not to update the software. I have v32.x with conversion valve.

Do you know if is it necessary to update with new turbos?

My car is n54 December 06, are the performance the same with last sw?

Thanks a lot
I'm fine, just planning to get an M3...

I think BMW's procedures tell to update the software, although I doubt it is really neccessary. Performance is fine, but I don't have the all-latest software...
      06-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #4878
zirophil
France
Rep
Drives: 335i '07

if only they would sold the 335is in Europe...

maybe you'll prefer it , rather than an M3 !
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #4879
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirophil View Post
if only they would sold the 335is in Europe...

maybe you'll prefer it , rather than an M3 !
I think not, I have pulled the trigger on it. Not because it is faster, but because of the refined chassis and braking. You would need big money to make a 335is make behave like an M3.

Last edited by meyergru; 06-30-2011 at 01:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #4880
hal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i htc

turbo lag

I have a '08 335I --in 2009 my software was updated for the turbo lag and immediately I noticed the difference. The car was quicker and smoother, gas mileage improved and it sounded great.

A couple of weeks ago I brought the car back for a problem on another thread--comfort access does not work all the time (been working on this for the 3 years I have had the car). New handles and antennas were installed and the car was updated for software.

My comfort access still does not work BUT to boot, I regained turbo lag and lost the raspy sound of exhaust, lost .3 MPG and the tranny is no longer silky smooth.

Anybody have ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #4881
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
I have a '08 335I --in 2009 my software was updated for the turbo lag and immediately I noticed the difference. The car was quicker and smoother, gas mileage improved and it sounded great.

A couple of weeks ago I brought the car back for a problem on another thread--comfort access does not work all the time (been working on this for the 3 years I have had the car). New handles and antennas were installed and the car was updated for software.

My comfort access still does not work BUT to boot, I regained turbo lag and lost the raspy sound of exhaust, lost .3 MPG and the tranny is no longer silky smooth.

Anybody have ideas?

Perhaps the tech uploaded the wrong SW file. Or.. BMW has changed the SW yet again and have detuned your car with the WG/idle fix. ???

Take your car back and ask them what happened? And... ask the tech and not the SA.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #4882
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Anyone have the link handy to the service bulletin for the wategate retrofit software option?

I know it's in this thread somewhere but cant find it. Ive been following this monster thread for years and finally got bit by the lag software when my actuator rods were replaced 2 weeks ago. The tech confirmed they did not check the "Wastegate retrofit" option so I requested it. Now my SA says they are trying to see if BMWNA will approve the reprogram?
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #4883
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
So I think I found the SIB...anyone know what number SIB it is?
Quote:
SUBJECT
N54 Distinct Clanking Noise from Turbocharger Area

MODEL
E90, E92 and E93 (3 Series) 335i and 335xi

E60 and E61 (5 Series) 535i and 535xi

All with N54 engine from the start of production up to March 2008 production

SITUATION
The customer complains of a metallic noise from the exhaust system near the engine or turbocharger area. This noise is described as a clanking noise, occurring up to six or seven times in a row during a deceleration from approximately 3,500 RPM; or during a heavy application of the accelerator without a drive gear being engaged.

Complaints received regarding a slight rattle from this area under steady acceleration in the 2,000 RPM to 4,000 RPM range are due to the rotating waste gate valve face; this is a characteristic of the mechanical waste gate. The rotating waste gate valve face is necessary to ensure proper sealing. This slight rattle noise is considered normal operation of the mechanical waste gate valve. No repair should be attempted for this type of rattling complaint.

CAUSE
The wastegate valve does not completely close due to the mechanical tolerances of the wastegate actuator. This results in the wastegate valve repeatedly clanking against its seating surface.

PROCEDURE
Vehicles produced from May 2006 up to September 2007

Do not replace the turbocharger or adjust the existing wastegate actuator control rod.

Perform ISID Test Plan; Noises at Turbocharger (Path: Function Structure – Drive – Mechanism, Noises, Leaks – Noises – Engine Noise – Noises at Turbocharger – Start Search and follow displayed test plan.

