E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > IS MY CAR BRICKED ? Please help will pay !

10-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30, 06 325i, 07 328i

So I have some serious issues that I caused to happen. I have a 2006 325i with the N52 motor. My transmission was downshifting with a slight thud when coming to a complete stop. A friend has access to the Autel Maxi Sys Elite Scanner and recommended checking for codes. I agreed and so he scanned the car and many stored codes came up so he cleared everything. The scanner downloaded updates I guess but it started programming and coding and it's all a mess from there.
First off there was no power source connected to the car and I'm sure the voltage dropped. Prior to this incident I had only the seatbelt and airbag lights on the dash. After the scanner did it's thing I have airbag, seatbelt, brake, Abs, service soon, and wheel speed sensor ( I think...it's a triangle with 3/4 circle around it with an arrow at the end of the circle). Beside that my speedometer is not working, my turn signal auto cancellation is not working, I'm almost certain that my water pump isn't working, (I get a radiator blind error) windows won't work and possibly more stuff.
Since this incident I connected a small scanner for Bmw e90 and I get no communication with ABS Module for sure and Rad2 Gateway.
What do I need to do to be able to get some help? I know there tons of software out there I've never used any of it but I am computer / tech savvy. I will load some pics in a few minutes.
Where do I start ? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 🙏
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

That sounds 'fun'! Sorry, I don't have any specific help, but I'd get a USB/kdcan cable, and download standard tools (both) from bimmergeeks. This should be most of the software you need to get back up and running. Good luck with it!

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1405801
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Sounds like you might need to default code some modules. I got DSC and turn signal messing up after I replaced the clockspring. All I had to do was recalibrate it.

I have Bimmergeeks Protool. It's an Android app.
Join their Protool facebook group as that's where you will get the fastest response.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
dtalanga
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3series View Post
So I have some serious issues that I caused to happen. I have a 2006 325i with the N52 motor. My transmission was downshifting with a slight thud when coming to a complete stop. A friend has access to the Autel Maxi Sys Elite Scanner and recommended checking for codes. I agreed and so he scanned the car and many stored codes came up so he cleared everything. The scanner downloaded updates I guess but it started programming and coding and it's all a mess from there.
First off there was no power source connected to the car and I'm sure the voltage dropped. Prior to this incident I had only the seatbelt and airbag lights on the dash. After the scanner did it's thing I have airbag, seatbelt, brake, Abs, service soon, and wheel speed sensor ( I think...it's a triangle with 3/4 circle around it with an arrow at the end of the circle). Beside that my speedometer is not working, my turn signal auto cancellation is not working, I'm almost certain that my water pump isn't working, (I get a radiator blind error) windows won't work and possibly more stuff.
Since this incident I connected a small scanner for Bmw e90 and I get no communication with ABS Module for sure and Rad2 Gateway.
What do I need to do to be able to get some help? I know there tons of software out there I've never used any of it but I am computer / tech savvy. I will load some pics in a few minutes.
Where do I start ? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 🙏
I had a similar issue with an 07 328i while I was coding the abs module. Download BMW Rheingold/Ista-p, get the correct obd to usb connector and when you connect it you can set it to automatically reinitialize and recode all of the modules in the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for the advice. Do you think that I will need to replace any modules being the voltage dropped during all of this. I do not get any communication with the ABS module. As far as connecting a power source to the car while programming I've read that a battery charger is not suitable for this. I have another car with brand new batteries that are very high grade batteries (I paid like $400 each for) and a high output alternator. The car has a big sound system and voltage doesn't drop in that car so could I just connect the two via jumper cables and have the power source car running of course with the stereo equipment turned off ? Do I need to go purchase a power supply ? I'm not really certain I'm sure what they mean by power supply. So I should not try to use this autel maxi sys elite scanner any further to program with ? It is a very capable scanner but I don't know where it's downloading from. It does connect to my car and loads the vin and than grabs files from the web up in the corner it says "bmw v13.1" which is the version number of the software it's using. Is there a way to copy the programming from one car and flash it to another? My friend has the exact same car that I do and we thought maybe we could use his car to somehow program mine ?! Thanks again for responding to my thread guys. I appreciate any and all advice I can get. Thank you very much
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks guys for the advice. Do you think that I will need to replace any modules being the voltage dropped during all of this. I do not get any communication with the ABS module. As far as connecting a power source to the car while programming I've read that a battery charger is not suitable for this. I have another car with brand new batteries that are very high grade batteries (I paid like $400 each for) and a high output alternator. The car has a big sound system and voltage doesn't drop in that car so could I just connect the two via jumper cables and have the power source car running of course with the stereo equipment turned off ? Do I need to go purchase a power supply ? I'm not really certain I'm sure what they mean by power supply. So I should not try to use this autel maxi sys elite scanner any further to program with ? It is a very capable scanner but I don't know where it's downloading from. It does connect to my car and loads the vin and than grabs files from the web up in the corner it says "bmw v13.1" which is the version number of the software it's using. Is there a way to copy the programming from one car and flash it to another? My friend has the exact same car that I do and we thought maybe we could use his car to somehow program mine ?! Thanks again for responding to my thread guys. I appreciate any and all advice I can get. Thank you very much

Honestly grab a K+DCAN cable (Bimmergeeks/Bimmerlabs can help) and use NCSExpert or even Rheingold/ISTA if you wanna get fancy to reprogram it. I'm sure that scanner is plenty capable but if it put you in this mess and you're not entirely sure how to use it, I wouldn't continue.

