E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 4chan is on a rampage

12-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #23
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Mastercard, Visa, Paypal...whoever should have just stayed out of it and let the government deal with Wikileaks.

By getting involved in this matter, they've asked for something they didn't see coming and now their paying for it dearly. Don't F*** with hackers.

Web Apps are prime targets for hack attacks, mainly because companies almost never care enough to check them for vulnerabilities. If I were a business man, I'd invest heavily into security companies who focus on web app security. Your gonna see a lot of companies take MC has an example make sure their shit is straight
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #24
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
Mastercard, Visa, Paypal...whoever should have just stayed out of it and let the government deal with Wikileaks.

By getting involved in this matter, they've asked for something they didn't see coming and now their paying for it dearly. Don't F*** with hackers.
Aside from the fact that I've made numerous Visa and Mastercard transactions today with absolutely no problem, these hacker's perceived notion that they are protecting free speech is inherently flawed. Businesses can choose who they do business with, and they chose not to process transactions for Wikileaks, ie they chose not to do business with them. The solution is not to hack into their servers, effectively attempting to prevent their and their multitudes of clients' from exercising their own free will in the market.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #25
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Visa and Mastercards actions were political motivated.

btw btm chat
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #26
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
Visa and Mastercards actions were political motivated.
Who cares if they were? There are politics in all businesses. They didn't want to be associated with or perceived to support wikileaks, so they stopped processing their transactions. They're allowed to.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #27
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Who cares if they were? There are politics in all businesses. They didn't want to be associated with or perceived to support wikileaks, so they stopped processing their transactions. They're allowed to.
and the hackers want to attack them for backing out...so what? let them do it.

dont fuck with 4chan
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #28
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
They weren't fucking with 4chan. They made a decision based on the political environment surrounding wikileaks. While I know and agree that companies are and should be very concerned with security, you don't make a business decision out of fear that a bunch of losers unable to apply themselves in a productive manner on 4chan would attempt to take down your company. Which they haven't, and won't. I'd chat but I gotta go use my Visa a few more times
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #29
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep

Quote:
They weren't fucking with 4chan. They made a decision based on the political environment surrounding wikileaks. While I know and agree that companies are and should be very concerned with security, you don't make a business decision out of fear that a bunch of losers unable to apply themselves in a productive manner on 4chan would attempt to take down your company. Which they haven't, and won't. I'd chat but I gotta go use my Visa a few more times
they probably hacked your credit card number too. good luck lol
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #30
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

4chan is full of pathetic kids who should find more productive uses for their time...I'm not surprised
      12-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #31
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

eh I always enjoy watching the targeted attacks when someone pisses off a group.

don't care which side of the fence you're on, I enjoy it, and truly am a tad bit envious
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #32
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:

dont fuck with 4chan
One action is legal and the other is illegal.

Care to guess where 4chan's actions fall under?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #33
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

yeah...who cares...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #34
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Those companies need to hire those guys, not sue them
      12-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #35
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

What the hell is WikiLeaks?

Why the hell did MC/VISA/Others deny them service?

Why is the founder of WikiLeaks being arrested under Sexual Charges?

Why the hell is 4Chan still up if they know 4Chan is doing it? Geez, I wonder sometimes why their servers aren't just cut off.

And why the hell is 4Chan involved in this anyways?
      12-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #36
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:

not condoning this per se, but throughout the united state's history there have been 'illegal' actions that were necessary.
I'm also not comparing this to the revolutionary events, I'm simply just trying to try to start an argument
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #37
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Those companies need to hire those guys, not sue them
No they don't lol. DoS attacks aren't exactly "complicated" to do. It's just sending a bunch of junk and overloading the servers. But I'll tell you know, a Multi-billion dollar financial institution sure-the-fuck is going to find where these 4Chan hackers are coming from and most likely arrest them.
      12-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #38
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post

Why the hell did MC/VISA/Others deny them service?

