E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Turner Motorsports Delrin Rear Subframe Bushings Review

12-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Turner Motorsports Delrin Rear Subframe Bushings Review

Turner Motorsports Delrin Rear Subframe Bushings Review

Car: 2011 335i Xdrive, M-sport
Engine: N55, with JB4 on Map 5. ER Chargepipe, stock everything else.
Transmission: 6MT

Current Suspension
-Dinan Springs
-Dinan “Ride Control” kit
-Koni Yellow Shocks
-Stock alignment settings, -.42 camber in the front

Front:
-UUC Front Swaybar
-Poly front control arm bushings

Rear:
-BMW OE rear E90 Swaybar
-BMW OE rear E93 subframe brace
-Turner Motorsports Delrin Subframe Bushings

Overview: Had Whiteline rear subframe inserts installed for 3 years and came across a great deal on the Turner Motorsport Delrin rear subframe bushings. With the new app coming out to be able to turn off Xdrive, I wanted to tighten up the rear end a bit more. So just like any other car nut, I searched through this site, as well as others, reading reviews on all subframe bushings. Came to the conclusion that NVH wouldn’t be impacted much so figured what the heck, let’s do it!

Car Goals: Wanted to keep it as reliable as possible and mods OEM+. From the first time I test drove it, I knew it would need a lot of work to the suspension to firm it up but keep it pleasant for daily driving. Had a BMW Performance Exhaust for 3 years but even with the stock DP, I got sick of it. The sound was nice but cold starts got annoying and didn’t like the attention it attracted. Every time you step on it, everyone around knows that you are up to something.

Turner Bushings: I did the install myself and it took me about 6 hours. I dropped the subframe about 5” and that was plenty to get everything in. Make sure to have plenty of PB blaster and a good impact gun for pressing in the Delrin sleeves and Aluminum inserts. I made a pressing tool with a 7” long- 5/8” threaded rod, various 2 and 2 ½” washers, nuts, 3” wide steel plates, a 4” hole saw and a 3 ¼” hole saw.

Driving Review: Here’s the part everyone cares about! Does it turn the E90 into a rattling tin can? Does it make a difference? Is it worth it?

Noise/Vibration/Harshness
On the first test drive, I kept it slow in the neighborhood (30mph) to see what kind of NVH I could pick up on. Since it’s essentially winter in NH, the roads are getting pretty choppy and there are plenty of frost heaves (i.e. bumpy as hell). Suffice to say, I couldn’t tell a difference in ride comfort/quality. It felt identical to how it did before, with no buzzing, rattling, etc. The only slight difference is that when you hit a sharp bump while turning or accelerationg, the “impact” duration feels much shorter. Even with the subframe inserts, you felt a slight delay in side to side osscilation which took a little bit to recover from. That feeling is totally gone.

Next step was to take it on the highway (70-80mph) and see how it felt. Same deal, no increase in NVH. If anything the car just felt more planted during lane changes.

Lastly under full acceleration in 2nd gear, the car just goes where you point it. Even more so on rougher roads.

The best way I can describe this upgrade is that it makes the car feel more expensive/higher end. The rear of the car feels more composed, planted and predictable. I assume once I’m able to turn off Xdrive via the new app by the xHP guys, the benefits of the Delrin subframe bushings will be even more pronounced.

This upgrade is absolutely worth it and from an end user standpoint, I can find no downside. They are on sale now at $262/set and I would absolutely recommend them at this price point. Plus no maintenance!

Next step will be Turner Delrin Differential Bushings. Then possibly rear M3 arms and upgraded rear toe links. Eventually would like a rear LSD.

Last edited by carguy138; 03-01-2019 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
Thorin117.50
      12-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Nice review!

Glad to see someone go from:

Stock RSFB's > Poly Inserts > Solid Bushings

And to make a nice detailed review. Just goes to show you that BMW started mounting the RSF directly, solidly bolted to the unibody, after the M3 GTS, for a good reason. Basically all the effects are positive and the negatives are few.

Basically the long install of the solid bushings would be the main downside for most. Considering it's very time consuming and all Labor Time.

Anyone who has an E9x and hates the rear end feel should at least do the inserts and if possible just do the Solid Bushings and have it done.

Im very interested in seeing, how you like the Delrin Rear Differential Bushings. And how the NVH is affected by going with the stiffer bushings, mainly the Diff.

The Diff. Bushings, rubber suspension mounts, and rubber drive shaft bushings will be what determines the NVH increase. I would suggest anyone going to do these things, to consider how far they plan on going. For example, if you decide you want the drivetrain to be Stiff. Then maybe some suspension bushings shouldn't also be solid..

Thanks
Appreciate 1
carguy138144.00