E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Finally got INPA running. Anyone got a full list of features/capabilities?

07-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #1
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Finally got INPA running. Anyone got a full list of features/capabilities?

I was finally able to get the FTDI drivers installed and used Mike's Easy BMW tools to install INPA and all the other goodies (NCSDummy, NCSExpert, BMW coding tool, WINKFP, Tool32).

So far I've only used INPA to read my error codes and cleared them all. I know INPA is much more powerful than that since it is a (former) dealer level diagnostic software.

Can anyone give me a rundown of all the features/capabilities of INPA? Specifically to our E9X models. What are some things INPA can't do besides coding and module firmware updates?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 12:05 AM   #2
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
I was finally able to get the FTDI drivers installed and used Mike's Easy BMW tools to install INPA and all the other goodies (NCSDummy, NCSExpert, BMW coding tool, WINKFP, Tool32).

So far I've only used INPA to read my error codes and cleared them all. I know INPA is much more powerful than that since it is a (former) dealer level diagnostic software.

Can anyone give me a rundown of all the features/capabilities of INPA? Specifically to our E9X models. What are some things INPA can't do besides coding and module firmware updates?
It is used for diagnostic information at the factory. Anything you want to know about any senor or module you can use Inpa for.

Once you get the hang of Inpa and ncsexpert you will see how insane people are when they pay for coding or even Carly for that matter. I can code anything in my car in 5 minutes. I use a 13 year old laptop and a $15 cable.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 12:37 AM   #3
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
It is used for diagnostic information at the factory. Anything you want to know about any senor or module you can use Inpa for.

Once you get the hang of Inpa and ncsexpert you will see how insane people are when they pay for coding or even Carly for that matter. I can code anything in my car in 5 minutes. I use a 13 year old laptop and a $15 cable.
Is it possible to code Angel Eyes as DRL in FRM3? I contacted this guy on craigslist that does BMW coding and he said it can't be done on FRM3 because it can be bricked. I really want Angel Eyes as DRL, increase Angel Eye brightness, and mirror fold on lock/unfold on unlocking.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 12:48 AM   #4
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Is it possible to code Angel Eyes as DRL in FRM3? I contacted this guy on craigslist that does BMW coding and he said it can't be done on FRM3 because it can be bricked. I really want Angel Eyes as DRL, increase Angel Eye brightness, and mirror fold on lock/unfold on unlocking.
I know it is possible on the FRM2 module. I want to upgrade my FRM1 to FRM2 some day but I am not sure if you can downgrade.

Mirror fold and unlock should not be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
HiRev335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i sport pkg

I am learning right now on how to calibrate my steering angle sensor using inpa it is a powerful tool indeed. My version being the latest is In German which is a pain to translate.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Has anyone made a good guide on how to setup and use inpa?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Plenty of guides and youtube videos on how to install INPA, haven't seen too many guides teaching how to actually use INPA.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
...So far I've only used INPA to read my error codes and cleared them all...Can anyone give me a rundown of all the features/capabilities of INPA? Specifically to our E9X models.
Quote:
Quote:
...haven't seen too many guides teaching how to actually use INPA.
I'm "Old-school" in that I began using computer programs by first getting an over-view of ALL the functions of which the program was capable, determining which ones I wanted to learn how to use, and then trying to understand those chosen functions in detail -- how to best use them to do what I needed or might need in the future.

I have NOT seen any reference to any such existing Outline or Summary of INPA functions, so I have simply begun creating my own, categorized by Module (DME, CAS, JBE, etc.) along with "Functional Jobs."

The basic diagnostic tools in INPA for E9x models:
1) Functional Jobs: (a) see ID of ALL modules in vehicle; (b) read any Fault Codes saved in ANY of those modules, all in 2 minutes from connecting to OBD II Socket.
2) Connect to each individual Module (DME, JBE, EKP, CAS, IHKA, etc.) to: (a) get more specific info on any fault codes saved there, (b) to see Memory History, (c) read Freeze Frame or Infospeicher Data, (d) Clear Codes, (e) "Read Status" (Status Lesen) of real-time function of components such as fuel pump, coolant pump, IHKA flap positions, Radiator Fan, switch positions, temperatures, voltages, sensor inputs to the module, etc. (f) Activations (Steuern) which allow you to test operation of motors, injectors, etc. by keyboard entries rather than having to patch into a circuit.

For example, you can run radiator fan, coolant pump, fuel pump at various speeds and monitor temperatures or pressures associated with that component at the same time, such as monitoring (i) Engine Coolant Temp Sensor signal (coolant temp at top radiator), (ii) Radiator Outlet Temp Sensor signal (lower temp of coolant at bottom radiator hose) while you (iii) manually control Radiator Fan Speed, and you see all three on a screen with three bar graphs.

