E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Yellow brake light, cruise control doesn’t work

11-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Yellow brake light, cruise control doesn’t work

I’ve been driving this car like this for years now. But my dash has a yellow brake light and my cruise doesn’t work. It’s been so long i can’t rmemeber but i think this was related to a bad alignment i got from a shop which i then got fixed at BMW. I recall someone on here saying the steering angle sensor may need to be reset but i don’t know if the bmw dealer did that.

I’d love to know what the problem might be. I don’t have any codes related to any brake parts or stuff like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Most likely you have a bad wheel speed sensor. You should also have a yellow DSC light and ABS on as well. If the various control modules that use wheel speed data don't get a wheel speed signal, they will throw trouble codes and illuminate some of the icons in the gauge cluster. When you say you have "no codes related to brake parts or stuff like that", what scan tool did you scan the car with?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Most likely you have a bad wheel speed sensor. You should also have a yellow DSC light and ABS on as well. If the various control modules that use wheel speed data don't get a wheel speed signal, they will throw trouble codes and illuminate some of the icons in the gauge cluster. When you say you have "no codes related to brake parts or stuff like that", what scan tool did you scan the car with?
I have INPA & I just have the MHD scanner.

I don't have any other lights on the dash if that's what you mean. But I do recall in the past seeing stuff about "DSC limited", and possible ABS messages, but on my idrive screen upon start - it might even still be there and I may have just zoned it out over time.

Basically the two results of this that I'm aware of are #1 I get "cruise control malfunction" when I try to use it ... and I don't have the hill control. It's been this way for so long I've just learned to live with it but if I can fix it I might as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 04:40 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr710 View Post
I have INPA & I just have the MHD scanner.

I don't have any other lights on the dash if that's what you mean. But I do recall in the past seeing stuff about "DSC limited", and possible ABS messages, but on my idrive screen upon start - it might even still be there and I may have just zoned it out over time.

Basically the two results of this that I'm aware of are #1 I get "cruise control malfunction" when I try to use it ... and I don't have the hill control. It's been this way for so long I've just learned to live with it but if I can fix it I might as well.
Though I don't have either of those scan tools, I would think based on what I've read about with those tools, a wheel speed fault would surely show itself. I was thinking you scanned with OBD2, but now realize you have more intuition than mistaking OBD2 for code reading of a manufacturer fault codes.

Non functioning cruise has something to do with either throttle or brake control as a base problem.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

I will hook up inpa and double check codes.

I looked at my “system control messages” and all i have is “start off assistance inactive”.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

I just hooked up INPA .. the codes I have for the DSC are

5E19
5E34
D357

Then for CID (whatever that is) I have:
A468

On my DME i have codes for my post CAT Oxy Sensors.

I was looking up the above codes wasn't able to find anything specifically .. except for someone saying a "faulty" wheel sensor may cause the issue I have and not throw the full ABS/DSC warnings.
Appreciate 0