E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Do I really need a LSD?

07-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #23
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Haha but yeah, if the motor are solid, and the N54 seems to be, with that modern 2jz nickname is good to hear.
more like 0.5jz but ok! I think you are overthinking all of this. Just buy the car! You could never know if car will be giving you problems or not regardless of the miles covered and how was taken care of. A lot of it is luck just like with everythink in life. Yes all n54 have common issues but there are exception, cars that run ok non stop and cars that non stop have problems, and all in between. Get the car you want and go from there.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #24
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Get the newest, lowest mileage 335is you can afford. And get a DCT. It's the only car that was available with both a N54 and a DCT in North America.
      07-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #25
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
more like 0.5jz but ok! I think you are overthinking all of this. Just buy the car! You could never know if car will be giving you problems or not regardless of the miles covered and how was taken care of. A lot of it is luck just like with everythink in life. Yes all n54 have common issues but there are exception, cars that run ok non stop and cars that non stop have problems, and all in between. Get the car you want and go from there.
Don't worry I'm not that worried. I'll do PPI and find one with records and that's all I need to buy the car.

Man can't wait to find one
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #26
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
The turbos aren't hard, it's just a lot of work. There plenty of good/ great DIY's.

It would be a job that I would definitely take my time.

I have my entire intake system upgraded.

FMIC, Bigger CAI, 1.75" Silicone Inlets & 2" Outlets

Plus I have upgraded my entire exhaust.

I don't have a tune. When I get new turbos, perhaps.

I will get new coils & plugs from FCP as well as new turbo actuators at that time. (Lifetime Warranty)

My injectors have a lifetime warranty.

Tunes cut the service life of coils, injectors, turbos, & plugs in half.

That would be the only way I'd get a tune if all the "laundry list items" were under lifetime warranty.

One thing you absolutely, positively need to do from day one, once you get a 335is is get a catch can an Rob Beck PCV & Metal cap. I'd suggest the Mishimoto catch can. I'd also replace the crank case valve near the PCV valve as well.

Wasn't sure for the catch can as soon as bought yet I was thinking installing it after I clean the valves when I will see them being pretty dirty.

And upgrading a PCV valve helps to to bring less oil back into the intake?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #27
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The turbos aren't hard, it's just a lot of work. There plenty of good/ great DIY's.

It would be a job that I would definitely take my time.

I have my entire intake system upgraded.

FMIC, Bigger CAI, 1.75" Silicone Inlets & 2" Outlets

Plus I have upgraded my entire exhaust.

I don't have a tune. When I get new turbos, perhaps.

I will get new coils & plugs from FCP as well as new turbo actuators at that time. (Lifetime Warranty)

My injectors have a lifetime warranty.

Tunes cut the service life of coils, injectors, turbos, & plugs in half.

That would be the only way I'd get a tune if all the "laundry list items" were under lifetime warranty.

One thing you absolutely, positively need to do from day one, once you get a 335is is get a catch can an Rob Beck PCV & Metal cap. I'd suggest the Mishimoto catch can. I'd also replace the crank case valve near the PCV valve as well.

Wasn't sure for the catch can as soon as bought yet I was thinking installing it after I clean the valves when I will see them being pretty dirty.

And upgrading a PCV valve helps to to bring less oil back into the intake?
Yes, good call on the walnut blasting of the intake valves. Yes, absolutely wait until that's done, then install the very next day :

1) Mishimoto catch can
2) Rob Beck PCV & Metal Cap
3) New PCV crank case valve

Do a walnut blasting every 36,000 miles.

You should install new intake manifold gaskets & throttle body gasket, if the car has over 75,000 miles at the time you have the walnut blasting done.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2018, 02:53 AM   #28
kmx
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmx View Post
Do you find the car puts the power down significantly better with the lsd? Even in a straight line?
No.
Thanks. I really thought it would. Thanks for clearing that up.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #29
Cabdriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
I'm looking at getting a 335is with a JB4 on probably the auto map, downpipes and a DCI intake.

I searched and find al these older posts ~2013-2014 about car not having LSD and some people asking. Some say it's fantastic first mod you should do some say the ediff is enough.

Now that we are in 2018... is it still fun without a LSD or with those mods it's required? I won't track the car but I will have fun with it.
I have had lsd on many cars and find for spirited driving, turning off the DTC is plenty. If you do so, when you are putting the pedal down, pay close attention to what is happening and you will find it doing a more than reasonable job getting you through public roads at speed. If you track or have some serious power, then that is a different story. You would want to explore other options.

With DTC off, I can power through turns and continue to accelerate, putting two strips of rubber down when I am to heavy on the pedal.

To Mac's point, the lsd requires discipline in throttle control to get you through the turn under power, it's not the holy grail. It needs to be learned to understand the predictability of the vehicle in certain situations.

I run stock snails, FBO and mhd s2+, just for context. My two cents good luck.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #30
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes, good call on the walnut blasting of the intake valves. Yes, absolutely wait until that's done, then install the very next day :

1) Mishimoto catch can

You should install new intake manifold gaskets & throttle body gasket, if the car has over 75,000 miles at the time you have the walnut blasting done.
Funny. just found one for sale by a BMW dealer 4 hours away! And with the 6 speed with 90 000km (55k miles).

Probably gonna buy it this week end!
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #31
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

1) Mishimoto catch can

Funny. just found one for sale by a BMW dealer 4 hours away! And with the 6 speed with 90 000km (55k miles).

Nice !!!!

Order the catch can, PCV breather hose & RB PCV & Cap.

https://www.rbturbo.com/products/accessories/

https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMB.../dp/B010CGCQQC
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 03:08 AM   #32
kmx
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1) Mishimoto catch can

Nice !!!!

