E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Coolant temp display. Rixster vent boost gauge, jb4?

12-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
Stugger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E92 Montego Blue

Coolant temp display. Rixster vent boost gauge, jb4?

Hey all. For reference I have a 2009 335i e92 automatic with iDrive and 47k Miles. Jb4, Helix Intercooler, vanguard cat-back exhaust, bms DCI and Rixster Vent Boost Gauge.

Last week while getting my belt, tensioner and pulleys replaced for preventative reasons, my mechanic discovered a crack in my radiator. So since then I’ve been extra annoyed with the fact that this car does not have a coolant temperature meter. I’ve heard there is a “hidden menu” built in which displays this, but I really don’t want to have to press a button a thousand times and add numbers together to get to a display that goes away on restart.

So my question to all of you, is there a way to display coolant temperatures through the Rixster Vent Boost Gauge? Does anyone have any experience with this gauge? I bought the car with it so I have absolutely no idea what any of the displays are aside from the boost pressure and I can’t seem to find any information on it as I believe it is the older 1-button version.

As far as I know, the Jb4 doesn’t offer this feature? Maybe I’m wrong. The JB4 would also be an older version. Not sure exactly which.

If neither of these display coolant temp, what would be the cheapest option to achieve this?

Upgrades needed until FBO: Downpipes, Chargepipe
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

How is that you didn't know of the cracked coolant radiator?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Bmw engineers in this case decided to provide us with an oil temp gauge instead of a coolant temp gauge because this information is more relevant to the n54. Engine oil takes a while to reach optimum temp, which is also higher on this platform typical. How would a water temp gauge have helped you regarding your cracked coolant? Your low coolant light would turn on before the coolant would overheat. And if it was going to overheat, there's a light for that too.
      12-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
Stugger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E92 Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
How is that you didn't know of the cracked coolant radiator?
It was cracked near the plastic flange that the lower hose connects to, barely any seepage to be noticeable but cracked none-the-less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Bmw engineers in this case decided to provide us with an oil temp gauge instead of a coolant temp gauge because this information is more relevant to the n54. Engine oil takes a while to reach optimum temp, which is also higher on this platform typical. How would a water temp gauge have helped you regarding your cracked coolant? Your low coolant light would turn on before the coolant would overheat. And if it was going to overheat, there's a light for that too.
I understand oil temps are more relevant on the 335i, but it’s not like water temp is irrelevant. It would have been cool if the “Vehicle Info” option on the iDrive displayed more fluid information other than just oil level. The coolant temp meter on my e46 saved me from overheating when my water pump began to take a crap, I’d rather visually see my coolant temp is slightly higher than normal prior to a random “hey you’re about to destroy your engine you’d better pull over immediately” alert. I know this wouldn’t have made a difference in my coolant level, it just got me thinking about the cooling in general and why I’m not able to see that my coolant temp is where it should be? Especially considering the high failure rate of these electric water pumps

The why is irrelevant though, I just want to know from anyone with experience with the Rixster Vent Boost Gauge or JB4 if I’m able to view this information?

Last edited by Stugger; 12-08-2018 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #5
SJM67
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335I Coupe

Garage List
1995 BMW 318I  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugger View Post
Hey all. For reference I have a 2009 335i e92 automatic with iDrive and 47k Miles. Jb4, Helix Intercooler, vanguard cat-back exhaust, bms DCI and Rixster Vent Boost Gauge.

Last week while getting my belt, tensioner and pulleys replaced for preventative reasons, my mechanic discovered a crack in my radiator. So since then I’ve been extra annoyed with the fact that this car does not have a coolant temperature meter. I’ve heard there is a “hidden menu” built in which displays this, but I really don’t want to have to press a button a thousand times and add numbers together to get to a display that goes away on restart.

So my question to all of you, is there a way to display coolant temperatures through the Rixster Vent Boost Gauge? Does anyone have any experience with this gauge? I bought the car with it so I have absolutely no idea what any of the displays are aside from the boost pressure and I can’t seem to find any information on it as I believe it is the older 1-button version.

As far as I know, the Jb4 doesn’t offer this feature? Maybe I’m wrong. The JB4 would also be an older version. Not sure exactly which.

If neither of these display coolant temp, what would be the cheapest option to achieve this?
I use torque app pro on my android to keep track of my coolant and other relevant info.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Jklad421.00
BSG33528.50
feuer4274.50
      12-23-2018, 12:09 AM   #6
BSG335
Driving in the slow lane
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM67 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugger View Post

I use torque app pro on my android to keep track of my coolant and other relevant info.
I use Torque Pro... and have for a while. I have it connected to my cheap bluetooth OBD reader that's always plugged into the car. App is turned on as soon as I get in the car.

There's options to run it as an overlay on top of anything else on your screen and to set alerts as well. Lots of customisations possible.
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50