E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Meth kit in the works for the 335d

10-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #177
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

for the average guy it might be Ace but for someone knowledgable it might not be
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #178
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
for the average guy it might be Ace but for someone knowledgable it might not be
I don't know crap about it. Haha
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #179
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

LOL xbox
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #180
kc1337
Private
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Hey guys, since burger tuning doesn't have the meth kit available now. I am looking for the next best alternative.

Currently I have JBD on the car, looking for something that I could tap from the washerfluid.

Any advice?

mainly doing this to prevent carbon buildup.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #181
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

kc look at other links about this or inquire with TDi I beleive he has meth BTW where the hell is Ron1n
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #182
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Is there a meth kit available for the 335D then? I'd like to get one, and then remap the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 04:52 AM   #183
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

There is a Universal kit sold by SNOW Performance and it cost around $500 US Dollars check them out Mob17
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #184
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
There is a Universal kit sold by SNOW Performance and it cost around $500 US Dollars check them out Mob17
Cheers Alex.

Is there anyone on here that has the Snow Performance meth kit on their 335D? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #185
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

+1. On diesel engines you dont have the same risk as petrol to run lean with a meth system failure. So instead of waiting for a specific system for your car that is just a universal kit fine tuned for your car at a higher price due to r&d and company name, you better buy a universal kit and tuned yourself on a dyno according with ecu datalogs.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #186
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Just checked out Snow Performance and they do 4 kits for turbo diesels: http://www.snowperformance.eu/boost-...sel/index.html

Which one should i get? I don't really understand the different specs. Also when i put a meth kit on, do i need to get the car remapped, or can i just add it on and get t remapped at a later date?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #187
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Just checked out Snow Performance and they do 4 kits for turbo diesels: http://www.snowperformance.eu/boost-...sel/index.html

Which one should i get? I don't really understand the different specs. Also when i put a meth kit on, do i need to get the car remapped, or can i just add it on and get t remapped at a later date?
I believe the HIGH BOOST one is what you want. I'm still planning out a similar kit for mine (their stage 2 kit on the US site).
      12-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #188
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevers314 View Post
I believe the HIGH BOOST one is what you want. I'm still planning out a similar kit for mine (their stage 2 kit on the US site).
There is safer ways to run high boost without meth. My car its been pretty reliable with 442hp and 625tq over almost a year as a daily car. Even on dyno the temps was normal: ait, oil and water.

Even if you want to keep it with stock hardware, i beleive that meth will destroy in a short period the dpf, which is the main heat issue for high boost.

I believe that stock max boost is 1.8bar and the max that a stock car can handle is 2.3bar (~370hp). At this level be ready to replace exhaust manifolds at least once a year and to make dpf regen all the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #189
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Just read about a 335D here in the UK which has 391bhp and 600lb/ft! I think its has had its dpf removed, an Aquamist meth kit and a remap.

From reading so far, apparantly Aquamist/Vishnu kits are better than the Snow Performance type kits. Something about PWM-V vs PPS. Scroll to the bottom: http://procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/methanol/methanol.html
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #190
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

what a beast mob17 have him join our forum we need ADVISE from this guy
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #191
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=mob17;15104645]Just read about a 335D here in the UK which has 391bhp and 600lb/ft! I think its has had its dpf removed, an Aquamist meth kit and a remap. [QUOTE]

Seriously... All that torque and wasn't even able to cross the 400hp mark. With a proper tune he could make that power with meth off and less torque. Torque is the enemy of our cars. It is much more easy to obtain than HP.

Why do you want so bad a Meth system? Because it will look cool on your mod list?

1. It will make you need to fill the meth tank all the time or fill the trunk with a huge meth tank. Diesel systems needs a much higher flow than petrol engines to show some results.

2. It will make you need to buy a fire extinguisher. Very risky if you run with a high % of meth and have leaks close to hot areas, like exhaust or engine bay.

3. It will make you need to monitorize all the time the meth pump working. In case of failure it can hydrolock the engine.

4. Decarb advantages? There is campanies (http://www.terraclean.net/index.php) that does a better job for a fraction of the cost.

5. Temps control? Better having temps controled by uprated intercooler and free flow exhaust than relying that work in just a meth system.

For the price of the meth systems that you are looking you can buy a wagner intercooler and still save money for dpf deleted and a proper tune for about 410-420hp.