Order the catch can, PCV breather hose & RB PCV & Cap.

https://www.rbturbo.com/products/accessories/

https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMB.../dp/B010CGCQQC
I've got rb external and mosi catch can and it catches a lot. Had it for about 9 months after I had my walnut blast done.

Great product. Fills about half a can every 4-6 wks.

I've got BMS catch can on high pressure side and it's still bone dry.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 03:22 AM   #33
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Get the newest, lowest mileage 335is you can afford. And get a DCT. It's the only car that was available with both a N54 and a DCT in North America.
There's the Z4 too. Plenty of DCT transmissions put in the 35i and 35is.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #34
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
There's the Z4 too. Plenty of DCT transmissions put in the 35i and 35is.
Yes you're correct. I always forget about the Z4, even rarer than the 335is around here.
      07-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #35
diolev
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i, 1998 m3

If I ever got the lsd it would probably be the 3.46.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #36
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

love the BQ tune on my IS - with DCT and LSD..

Time for a drive..

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #37
srbarnes4ever
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90 Sport

Quote:
Definitely will not make positive difference unless you are very good driver to utilize the LSD. Most of us simply aren't and LSD will make the car more difficult to drive. I tracked mine for 4y on open diff, over 40, maybe 50 track days. Now I have LSD and re learning how to drive the car.
I'm confused by this line of comments - please clarify for me. My experience is that almost any wet corner with more than very light throttle, the inside rear wheel will spin and trigger DTC to intervene. I have Pilot Sport A/S3s so tire isn't the issue, open diff with this crazy torque is the problem. Add in snow, even with Continental Extreme Winters and it is a battle of electronic intervention on about any start from zero mph as the first wheel that gets loose gets the avalanche of torque sent its way. I had concluded that LSD would make a huge difference in those situations if nothing else. Am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #38
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbarnes4ever View Post
I'm confused by this line of comments - please clarify for me. My experience is that almost any wet corner with more than very light throttle, the inside rear wheel will spin and trigger DTC to intervene. I have Pilot Sport A/S3s so tire isn't the issue, open diff with this crazy torque is the problem. Add in snow, even with Continental Extreme Winters and it is a battle of electronic intervention on about any start from zero mph as the first wheel that gets loose gets the avalanche of torque sent its way. I had concluded that LSD would make a huge difference in those situations if nothing else. Am I wrong?
So what do you think will happen if you car is LSD equipped when you drive it around wet corner or in winter with rest of the viriables the same including your current driving skill level?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #39
Kevin39
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 N55

srbarnes4ever is right. With the LSD, traction control cuts in much less. I find it much more fun to drive even at stock power levels. When it does slide with traction control off, it behaves how I would expect it to as well. It does weird stuff without the LSD in my opinion. Do you need one? No. But I'm glad I did it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #40
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin39 View Post
srbarnes4ever is right. With the LSD, traction control cuts in much less. I find it much more fun to drive even at stock power levels. When it does slide with traction control off, it behaves how I would expect it to as well. It does weird stuff without the LSD in my opinion. Do you need one? No. But I'm glad I did it.
Yes, might be right, but open diff is easier and from the same reason safer to drive regardless of traction control on or off. If one has issues with one tire spin in wet corner they will be 180* and going backwards toward oncoming traffic and no, engine torque won't be the reason or poor tire choice, it will be driver skill level, and what I have learn driving hard and tracking a car with open diff is less demanding than LSD equipped car. I agree, benefits are there, but if you can't (you don't know how to) utilize them is absolutely useless and pointless to have LSD. I work on cars and installed mine myself. It cost me about $1300 all in and honestly have small regret as I realized that: #1 my driving skill isn't there to explore the limits of LSD on track in primarily daily driver car and #2 don't notice any difference on the street since I go to track to drive aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #41
Kevin39
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 N55

Sucks you went through all that work and don't like it. I guess we just have differing opinions on it. M cars come with them for a reason and I just prefer the way the car behaves with it. I definitely don't agree with it being more dangerous or more likely to spin out if you still have all the traction control stuff on.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:36 AM   #42
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

Could skid really well in lsd equipped e46 m3 with fuck all power. Cant skid for shit in 335 with dickloads of power, car hates skidding.

Lsd is goat.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #43
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Yes, might be right, but open diff is easier and from the same reason safer to drive regardless of traction control on or off. If one has issues with one tire spin in wet corner they will be 180* and going backwards toward oncoming traffic and no, engine torque won't be the reason or poor tire choice, it will be driver skill level, and what I have learn driving hard and tracking a car with open diff is less demanding than LSD equipped car. I agree, benefits are there, but if you can't (you don't know how to) utilize them is absolutely useless and pointless to have LSD. I work on cars and installed mine myself. It cost me about $1300 all in and honestly have small regret as I realized that: #1 my driving skill isn't there to explore the limits of LSD on track in primarily daily driver car and #2 don't notice any difference on the street since I go to track to drive aggressively.
You are clueless if you think an open diff is safer than an LSD with traction control off. My car would always go sideways when it spun on the stock diff... with LSD it still spins but goes straight. An LSD feels amazing when accelerating from a stop into a 90 degree corner. With some throttle the backend rotates around very controlled.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #44
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown07 View Post
You are clueless if you think an open diff is safer than an LSD with traction control off. My car would always go sideways when it spun on the stock diff... with LSD it still spins but goes straight. An LSD feels amazing when accelerating from a stop into a 90 degree corner. With some throttle the backend rotates around very controlled.
So is amazing when accelerating from a stop into a 90 degree corner? That is great and I would not know as I do not do that nor I installed LSD to do that. However I'm glad that you utilize your LSD to its potential and that you are satisfied.
Appreciate 0