E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > My letter to BMW

10-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
tbonecopper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i 2006 Loaded

My letter to BMW

As many of you know, I have a (still un resolved) Ongoing issue with the iDrive and iPod kit in my 2006 330i

This is the letter I sent to BMW .

---
Since the purchase, delivery, and acquisition of my 330i, I've had problems with it's iDrive system AND the iPod hard-install kit.

To begin with, the 3 series only has 4 options for iDrive, Up is Communication, Down is Entertainment, Left is Climate, and Right is Navigation.

It seems that when you go to pull down to access any option requiring your selection to be moved down, it does not recognise the command at all; and you have to push down at various angles to move the selection down.

To give you an example, it's like the car has the iDrive 7 series hardware, where the iDrive has 8 options instead of the 3 series and it's 4 options. You almost always have to pull down to the left or right corner to get it to move down, and that doesn't always work.

I have brough the vehicle in to service for this issue three times, and all they have done is said to be patient that the computer is loading the selection which it isn't. Finally on Friday they decided to order me a entire new iDrive kit, making me wait without my vehicle for over a week due to it's shipping constraints.

I may have a loaner, but it is NOT the same vehicle, it's an X3, I'm not accustomed to driving a SUV/SAV, and I would like my vehicle repaired.

Also I have brough the vehicle in three times, the current drop off being the third, for issues with the iPod playlist scroll in conjunction with the iDrive. As I'm sure you may be aware of, if you select a playlist, you have the option of scrolling through the playlist and selecting a new song. I'm sure you also know that the iDrive screen shows you what song you are listening to, and if you scroll through the playlist and don't select something, it reseats the screen to show you what you're currently listening to after 5 or 10 seconds.

Often when this happens, the selection will start to move around by itself, uncontrollably, locking up the iDrive screen for a extended period of time, rendering the car useless.

I find it difficult to believe, from what the techs and service advisors are telling me that the vehicles refusal to recognise the downward push of the iDrive knob, and the erratic/sporadic and fully uncontrollable use of the iPod playlist are normal.

Only once has the iPod issue been witnessed by another tech, this past Friday, when they also told me they would order me a new iDrive kit and have it installed.

I would like to know what else can be done about this. Surely BMW themselves has to be aware of the problem, and not make me wait a week or more to get my vehicle back. I would also like a credit from BMW Financial Services from the date I dropped my car off to the date I picked it up, because I was unable to drive the vehicle, per it being in service.

Please contact me as soon as possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Must be very frustrating....good luck with that obnoxious bureaucracy!

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
firstbimmer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 M3 & '15 f15 X5 35i x

I'll bet they get back to you real quick

Sorry about your problems but it seems like your dealer is doing everything they can to help you out and fix the problem seeing that they've ordered replacement units for both issues and given you a BMW loaner. Honestly, I think being one of the first year buyers, you're going to have to accept some quirks in the electronics while they work out the bugs. Nothing's perfect in life, especially not first year electronics.

I wish you the best of luck in getting the problem resolved, but from info in your letter, it sounds like you're one of the lucky few who actually has a dealer doing everything they can to help you out

Is there really anything else the dealer can do?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Man that sucks! They better give you credit for it being in the shop!
      10-21-2006, 09:27 PM   #5
tbonecopper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well I will lemon law the thing eventually, if they can't fix it..

I will give the dealer (TomBush BMW Of Jacksonville) credit, they ARE doing what they can, although I know for a fact that they can overnight the parts, as they come from Missiouri (Spelling?).

Regarding the loaner, while it's nice to have, I have to give it back on Monday. Why? Well because I'm 20, I can't have a loaner car through the service department and I have to use sales loaners, Well the one I have has been reserved for return on Monday, and from what the sales manager and service manager have told me, there won't be any loaners (service or sales type) returning till the following monday, rendering me car-less.

And honestly, I really don't care if they credit me the day's it's in service, I can't go to work tho, because I don't have a vehicle, come Monday.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
dmm325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver E90 335i

the same type thing happen to my dad with his M5, he had it for 3 months and the tranny, clutch and flywheel needed to be replaced cause the car lost all power for some odd reason. It was in the shop for 3 weeks and finally my dad brought up the lemon law and from there they got him a new car etc.

But one thing i will say which u seem to be saying too is the dealer is doing what they can and treating you well, atleast thats what they did for my dad.
      10-21-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
tbonecopper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well I'll give the dealership the benefit of the doubt and try to wait it out. It's going to be difficult, without a car, I hope my company will understand that.

It sucks that Ford and GM can give 20 year olds loaners, but BMW can't. I guess they don't expect many 20 year olds to drive a loaded 330i either.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
dmm325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver E90 335i

im 19 and ive tried the same thing but they keep telling me its their insurance that doesnt allow people under 21 to drive their loaners.