The DATEN files included with the download of BMW Standard Tools (Bimmergeeks website) will include all the factory coding and tailor it specifically to your car (from the VO - vehicle order).

Also just use a quality battery tender. I've been flashing my tunes and editing stuff with an old trusty tender attached to the underhood terminals for years at this point with zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Looks like you lost the most important module 2rad most gateway. You shouldn't try more with anything but icom interface. Don't even think using ista-p to reprogram the car. Even bmw shops have problems updating the whole and they end up calling bmw Germany to use their engineering tools to resurrect a car after full reprogramming attempt failure.

It is possible to return your car back to life with bmw tool32 and winpkf but using icom which can communicate with the most network. K-can interface cannot.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm a little confused now because of conflicting advice where one says use kdcan the other says that won't work. I do have another smaller scanner that's for bmw here are some pics of some codes it also does live data. Don't know if these will help or if they are even what I should be looking at or for I'm a noob with the software /coding of these cars. I am using the app and it shows the pic kinda cut off where you can't read parts of them but if you actually click on the picture it shows the whole picture. Also I can only post a few pics at a time using this app for some reason
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

More pics I can only post a few at a time dont know why
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #10
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

More pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #11
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

More pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The expertise on this kind of problem is found on the coding subforum.
You don't want to do updates on these cars without a regulated power
supply and only do it reluctantly if you have a problem.
For whole car updates and those should be done with and ICOM Cable
and Ista P.
Having standard tools and ista d is the best way to do this as it
is BMW software.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368

diagnostic manual ista/inpa
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xo19teM9vkTF-C
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7x8H3pN8h1fMuF
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do

electical e90 pdf
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGU&cad=rja
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU

georges links
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...9&d=1539905743
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 11:12 PM   #13
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

You're going to need to reflash.
      10-13-2019, 02:36 AM   #14
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Wouid it be possible to have this thread over to the coding subforum ? I would hate to post the same questions therefore making a duplicate thread but I think I should have posted there in the first place I just wasn't sure because the description of the coding subforum says unleashing hidden features and for retrofits. I wasn't sure If coding meant just for customizing or not. But I see now that programming and coding are one in the same and my issue may be better addressed in that forum. Thanks CTUNA for clarifying that for me as welll I was already thinking the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 05:14 AM   #15
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Wouid it be possible to have this thread over to the coding subforum ? I would hate to post the same questions therefore making a duplicate thread but I think I should have posted there in the first place I just wasn't sure because the description of the coding subforum says unleashing hidden features and for retrofits. I wasn't sure If coding meant just for customizing or not. But I see now that programming and coding are one in the same and my issue may be better addressed in that forum. Thanks CTUNA for clarifying that for me as welll I was already thinking the same thing.
Just repost in the coding forum.

FWIW coding and programming are not the same at all to BMW engineers.

'Programming' means reflashing the program code for a given module. If you were using BMW standard tools (factory software that is quick and powerful but requires a little German translating) you'd employ WinKFP for this task. Programming is how 'updates' are applied and is usually only required for that purpose - unless you do something stupid like ever using non-BMW software. It is possible to permanently injure a module if you perform programming incorrectly.

'Coding' means changing parameter settings for a give module that are pre-defined by the engineers to control specific features (like kms vs miles or whether you see a warning screen from the CIC on startup). In BMW standard tools you'd use NCSExpert for this. Customization via coding is very commonly performed by hobbyists like us. You cannot do any permanent damage by coding with NCSExpert.

The other major software tools are ISTA-D and ISTA-P. They are dealer level tools and are powerful and in English but not flexible. ISTA-D is for diagnostics (largely) while ISTA-P is for programming and coding. ISTA-D is useful - it has text and graphic information about component locations and does a lot of hand holding through diagnostic procedures. ISTA-P is not for you. You don't need it and it will probably get you in trouble.

If you have a good K/D-CAN cable you can program most (maybe or maybe not all) modules but it can take many hours to do a big one like the CIC. On the other hand, you can code any module without fear using a K/D-CAN cable. The other cable choice is ICOM, which uses the optical MOST bus to connect rather than the CAN bus. It's expensive. I've never needed it and have programmed and coded many (but not all) modules on several E9x series vehicles.

