E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > 4th time's the charm? e90 m3 front end conversion on e91 yet again LOL

01-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

4th time's the charm? e90 m3 front end conversion on e91 yet again LOL

WOW...

Yes, the title is correct. This is the 4th e90/e91 that this front end has been on, hopefully it stays on this one permanently lol...

First time it was on my e91 was this time:

Then I got the itch and sold my e91 and got a e90 sedan:

Swap completed:

Then someone rear ended my e90 sedan causing a total loss, I bought it back, salvaged the front end and parted out the rest:

Bought a tiag e90 330i as my next car:

Swapped the front end on to the new 330i and painted it alpine white:

Car got rear ended yet again (teenage girl texting while driving) and parted out front end for my new e91 and I'm back full circle lol:

And here she is now completed:

It is a 2007 RWD e91 in OEM Japanrot Red. Glad to be back in a e91. So practical, I really missed the rear fold down seats, the hatch, and all the cargo space I could ever need...
Appreciate 5
tetsuo1111227.00
Tim603482.50
      01-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

the OEM m3/e92 headlights are so sleek...I hate the e90 sedan headlights lol
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

The 4th home for the front clip is by far the best! I love red on e91s, especially pre-LCI. Add some blacklines, an M Sport rear, and some wider wheels/more offset and you'll be in business.

Is it a 6 speed from Minnesota by chance? I saw one pop up on Craiglist there a couple months ago.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

nice. you must be a pro with the necessary mods. Can you explain how you made the necessary mods to get everything bolted up. The fenders for an example. I have these parts and just need to fit it all. Need the headlights still.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersteuer View Post
The 4th home for the front clip is by far the best! I love red on e91s, especially pre-LCI. Add some blacklines, an M Sport rear, and some wider wheels/more offset and you'll be in business.

Is it a 6 speed from Minnesota by chance? I saw one pop up on Craiglist there a couple months ago.
Thanks!!! Yeah, I do agree that the OEM japanrot red is a very unique and popping color. You don't see japanrot red too often and even more rarer on my touring wagon, it makes it that much sportier!!!! And no, it wasn't a Minnesota car, it was a San Diego car that was listed on a weird website and not visible on the main car selling platforms, took a chance and went and the dealer didn't know what they had as I got a killer deal on it. The wheels are already wide, offset is et20 and they rubbed prior to fender adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
nice. you must be a pro with the necessary mods. Can you explain how you made the necessary mods to get everything bolted up. The fenders for an example. I have these parts and just need to fit it all. Need the headlights still.
Yeah, I've done this quite a few times, but this isn't the run of the mill conversion. It uses different parts than the bolt on OEM e90 m3 counterpart and here's why:

1.) I don't dig hood vents. Never liked it and I always thought it was cleaner without them and I never have to worry about water or dealing with the vent drain blockoff. It is a PRE LCI e92 Duke Dynamic powerdome hood. It was custom fitted to make it wider for the e90/e91 platform. It's bolt on, but you have to widen the sides a bit.

2.) The fender is a hybrid of OEM e90 m3 fenders and OEM e92 fenders. I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting all the various bits and pieces to make it fit and having to get the OEM m3 radiator support and everything else. Plus the front end/fenders aren't wider so I don't have to mess with the rear quarters to accommodate. (avoiding wider front and oem rear quarters). The rear section closest to the door line was used from the OEM m3 fenders including the fender vent and the rest was from a e92 oem fender plastic welded together. Bolts straight on utilizing existing mounting points including existing radiator support.

3.) e92 headlights. In my case I needed e92 headlight brackets and they bolt straight on, plug and play if you have factory xenons. If you have halogens it might take a bit of work repinning some wires, getting a new FRM, and coding.

4.) front bumper is e92 m3 replica front bumper. (not wider like OEM front bumper to accommodate the custom non widened fenders) Bolts on to existing radiator support and everything else like the e92 oem fender.

I like it. I don't have to mess with the rear because the front isn't wider like the full OEM bolt on (less headaches and less work in the future). I definitely love the hood as it is ventless, I think it's more subtle and makes it more sleek. It's also super light as the Duke Dynamic e92 hood is carbon fiber.

That's just my take. You don't have to like what I did, but I did it for those reasons. If you have all the OEM pieces and want a full OEM conversion go for it, but keep in mind that your front end will stick out wayyyyy wider so you'd be forced to do the rear quarters too which is quite extensive, costly, and time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I think the wheels need to be more aggressive to go with the M3 front end.
Appreciate 5
6ixSpd6011.50
whyzee1251662.00
      01-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
Thanks!!! Yeah, I do agree that the OEM japanrot red is a very unique and popping color. You don't see japanrot red too often and even more rarer on my touring wagon, it makes it that much sportier!!!! And no, it wasn't a Minnesota car, it was a San Diego car that was listed on a weird website and not visible on the main car selling platforms, took a chance and went and the dealer didn't know what they had as I got a killer deal on it. The wheels are already wide, offset is et20 and they rubbed prior to fender adjustments.

Yeah, I've done this quite a few times, but this isn't the run of the mill conversion. It uses different parts than the bolt on OEM e90 m3 counterpart and here's why:

1.) I don't dig hood vents. Never liked it and I always thought it was cleaner without them and I never have to worry about water or dealing with the vent drain blockoff. It is a PRE LCI e92 Duke Dynamic powerdome hood. It was custom fitted to make it wider for the e90/e91 platform. It's bolt on, but you have to widen the sides a bit.

