E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335is exhaust questiond

10-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #45
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
It will add some aggressiveness to the sound. You will also be taking some back pressure off if your turbos. You'll probably add 5-10hp by removing the secondary cats.

If you have PE exhaust or the 335is mufflers with the golf tee mod, like I said, it eliminates rasp & drone.

If you have catless down pipes, they will help refine the sound.

X-pipe vs stock H-pipe

https://www.bumberas.com/blog/2018/6...h-pipe-exhaust

2.5" SS X-pipe will make a difference in sound.
Hmm okay.

I actually quite like the sound atm with the small rasp.

So removing my cats wouldn't be the way I should go?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #46
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Notice the SS pipe attached to the resonator. Because of how the pipes are configured to the secondary cats & me wanting them to be aligned perfectly. No vibrant resonators = ridiculously loud rasp & drone
Is the job usually done with exhaust on the car or you have to remove it? Because they have to weld all around right?
They can do it with the exhaust in the car. The mechanic uses a mirror to weld on top of the pipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #47
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Meh gotta gap them. More work.

My OE plugs right now I'm running perfectly fine.

The forum seems to recommend them for FBO + which I suppose would be with a intercooler.
FBO Full Bolt On

Or Intake, Downpipes, Intercooler, and cat back exhaust. (with a tune).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:41 AM   #48
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I have catless downpipes, vibrant 1792 resonators in place of secondary cats, magnaflow 2.5 inch xpipe replacing the factory xpipe and 335is mufflers with golf tee mod. Sounds clean and hard af with MHD aggressive burbles. It scares people on the sidewalk loud lol
heyRoKitty,

i am about to purchase the Cobb catted DP, and 2 of these vibrant 1792 resonators to swap out the secondary cats, but i can't seem to find the magnaflow 2.5" X pipe, is this a generic item that fits multiple setups? do you have a link to said X pipes by chance?

reason i want to do the Cobb catted DP is so the DP appears stock, and would hopefully pass an emissions test if and when i hopefully import this car into Japan in a couple years. would the Vibrant 1792 resonators be a problem for inspection purposes you think? what about the MF X pipe? car is a '11 335is BTW, thanks homie!
It's a generic item that can be found on Amazon. Search for 2.5 inch Magnaflow Xpipe.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:44 AM   #49
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It will add some aggressiveness to the sound. You will also be taking some back pressure off if your turbos. You'll probably add 5-10hp by removing the secondary cats.

If you have PE exhaust or the 335is mufflers with the golf tee mod, like I said, it eliminates rasp & drone.

If you have catless down pipes, they will help refine the sound.

X-pipe vs stock H-pipe

https://www.bumberas.com/blog/2018/6...h-pipe-exhaust

2.5" SS X-pipe will make a difference in sound.
Hmm okay.

I actually quite like the sound atm with the small rasp.

So removing my cats wouldn't be the way I should go?
Removing secondaries will add a bit of definition as you enter the 5-7k RPM range. It kills the rasp.

The easy way to explain it would be you can hear the difference between shifting at 5, 6, and 7k. Before, the rasp would mute any tone so you couldn't really tell the difference at the higher rpms. Worthwhile mod in my opinion.

Totally changes the dynamic. Something was missing in the sound with the secondaries still on and the vibrant resonators fixed that issue.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #50
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Removing secondaries will add a bit of definition as you enter the 5-7k RPM range. It kills the rasp.

The easy way to explain it would be you can hear the difference between shifting at 5, 6, and 7k. Before, the rasp would mute any tone so you couldn't really tell the difference at the higher rpms. Worthwhile mod in my opinion.

Totally changes the dynamic. Something was missing in the sound with the secondaries still on and the vibrant resonators fixed that issue.
I see what you mean. At 5500 RPM all I hear is the rasp, which isn't bad in itself tho.

But in terms of actual Db increase, will it make the whole system louder?

You said your pops were louder right?

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 10-17-2018 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #51
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I see what you mean. At 5500 RPM all I hear is the rasp, which isn't bad in itself tho.

Pops were noticeably louder and just overall, the system is louder compared to just having downpipes.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #52
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

One thing to keep in mind is that the rasp sound is terrible. It was so high pitched for me that it sounded like I had no exhaust note from 5-7k. With the resonators, you now have some progression and linearity with the sound as you enter the high rpm range.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #53
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that the rasp sound is terrible. It was so high pitched for me that it sounded like I had no exhaust note from 5-7k. With the resonators, you now have some progression and linearity with the sound as you enter the high rpm range.
Ok.