I will only consider a meth system if someone shows at least +50hp than my setup, which i find pretty hard with the ZF 6HP26/8 gearbox. For a minor hp increase, my car still have room to play with the stock fuel system and turbo boost levels.
      12-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #192
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Tiago: I don't so bad want a meth system. Just recently started to read up on it and wanted to get as much info as possible. But i can't deny that it would have sounded cool!

You make good points, which i appreciate. It's slightly halted my initial optimism using meth. Are you saying with a Wagner IC, dpf delete and a remap i'd get above 400 bhp?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #193
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
You make good points, which i appreciate. It's slightly halted my initial optimism using meth. Are you saying with a Wagner IC, dpf delete and a remap i'd get above 400 bhp?
Yes, even with a medium ecu programmer.

Sorry to destroy your idea about meth, but i have a system installed in a petrol car and i know pretty well the cons of it. It isn't only advantages like most talk about it, specially those that don't have any experience with it or are selling it.
      12-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #194
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep

A E90 335d with the same turbos than mine:

12-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #195
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
A E90 335d with the same turbos than mine
I believe that DOE actually did a study and found that water/meth injection in diesel applications increased fuel economy and engine output without having any significantly adverse effect on emissions...not sure the same could be said about smokey there.

I definitely hear your points, T. And it is true that you are adding another system to the vehicle and therefore another point of failure. However, diesel and gas methanol applications differ pretty heavily as far as risk and ease. Also, I don't think many folks in their right mind would be running over 49% meth in their water/meth mixture on a day-to-day basis (which takes care of the safety items you mentioned). As long as you stick w/ lower percentages, it is literally no different than driving around with an extra tank of windshield washer fluid.

I'd love to see some aftermarket turbos for our application stateside, but I don't think meth is as bad of an option as you may feel it is.

With that said, I do not have meth installed to my car currently (nor would i install it on my past gassers) so I am not speaking from personal experience while you, however, are. I am fairly risk-averse with my modding, though, and would be completely willing to install a good meth kit after what research I have done on the topic as it specifically pertains to diesel applications.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #196
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep

Meth do increase diesel engine performance but only if you have problems to control egt's, which is not the case. The temps of my car are rock solid at minimum operation values. You need to sort first a reinforcement kit or a swap for the gearbox for at least a minimum of 1000nm. Only then you may need to think on a meth kit.

With 50% water and 50% meth you are pretty safe. This mixture dont burn.

Diesels do consume much more water/meth to show decent results. 1 gallon should last 10min on a race track. And i'm being optimist.

BTW, my car dont smoke as bad as the orange e90... different ecu tuning companies. Just same turbos with similar output.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #197
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
Meth do increase diesel engine performance but only if you have problems to control egt's, which is not the case. The temps of my car are rock solid at minimum operation values. You need to sort first a reinforcement kit or a swap for the gearbox for at least a minimum of 1000nm. Only then you may need to think on a meth kit.

With 50% water and 50% meth you are pretty safe. This mixture dont burn.

Diesels do consume much more water/meth to show decent results. 1 gallon should last 10min on a race track. And i'm being optimist.

BTW, my car dont smoke as bad as the orange e90... different ecu tuning companies. Just same turbos with similar output.
I think I've seen the videos of your car, and it is definitely not Smokey the Bandit as this one seems to be.

I will be interested to see how quickly the car burns through meth with the nozzles and programming I have in my head (tweaking can always occur as needed). Ideally, I'd only like to top off the tank at about the same interval as adding fuel. As odd as it sounds, I probably wouldn't keep the system armed on a circuit track (its going to be the driver's abilities slowing me down, not the hp of the car). I would,however, keep it on for a 1/4mi track, and this is probably the only time at which I would consider running higher concentrations temporarily.

I've found some leaks in my system that I will want to get addressed (ie upper red charge pip seal) prior to any modifications, so it may be just a bit before we have to worry about having everything installed.

Once everything is done (probably early spring), I'd be happy to perform a dyno with and without the meth system armed to document actual results.

We'll see how it works out.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #198
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep

It is always good to see results from others members that go chasing performance from alternative ways.

Although i dont have much faith on it by the reasons that i posted above, i'm anxious to see your results.
Appreciate 0