E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > My freshly ceramic coated car got rained on!

11-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

My freshly ceramic coated car got rained on!

I applied 2 layers of CQuartz UK 3.0 on my 2011 Jet Black 328i yesterday around 4pm.

Today I went to go take my 2nd winter beater car to work (to allow the freshly coated care to stay in the garage and cure) but it wouldn't start so i was forced to take the coated car. The forecast said 10% chance of rain so I figured I'd be fine, but if it was fine then you wouldn't be reading this right now.

Around noon today (20 hours since coating applied) it started drizzling for about half an hour and then stopped. Over lunch, I drove the car to the auto parts store where i picked up some cheap MF towels and wiped off the remaining water droplets (most of the water had wicked off during the drive).

Now I'm home and inspecting the finish under an LED light reveals some very light swirling that I fear may have been introduced by the MF towels I used? I just got some cheap ones from O'rileys auto. However I can't say for absolute certain that this swirling wasn't present yesterday after applying and buffing off the coating. The swirls are not really visible in the daylight you have to look using an LED spot light of some sort to see them. See picture below.

View post on imgur.com

I have 2 questions:

1 - Did the rain hitting my car less than a day after coating application negatively effect my coating in any way?

2 - As for the light swirling, is the correct course of action to let the coating cure for a few weeks and then apply CarPro Essence Plus? Or is there something else I should do?

Thanks for any tips!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Name:  carpro.JPG
Views: 8086
Size:  43.8 KB

https://www.carpro-us.com/protection...-3-0-30ml-kit/
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

So it sounds like im pretty safe as far as the water goes, and i did try to do what it says about wiping any water that gets on there off, but i do think that the MF towels i used made light swirls.

Any insight on how to fix the swirls? Can I just polish again and re-apply the ceramic coating?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
So it sounds like im pretty safe as far as the water goes, and i did try to do what it says about wiping any water that gets on there off, but i do think that the MF towels i used made light swirls.

Any insight on how to fix the swirls? Can I just polish again and re-apply the ceramic coating?
Polishing would be the correct thing to do however if those are below the coating your are out of luck.

Doing paint correction before coating is crucial as you are basically sealing all imperfections under your coating.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #5
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Polishing would be the correct thing to do however if those are below the coating your are out of luck.

Doing paint correction before coating is crucial as you are basically sealing all imperfections under your coating.
I did compound and polish my car to perfection before coating application, but i dont know if i can polish the coating without just totally removing the coating?

If I polish out the swirls do I reapply ceramic coating? Or is my paint still protected? I guess I could just try and see if its still hydrophobic.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 06:47 AM   #6
Bobh59
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
I did compound and polish my car to perfection before coating application, but i dont know if i can polish the coating without just totally removing the coating?

If I polish out the swirls do I reapply ceramic coating? Or is my paint still protected? I guess I could just try and see if its still hydrophobic.
Carpro's Essence Plus is all you need.