Software can be freely downloaded through links at bimmergeeks.com. Buy their ProCable ($40). I would not buy a no-name cable from ebay or amazon. In most cases it doesn't matter which cable you use but the cheapo cables have a firmware bug that will brick certain modules (for example, the MSS60 DME in E9x M3 vehicles).

Pay attention to the links CTUNA has provided. To re-state and emphasize some of what he said, there's a learning curve for this. #1 get a regulated power supply and never let the voltage drop during any programming or coding session or you will be back in the world of pain you currently occupy.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #16
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Ista D is not a programing tool its a diagnostic tool with a
attached database that provides guided troubleshooting.

Ista P is programming but it is kind of robo blunt force programming
it's and all or nothing proposition and should really only be used
with an Icom cable and a large regulated power supply.

The Standard tools or Inpa suite is a BMW developed Engineering
Tool that allows manipulation coding and diagnostics on a lower
level for Individual Modules .

Also on cars made after 3/07 you need and Icom cable to do any programming
or coding on Most Bus Modules = Anything in the Entertainment System including
Bluetooth functions. Icom cables for Ista P always preferred for this.
(So on an 06 you should be able to get away with a K/D Can for everything)

Up until 3/07 these cars had a slower K can bus that allowed K/D can cables to work
for everything.
(Also this is a reason to buy the Bimmergeeks cable over the genric ebay ones its
faster and more stable)

The speed of programing is not the issue with the K/D Can cable the stability
and memory buffering is.

I would buy the bimmergeeks k/d can cable if you are getting one of those
the difference between a 20 dollar cable and 45 dollar cable is nothing compared
to the headaches or cost of not having a good one.
If you think 45 is expensive the recommended one used to One Stop Electronics at
100 bucks .

Read the last link in

diagnostic manual ista/inpa
link for insight on the cables.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-13-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #17
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Big thank you to dpaul and ctuna for Providing a clear and thorough explanation of coding and programming. Very helpful indeed. I'm not exactly sure why I said that they are one in the same. What I was meaning to say was that I had realized that coding and programming threads were both okay to post in the coding forum. The reason I hadn't posted this in the coding forum to begin with was because I knew programming was different than coding and I thought that forum was strictly for coding. I need programming obviously and than once I'm back to normal I may consider doing some coding.
My understanding was limited to my thought that coding is for customizing things and programming is for default settings. Now I fully understand thanks to you guys taking time out of your day to give me a hand I cant thank you enough for your advice and kindness. I kinda of think I'm in a little bit over my head as this area is unknown to me and I've got quite a mess here to deal with. Voltage did drop that's how I got here. Where do I get a power supply and what are some suitable models to buy? Do you think my modules are wasted some do not communicate ? I am uncertain if that autel maxi sys elite scanner uses bmw software or where it downloads from all I know is it said "bmw version 13.1" up in the corner on the screen but I guess that could be their own version of software. If anyone out there cares to help program my car via Skype or team viewer I would be happy to pay for your time and effort even if we fail. I just feel that some experience is critical here or more damage might occur
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 02:42 AM   #18
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Bricking is a regular issue that people come to the coding subforum
with . The difference between coding and programing(updating the car
is just detail) Both are changing the firmware to where you want to get it.
Doing one module at at a time is less risky.
With coding or when you are working on one module at a time its usually
not necessary to use a power supply because the sessions are so short
they don't stress the battery.
Always charge the battery when working on the car for extended amounts
of time if you do not disconnect the battery. When the car is awake it
drains the battery.

There are some people that would help you with remote sessions on the coding
board but you would need the bimmergeek.net downloads and a cable .
And it would be good if you had them set up and working before they started
sessions with you.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #19
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks again ctuna for sharing your knowledge. I have a question regarding the downloads from BimmerGeeks. I notice the SP DATEN download doesn't have a E90.rar file. Do I need to download this entire file or just part of it but it appears it's not for e90?? I do see an "e52.rar" file and wasn't sure if this is for the z8 or for e models with the n52 engine ??
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #20
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

The standard tools download from bimmergeeks comes with enough stuff
to fix almost any problem in and e90 without the need to update the
datens. No need to update it unless you want to get nerdy about having
the latest revision which will probably be unnoticeable to every day use.
Since your car is and 06 the very first model year probably almost every update
for that car is probably in Standard Tools alone already.

It may not contain some of the Euro Car specs for 4 cylinders and diesels or
maybe the Mini but almost all gas cars from the US are covered. And it
is 3 series centric.

They will have stopped making updates for the hardware number of each module
as the New Hardware comes out.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-16-2019 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #21
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Thanks again ctuna for sharing your knowledge. I have a question regarding the downloads from BimmerGeeks. I notice the SP DATEN download doesn't have a E90.rar file. Do I need to download this entire file or just part of it but it appears it's not for e90?? I do see an "e52.rar" file and wasn't sure if this is for the z8 or for e models with the n52 engine ??
If you do need datens for the e90, use the e89 daten file... But like ctuna says, there should be no need for it at this point!
Appreciate 0