E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Seeking your advice: What % above invoice?

12-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #23
bmulvihi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

What is in the MSRP???

On the BMW web site if you build your own and then check the details it says: "...Options, freight, dealer preparation, applicable levies, industry fees (up t0 $595) are included. Applicable taxes are extra..."
A call to the BMW Canada head office confirms this and yet my dealer says it isn't so.

Does anyone have better information

Bill
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #24
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulvihi View Post
On the BMW web site if you build your own and then check the details it says: "...Options, freight, dealer preparation, applicable levies, industry fees (up t0 $595) are included. Applicable taxes are extra..."
A call to the BMW Canada head office confirms this and yet my dealer says it isn't so.

Does anyone have better information

Bill
Wow, holy thread revival! I started this thread when I purchased my 335i two years ago.

Bill, you need to have an accurate listing of all the costs. If it dealer says it ain't so, then ask them, "What is it exactly?" Websites can have errors, that's for sure. But don't just take the dealer's their word for it, ask them to itemize all costs.

Also, I strongly recommend you do your own homework. Nowadays you can get invoice & incentives information for a small fee. You can go through (for profit) companies like Car Cost Canada or the consumer advocacy agency, Automobile Protection Association. Whether for profit or not, you're looking at a relatively low price to get that kind of information, but it gives you a great amount of leverage.

Others may have more information on the current (for profit) companies that offer invoice and incentive information and their prices. I personally am a member of the non-profit Automobile Protection Association (APA), pay their annual fees and get quotes as part of my membership. More information about the APA can be found at: APA.ca

Just used similar information again to order my second BMW.
      12-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #25
antrot
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 335i sedan

Would you guys say getting 9 percent off msrp s a sweet deal on a remaining 2011. About 9300 off....? plus matts jacket and M frames.....
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #26
bmulvihi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

What is in the MSRP???

Thanks, I have all the costs and details. Also, my dealer says that if it is included he will refund. He promised to get me a letter from BMW Canada 2 months ago and he is stalling. BMW Canada will not answer a querie I sent asking them the question. I will check with outside agencies. Is there an ombudsman or anything at BMW Canada who would talk to me??? Bill
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #27
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Thanks for your advice everyone, especially Kelvin mu for the range/ percentage markup

No, the car I want is not on a lot. Therefore, I understand they won't have this extra motivation to reduce the price.

I'm fine with giving them a decent, but "slim" mark-up (e.g. 5-6% below MRSP). In return, they'll get a quick and easy sale - re, "Where do I sign?"

Yeah, I don't get the impression the recession is hitting them that much here...
BMW is notorious for giving cars away at this time of year.....part of the reason sales are up. I got $8,000 off list 2 yrs ago and they are doing it again. Thats without asking. Trick is finding a car you like. New e92 replacement is at least a year away I believe.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #28
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Closed the deal this afternoon. They knew I was super serious.

I started off by saying, "I did my homework." Then I gave them an offer, in writing. I said, "You accept, I sign."

Salesman went into the manager's office for a few minutes. Came out to shake my hand. By far the easiest transaction I have ever made. Not one single back and forth.

I wish to thank in particular CanadianDriver and Kelvin mu for their advice.

Edited to add: Deal was 5.7% off MSRP

Edited again to add: I also had an idea of a ceiling I would be willing to go up to, if they didn't accept my first offer. I decided that before going to the dealership. I feel having such a ceiling decided in my own mind helps with my sense of assuredness, etc., once I am in the negociating process.
Congratulations Julie but the only problem with your method is that they were offering MORE than that in incentives..without asking. Maranello had a silver sport 6mt and they offered it to me in early December 09 for $9,000 off list. I settled on a different car at $8,000 off from a different dealer. Doesnt make for much of a relationship either.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #29
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Congratulations Julie but the only problem with your method is that they were offering MORE than that in incentives..without asking. Maranello had a silver sport 6mt and they offered it to me in early December 09 for $9,000 off list. I settled on a different car at $8,000 off from a different dealer. Doesnt make for much of a relationship either.
Yes, I am aware that Maranello (2 years ago) was trying to offload a couple of '09 coupes, as was my dealership, with several thousands in incentives. Due to factory incentives from the manufacturer to the dealer. (Everything dealer is offering without being asked doesn't cost them a thing.) There are currently several thousands on the table again for '11 models. Such cars will be an additional year older coming off the lot and that will be reflected in (eventual) trade in value. There were no factory incentives at the time I purchased my '10 model. (I wanted an '10 with specific colors, etc., and the additional standard equipment that was added in '10 as compared to '09)
      12-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #30
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulvihi View Post
Thanks, I have all the costs and details. Also, my dealer says that if it is included he will refund. He promised to get me a letter from BMW Canada 2 months ago and he is stalling. BMW Canada will not answer a querie I sent asking them the question. I will check with outside agencies. Is there an ombudsman or anything at BMW Canada who would talk to me??? Bill
Unfortunately, no ombudsman. If you're not satisfied, speak to another dealer?
      12-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #31
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
BMW is notorious for giving cars away at this time of year.....part of the reason sales are up. I got $8,000 off list 2 yrs ago and they are doing it again. Thats without asking. Trick is finding a car you like. New e92 replacement is at least a year away I believe.
I should add that, for those that don't mind a car that's a year older for whatever reason, that's a great deal.

I was tempted to scoop up a remaining '11 M3 for the same reason (great incentives), but again, I wanted the '12 model more for certain reasons (eg '12 standard equipment/ options and a particular color combo.)
      12-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #32
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I should add that, for those that don't mind a car that's a year older for whatever reason, that's a great deal.

I was tempted to scoop up a remaining '11 M3 for the same reason (great incentives), but again, I wanted the '12 model more for certain reasons (eg '12 standard equipment/ options and a particular color combo.)
Youre right. If you are buying the car it is instantly a year older but if you are leasing then resale doesn't matter. It is reflected in residual but not even close to leasing a 2010.
Appreciate 0