I'll consider it... it's probably going to cost me another 400-500 tho around here lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #54
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey I'm probably going to add resonators after Christmas. And reading the thread again I think I'll add in the X pipe... for the X pipe I found this: https://www.amazon.ca/Magnaflow-1079...agnaflow+Xpipe .

I'm either doing second cat delete with resonators + X pipe or get a VRSF cat back. I think the first option would be optimal correct since IS already has a sporty muffler?

Can't wait to hear it. Do you have any videos of your sounds by chance?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #55
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Quote:
Hey I'm probably going to add resonators after Christmas. And reading the thread again I think I'll add in the X pipe... for the X pipe I found this: https://www.amazon.ca/Magnaflow-1079...agnaflow+Xpipe .

I'm either doing second cat delete with resonators + X pipe or get a VRSF cat back. I think the first option would be optimal correct since IS already has a sporty muffler?

Can't wait to hear it. Do you have any videos of your sounds by chance?
E92s have an x-pipe stock, sounds like you just want to replace the secondary cats with the 1792. This is what I'll be doing eventually, I'm still trying to solve my rasp issue myself.
      12-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #56
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
E92s have an x-pipe stock, sounds like you just want to replace the secondary cats with the 1792. This is what I'll be doing eventually, I'm still trying to solve my rasp issue myself.
I know but kitty also has a 335is coupe and I think the X pipe we're changing is bigger?

I just want more aggressiveness .
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #57
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
I know but kitty also has a 335is coupe and I think the X pipe we're changing is bigger?

I just want more aggressiveness .
The x pipe in the coupe is more of an H pipe.

H pipe will give you deeper sound.

X pipe will give you more HP.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #58
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The x pipe in the coupe is more of an H pipe.

H pipe will give you deeper sound.

X pipe will give you more HP.
I'm getting a welding machine and I'll do the job myself as it costs as much as getting it done somewhere.

I'll start with the resonators and we will see how it sounds.

I might take a peak and compare inside my muffler box with OEM exhaust mod see how it looks inside and might make them straight pipe in there (if they are not already).
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #59
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Notice the SS pipe attached to the resonator. Because of how the pipes are configured to the secondary cats & me wanting them to be aligned perfectly. No vibrant resonators = ridiculously loud rasp & drone
Ok I got the resonators today. Bought my welding machine and a grinder. Will do the job in january.

New exhaust tips and second cat delete.

I was wondering do you have the OE exhaust mod? I was considering removing all perforations but I think it might be loud.

Would like to remove perforation only on one side of the exhaust and have the valve controlled by me (so less loud mornings starts) but I read that's not good.

You 3 feet of SS pipe only has to be straight, not a curved one? In the picture it seems like the gap of a straight one would be to wide for welding?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #60
MNick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

TheMidnightNarwhal
There isn't an up side from performance standpoint to modifying your muffler... I removed the secondary cats and the exhaust was extremely loud. Cold starts with the flap closed didn't help. I imagine that will be similar to your setup as the 1792's don't muffle much, but will certain help with the rasp.

Wagner EVO II C | Akarpovic SS Evolution Exhaust | Cp-e DPs | Koni | CV5F Forgestar et 32/38 on 255/35/19 & 275/35/19 | DW400 | Swift spec R | N20 sensor | PB Valve Cover | GCL | M3 control arms | JE forged piston kit | Carillo forged rods | Ported Head | F80 DMFW
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #61
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNick View Post
TheMidnightNarwhal
There isn't an up side from performance standpoint to modifying your muffler... I removed the secondary cats and the exhaust was extremely loud. Cold starts with the flap closed didn't help. I imagine that will be similar to your setup as the 1792's don't muffle much, but will certain help with the rasp.
Yeah I spoke with my friend they say it's loud I guess I don't hear it properly from inside.

With the rasp removed I think I will be satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 03:37 AM   #62
ThickRhinoceros
Rep
Drives: Black 335i E90 2009

Quote:
I have catless downpipes, vibrant 1792 resonators in place of secondary cats, magnaflow 2.5 inch xpipe replacing the factory xpipe and 335is mufflers with golf tee mod. Sounds clean and hard af with MHD aggressive burbles. It scares people on the sidewalk loud lol
Can you make a video of this without the burbles while the car is warm?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #63
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickRhinoceros View Post
Quote:
Can you make a video of this without the burbles while the car is warm?
I would be interested in a vid. I am thinking about catless downpipes. I have the exact same set up you have except that I have the OEM cats.
Appreciate 0