INPA is a diagnostic tool for monitoring/assessing function of components, in addition to simply reading Fault Codes, their definitions, and the conditions under which those codes were set (as well as mileage at the time). What INPA does NOT do is give you precise engineering data on the algorithms used by a module to set a particular code. It DOES tell you whether the code is currently present, and whether it would light the SES or other warning light.

I haven't seen ANY guides that List all the things you can do with INPA on an E9x, so I'm making my own, but it takes a LOT of time. My approach is to do a ScreenPrint (Shft+PrtSc) and then paste it to "Paint" and SaveAs jpg in a folder for the particular Module connected to, or "Functional Jobs" which is really the starting point. Then I am using an online translator to try to get a "technically-correct" English translation of the German, and entering the English in a Word outline that summarizes the functional capability of each screen.

When diagnosing faults in a system, it is also helpful to keep an electronic record of the faults and screen prints of any analog readouts related to the system, or even just baseline analog readouts saved when the system was operating properly, so I use the same jpg files saved in folders by Module for future reference (history of this particular vehicle). You CAN of course Print/Druck (F9) any screen, but I prefer to go paperless. If anyone has developed a way to Print to file or save a screen without having to paste to a program such as "Paint," please advise.

The starting point would be "Functional Jobs" in which you can get a readout (in ~ 1 minute after connecting to the OBD II Socket) of ANY Fault Codes saved in ANY of the ~20+ modules of your particular vehicle. You simply select "Functional Jobs" in the Right-hand List Box and from the Main Menu (HauptMenu) select F4 (Error Memory or FehlerSpeicher) and then F1 (Read Error Memory/FehlerSpeicher Lesen).

If anyone reading this has a link or cite to ANY existing summary or outline of INPA functions, please advise.

If anyone reading this would like to share in developing such an outline, in pdf format for example, and has time to contribute, a group of interested Forum members could probably create something before our cars become obsolete.

George
Appreciate 4
      07-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

NCS Dummy comes with an excellent, excellent PDF companion manual that was written by the developer.

Reading it taught me a lot about the coding process, whether I'm using NCS Expert only or a combination of the two apps.

As for INPA, I'm also interested if anyone stumbles across a good manual!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Same here regarding the need for an INPA manual, tutorial, or something. Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #11
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
NCS Dummy comes with an excellent, excellent PDF companion manual that was written by the developer.

Reading it taught me a lot about the coding process, whether I'm using NCS Expert only or a combination of the two apps.

As for INPA, I'm also interested if anyone stumbles across a good manual!
Where is this NCSDummy PDF guide....drop a link please?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #12
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
I've never seen a INPA "guide" per se. You'll learn from playing around with it and reading up as much as you can. The smartest thing to do would be to download and install ISTA D which is the latest version of diagnostic software. It's in English and much more powerful and complete. It's really worth the time and effort to do. I've been using the various BMW coding and diagnostic software for a few years now and it's the most user friendly by far. You can't code or program with D but ISTA P will flash and program.

The Coding Tool makes it about as simple as it gets for simple aktiv/nicht aktiv type coding, NCS Dummy translates a lot of the parameters and has the ability to modify daten and create your own custom parameters.
      07-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #13
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

ISTA D Download Site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
...The smartest thing to do would be to download and install ISTA D which is the latest version of diagnostic software...
Can you please provide a current link/cite to a Website for downloading ISTA D?

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #14
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Can you please provide a current link/cite to a Website for downloading ISTA D?

Thanks,
George
Sure thing.

https://mega.nz/#!a1wUmYCD!G0C3_Hsg9...o9uQ4EpxjI8oZs
      07-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #15
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can the current K+DCAN cables be used with ISTA D?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #16
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Can the current K+DCAN cables be used with ISTA D?
Yes. You need ICOM for ISTA/P and I'd recommend it for any flashing/programming on the MOST ring.
      07-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #17
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Just completed my first coding job with NCSexpert! I turned on my angel eyes as DRL instead of the high beams.

As I learn more about NCSexpert, I plan on coding the mirror folding on lock/unlock, increasing the voltage to the angel eyes so they can be (better) seen in daylight, and other cool shit.

Also, I found out that my 2011 328i has FRM3. Coding wise it's the same steps as coding for FRM2
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #18
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Does ISTA D but heads with INPA on the same machine?
      07-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #19
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Quote:
Does ISTA D but heads with INPA on the same machine?
Not at all. I have them both installed on a couple different laptops and there's no conflicts.
      07-23-2018, 09:07 PM   #20
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not at all. I have them both installed on a couple different laptops and there's no conflicts.
Thanks.
      07-24-2018, 06:08 AM   #21
S.H
Rep
Drives: e93 325i-n53, f04 750i/ah7-n63

Garage List
bimmerprofs dot com has an excellent and in depth inpa guide. it is mainly for the n53 / n43 engine, but really good to understand basics of inpa.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #22
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

I haven't installed or used ISTA D but have been done a little coding with NCSExpert and used INPA for diagnostics.

For only diagnostics and to read & clear codes, would ISTA be a more user friendly option?