Why is the founder of WikiLeaks being arrested under Sexual Charges?

Why the hell is 4Chan still up if they know 4Chan is doing it? Geez, I wonder sometimes why their servers aren't just cut off.

And why the hell is 4Chan involved in this anyways?
Here's the majority of the questions:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/ne...ter-MasterCard

and taking down 4chan? Seriously? I'm going to come off as an ass, but that's one of the stupidest things I think I've heard in a while. That's literally like saying 'why don't they take down the internet'. Referencing 4chan..it's not a location, nor a website, it's a group of people. A large group of people
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #39
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

Well, if you're just arguing legality. I'm willing to bet that there's at least one anon who's operating in a area where there are no laws against this. So then it wouldn't be illegal, from that one person's standpoint. Please note that I recognize my example only represents a small minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
Here's the majority of the questions:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/ne...ter-MasterCard

and taking down 4chan? Seriously? I'm going to come off as an ass, but that's one of the stupidest things I think I've heard in a while. That's literally like saying 'why don't they take down the internet'. Referencing 4chan..it's not a location, nor a website, it's a group of people. A large group of people

I can predict retaliation if they bring down 4chan. Knowing the type of personality 4chan has developed throughout the years, 4chan won't stays down; the /b/tards will just unite somewhere else. Wouldn't be surprised if the mob gets bigger as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
eh I always enjoy watching the targeted attacks when someone pisses off a group.

don't care which side of the fence you're on, I enjoy it, and truly am a tad bit envious
I'm enjoying my too.

Quote:

dont fuck with 4chan

well, they could fuck with 4chan if they so choose, but there would be consequences. not arguing right or wrong, but the fact there will be a response.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #40
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Wikileaks 250,000 classified embassy communications
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #41
mklimis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Italian and German

Quote:
Aside from the fact that I've made numerous Visa and Mastercard transactions today with absolutely no problem, these hacker's perceived notion that they are protecting free speech is inherently flawed. Businesses can choose who they do business with, and they chose not to process transactions for Wikileaks, ie they chose not to do business with them. The solution is not to hack into their servers, effectively attempting to prevent their and their multitudes of clients' from exercising their own free will in the market.
VISA and Mastercard are publicly traded companies. A company deciding whom to do business with based on the interest of a small group or government is fundamentally wrong on many levels. Not to mention a governments ability to silence those they cannot defeat in court with intimidation and technological extortion. Anonymous is fighting what they have for a long time, Censorship and Net Neutrality.

Wikileaks is just a messenger and not the culprit. So why are we shooting the messenger?

"Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise."
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #42
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

It can't be that VISA and Mastercard transactions in any way rely upon their WWW sites being operational. I mean, the network that supports these financial transactions do not rely upon the WWW. They wouldn't host the web site on the same servers or even the same network used for transaction processing.... would they?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #43
mklimis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Italian and German

Quote:
But I'll tell you know, a Multi-billion dollar financial institution sure-the-fuck is going to find where these 4Chan hackers are coming from and most likely arrest them.
There really isn't anything they can do. Ask AT&T, who am sure is infinitely more capable of somehow containing Anonymous or at least identifying them..

1.AT&T blocked 4chan for its subscribers
2.Anonymous proposes a large scale attack/raid against AT&T
3.AT&T's private information, employee home phones #'s etc is posted on 4chan
5. AT&T calls a truce before it get's worse

"Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise."
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #44
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Quote:
No they don't lol. DoS attacks aren't exactly "complicated" to do. It's just sending a bunch of junk and overloading the servers. But I'll tell you know, a Multi-billion dollar financial institution sure-the-fuck is going to find where these 4Chan hackers are coming from and most likely arrest them.
Any other IT nerds out there find it funny that the same guy who asks why 4Chan is still up - is talking about how DoS attacks aren't complicated to do? :P

Can I get a link to the Anarchists Cookbook?
Appreciate 0