The test plan will conclude with an instruction to replace the wastegate actuators; ignore this instruction. Reprogram the DME if the vehicle has not already been programmed to one of the levels described below. Compare the vehicle I-Level to the table below.

Model
Vehicle Data Status

E90, E92, and E93 (335i and 335xi)
E89x-08-03-530 or higher

E60 and E61 (535i and 535xi)
E060-08-03-525 or higher

3. If the vehicle has not achieved one of the levels above, reprogram the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.32.1 or a more recent version.

4. After programming is completed, if the noise is no longer present, take no further action. If the noise is still present, replace both of the turbocharger wastegate actuators in accordance with Repair Instruction RA 11 65 580, Replacing vacuum unit (wastegate) (N54).

Vehicles produced from September 2007 up to March 2008

Do not replace the turbocharger or adjust the existing wastegate actuator control rod.

Perform ISID Test Plan; Noises at Turbocharger (Path: Function Structure – Drive – Mechanism, Noises, Leaks – Noises – Engine Noise – Noises at Turbocharger – Start Search and follow displayed test plan.

The test plan will conclude with an instruction to replace the wastegate actuators; ignore this instruction. Reprogram the DME if the vehicle has not already been programmed to one of the levels described below. Compare the vehicle I-Level to the table below.

Model
Vehicle Data Status

E90, E92, and E93 (335i and 335xi)
E89x-08-03-530 or higher

E60 and E61 (535i and 535xi)
E060-08-03-525 or higher

3. If the vehicle has not already achieved one of the levels above, reprogram the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.32.1 or more recent version.

All 335i/xi and 535i/xi models built from June 2006 up to September 2007

The updated software causes a small amount of increased "turbocharger lag" under certain circumstances and, while not substantial, the lag may be perceptible to the most sensitive BMW drivers. X6, 135i, 3 Series and 5 Series vehicles from March 2008 production onward are not affected. If said "turbocharger lag" is a customer's complaint, then the vehicle's DME software can be retrofitted to the original waste gate operation.

Procedure for vehicles up to September 2007 production:

Using ISTA/P 2.32.1 or a more recent version, select "Conversions", and then select "Wastegate valve conversion". Follow the on-screen prompts to reinstall the original waste gate operation.

After the "Waste gate valve conversion" has been completed, some waste gate-related noise may be detected.

Important Note:

To eliminate the "turbocharger lag" complaint on the vehicles produced from September 2007 up to March 2008 (after programming with Progman versions V29.2 – V32.0), reprogram the complete vehicle, using ISTA/P 2.32.1 or a more recent version.

PARTS INFORMATION
E90, E92, and E93 (3 Series):

Part Number
Description
Quantity

11 65 7 585 745
Actuator Cylinder 1-3

11 65 7 585 746
Actuator Cylinder 4-6

E60 and E61 (5 Series):

Part Number
Description
Quantity

11 65 7 585 745
Actuator Cylinder 1-3

11 65 7 585 747
Actuator Cylinder 4-6

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code:
11 65 05 39 00

Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:

*61 00 811
8 FRU
Programming/encoding control units

Including CAS

*61 00 801
7 FRU
Programming/encoding control units

Not including CAS

*Main Work - use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+) labor operation code.

Note 1: Should the vehicle be affected at the same time by another repair in which programming of control units is also required, programming may be claimed only once.

Note 2: In the case where Progman requires the replacement of control modules or additional programming because certain control modules failed to program correctly, print out the Measures Plan and Status Report/Final Report as described in the Progman programming procedure (B09 05 01). Attach these reports to the RO in the vehicle file. This additional work should be claimed under the defect code listed in this bulletin using the labor operation and labor allowance from the KSD.

Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:

*11 65 048
Refer to KSD based on model
Removing and installing or replacing

both exhaust turbochargers

+11 65 580
Refer to KSD based on model
Adjusting vacuum units and replacing

if necessary
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s