2.) The fender is a hybrid of OEM e90 m3 fenders and OEM e92 fenders. I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting all the various bits and pieces to make it fit and having to get the OEM m3 radiator support and everything else. Plus the front end/fenders aren't wider so I don't have to mess with the rear quarters to accommodate. (avoiding wider front and oem rear quarters). The rear section closest to the door line was used from the OEM m3 fenders including the fender vent and the rest was from a e92 oem fender plastic welded together. Bolts straight on utilizing existing mounting points including existing radiator support.

3.) e92 headlights. In my case I needed e92 headlight brackets and they bolt straight on, plug and play if you have factory xenons. If you have halogens it might take a bit of work repinning some wires, getting a new FRM, and coding.

4.) front bumper is e92 m3 replica front bumper. (not wider like OEM front bumper to accommodate the custom non widened fenders) Bolts on to existing radiator support and everything else like the e92 oem fender.

I like it. I don't have to mess with the rear because the front isn't wider like the full OEM bolt on (less headaches and less work in the future). I definitely love the hood as it is ventless, I think it's more subtle and makes it more sleek. It's also super light as the Duke Dynamic e92 hood is carbon fiber.

That's just my take. You don't have to like what I did, but I did it for those reasons. If you have all the OEM pieces and want a full OEM conversion go for it, but keep in mind that your front end will stick out wayyyyy wider so you'd be forced to do the rear quarters too which is quite extensive, costly, and time consuming.

I'm not here to flame. I'm doing the conversion on a 328i so I know the heat people take for this. Kudos to you. Could never tell it wasn't oem. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not going to do the rears. I will weld the 328 rocker to the m3. I will roll and possibly widen the rears a tad but I've seen others do the front only. Doesn't look bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Looks awesome!! I think some wheels and an M sport rear would REALLY make it look sharp.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
Lukaslarsen1
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 bmw

Hey man

I REALLY REALLY want to do this on my 2005 e90 320i. But idk where to start. Can you simply buy the m3 fenders, hood, front and headlights and just put it straight on? Or this it require big and hard modifications that a "noob" wouldn't be able to accomplish?

Btw, this looks amazing! Really great job!

Thanks
Lukas
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #10
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

It sounds easier than it is as there are a LOT of small bits and pieces that are very expensive and it adds up fast.

I've done the conversion both ways:

1.) Non widebody as shown in this thread. e92 Duke Dynamic powerdome hood (or any e92 hood), a hybrid custom e90 m3 fenders and e92 fenders (two fenders mended into one fender so it isn't longer or wider), e92 replica m3 front bumper, e92 headlights, e92 headlight brackets, e92 kidney grills, e90 replica m3 bumper brake ducts, connectors for the side lights, coding, etc...

2.) OEM widebody. Very expensive. You'll need all of the bits and pieces such as the radiator support, fender brackets, headlight brackets, hood vents, fender liners (very expensive as each fender well is like 4 pieces), the m3 underbody tray splash shield, e9x m3 front bumper, e9x m3 OEM brake ducts with all brackets, e90 m3 fenders, e90 m3 hood, e92 headlights, e90 m3 side skirts because the fenders are wider, a LOT of random brackets for the fender/headlights, etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #11
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 / F31 / E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
It sounds easier than it is as there are a LOT of small bits and pieces that are very expensive and it adds up fast.

I've done the conversion both ways:

1.) Non widebody as shown in this thread. e92 Duke Dynamic powerdome hood (or any e92 hood), a hybrid custom e90 m3 fenders and e92 fenders (two fenders mended into one fender so it isn't longer or wider), e92 replica m3 front bumper, e92 headlights, e92 headlight brackets, e92 kidney grills, e90 replica m3 bumper brake ducts, connectors for the side lights, coding, etc...

2.) OEM widebody. Very expensive. You'll need all of the bits and pieces such as the radiator support, fender brackets, headlight brackets, hood vents, fender liners (very expensive as each fender well is like 4 pieces), the m3 underbody tray splash shield, e9x m3 front bumper, e9x m3 OEM brake ducts with all brackets, e90 m3 fenders, e90 m3 hood, e92 headlights, e90 m3 side skirts because the fenders are wider, a LOT of random brackets for the fender/headlights, etc...
You didn't even mention about parts/coding to make the E92 headlights to work properly If not, they're just housings for an HID kit lol.
      03-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #12
Lou_cfr
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 BMW 335i

Hate to revive an old thread but I was interested in doing this conversion and I thought it was a lot harder due to thinking the m3 radiator support was needed and all that complicated stuff. I have an almost complete e92 front end (m3 style hood and front bumper and headlights) but I was not sure about the fenders. OP, how did you go about merging both fenders together?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 05:37 AM   #13
fmendoza647
Rep
Drives: Bmw e91

If I have oem m3 hood and oem m3 fender, do I NEED the radiator support or are there any loop holes around it ?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 12:53 AM   #14
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 / F31 / E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmendoza647 View Post
If I have oem m3 hood and oem m3 fender, do I NEED the radiator support or are there any loop holes around it ?
Necessary if you want to do an OEM conversion.