E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wheel/tire storage

01-18-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Wheel/tire storage

I have multiple sets of wheels and tires for both of my vehicles that I switch out with the seasons/weather.
What is a better choice for tire storage so they don’t rot or dry out over the years when not in use?

I have a unheated garage
I have an unfinished basement that is conditioned, but would be near ozone emitting machines like my washer/dryer/furnace

I’d cover them in my garage so no UV light.
I’d put them in trash bags in my basement but wouldn’t be air tight.

Thoughts?
      01-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #2
ricx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e93

I took the factory wheels and tires off my suv then put on aftermarket wheels and tires. I hosed the tires down with silicon spray then covered them in plastic. I stored them in a metal shed away from sunlight. When I sold the suv I took after market wheels and tires off and put the factory wheels back on. They were in storage 7+ years. I was able to drive it to the dealership.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17306.00
      01-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

My OE sport tires lasted just 22,000 miles. That was in 2007. I switched jobs about the same time the OE tires wore out. I doubled my commute so I switched to a 18" square set up. I took the old wheels with the spent tires still mounted and stored them in the loft in my garage in 2007. Eight years later in 2015, I decided to switch back to the 17" OE wheels. The OE tires, while worn past the wear bars tread-wise, the tire carcass in general was still in great shape without any dry rot that I could see. The loft in my garage is unheated and a mostly dark place with no windows other than screened louver vents, so some light gets in. In fact, one of the rear tires had a patch/plug that repaired the tire with under 1,000 miles on it. All four tires still had over 25 PSI in them.

If you bag them and keep them away from ozone-generating sources (i.e. electric motors) I doubt they will dry rot before you get the useful tread life out of them.

Tire Rack sells a set of 4 tire bags for $50.

https://www.tirerack.com/accessories...y=tire+storage
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
ricx28.50