E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit

06-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #837
lesliew
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328i Sports+Premium

Guys, guys

I'm not trying to upset the applecart I thought my original question was very straightforward.

I've read through the entire thread multiple times since the beginning of the year and back over sections when I have been researching things that I need to do. Quite often as in this case people tried lots of different things, and suggested different tools more often that not they didn't lead to a solution.

I searched this thread for an answer to my question and didn't find the answer to 'what worked' so I asked. The question was which tool/cable was used to load the FSC. No different to the question I saw many people ask of fluffyb when he was involved in the conversation, yet that didn't result in a go find it yourself response, just because you dared to ask.

I'm far from trying to be a leech I've been on the forum for only a short time but I believe I have contributed fairly across several threads when I have been able to make an input.

I've completed a few retrofits so know how to research and know that asking and helping others is part and parcel of spreading the knowledge.

If the link in post 729 is the only known method that is currently available then fine, I just needed clarification, I have already contacted that forum member and we have already exchanged a few emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
If it was a secret I should not have a working swap, isn't it?

Spoon feeding is not my thing, dude. I post what I know as a guide to those interested to do similar retrofits/mods, and plenty of members -not only me- have posted more than enough of information and findings to accomplish this when 6 months ago there were no information or findings at all. And anybody that has done retrofits, any retrofits, know that it takes a lot of research and walking the talk, and that cost time and money; free never is. Links and photos go only so far.

It seems to me that you do not want to do any research or reading at all, just point and click...

Last edited by lesliew; 06-04-2010 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #838
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Technic,

After you did your CIC and coding, do you still have the steering wheel diamond button settings in the Idrive to select its desired function, say next source or mute etc..?
If so how do you access that menu?
I'm still using the old controller.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #839
MEN@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW G11

Quote:
Item #23: 51169155970
Item #24: 51169155987

+1 !!!!!

For E60

p/n

Last edited by MEN@BimmerTech; 06-04-2010 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #840
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

@ MEN, did you do the E60 retrofit? Got any pics of your install?

I just came from my local dealer and they were not able to find the USA p/n. Gotta order from Europe.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #841
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliew View Post
Guys, guys

I'm not trying to upset the applecart I thought my original question was very straightforward.

I've read through the entire thread multiple times since the beginning of the year and back over sections when I have been researching things that I need to do. Quite often as in this case people tried lots of different things, and suggested different tools more often that not they didn't lead to a solution.

I searched this thread for an answer to my question and didn't find the answer to 'what worked' so I asked. The question was which tool/cable was used to load the FSC. No different to the question I saw many people ask of fluffyb when he was involved in the conversation, yet that didn't result in a go find it yourself response, just because you dared to ask.

I'm far from trying to be a leech I've been on the forum for only a short time but I believe I have contributed fairly across several threads when I have been able to make an input.

I've completed a few retrofits so know how to research and know that asking and helping others is part and parcel of spreading the knowledge.

If the link in post 729 is the only known method that is currently available then fine, I just needed clarification, I have already contacted that forum member and we have already exchanged a few emails.

OK - now you're asking direct questions which is a lot better. You will need a DCAN cable which you can get off ebay. Search "BMW DCAN" and you should be able to find what you need.

Patrys, on this board, offers the remote retrofit.

Beyond that, all the info is in this thread....good luck!
      06-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #842
lesliew
Private
Rep

The video and USB cable for my CIC arrived a couple of hours ago so I plugged everything together and just took some picks of the menus. Nothing particularly special apart from the fact that all functions are enabled.

From what I have seen so far, this CIC was coded perfectly for my car. 6FL is working, Logic 7 works, Navigation & Voice control are currently working, I did a quick recording of the voice control with my iphone. I didn't even have to pair the iphone, all of my contacts were immediately available. Photo's are taken outside with an iphone so the contrast isn't too good.

Haven't tried any interactive/online stuff yet, have time for that later.

Yes I HAVE READ that quite often the navigation greys out after a few attempts but at the moment everything is working.

06-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #843
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
The video and USB cable for my CIC arrived a couple of hours ago so I plugged everything together and just took some picks of the menus. Nothing particularly special apart from the fact that all functions are enabled.

From what I have seen so far, this CIC was coded perfectly for my car. 6FL is working, Logic 7 works, Navigation & Voice control are currently working, I did a quick recording of the voice control with my iphone. I didn't even have to pair the iphone, all of my contacts were immediately available. Photo's are taken outside with an iphone so the contrast isn't too good.

Haven't tried any interactive/online stuff yet, have time for that later.

Yes I HAVE READ that quite often the navigation greys out after a few attempts but at the moment everything is working.

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #844
lesliew
Private
Rep

Has anyone tried a CIC->Sirius antenna retrofit yet. I have only read of instances were people have had a dealer hookup. Does anyone know what the Sirius antenna actually connects up to.

Obviously there are no available ports on the back of the CIC and 2010 cars fitted with sirius at the factory have no pre-install cabling running to the trunk. so I kind of think the hookup will be via the diversity antenna but don't have access to a newer WDS that shows it.

Last edited by lesliew; 06-09-2010 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #845
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Technic,

After you did your CIC and coding, do you still have the steering wheel diamond button settings in the Idrive to select its desired function, say next source or mute etc..?
If so how do you access that menu?
I'm still using the old controller.
It looks like the CIC eliminated the programmable button as I cannot find it as well in the menu. It retained the last program of my CCC (Source), though.

I'm looking into it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #846
lesliew
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
OK - now you're asking direct questions which is a lot better. You will need a DCAN cable which you can get off ebay. Search "BMW DCAN" and you should be able to find what you need.

Patrys, on this board, offers the remote retrofit.

Beyond that, all the info is in this thread....good luck!
Thanks

Some might say it was posted as a roundabout question but since I hadn't seen a direct answer to how the FSC was loaded I still think it was posed appropriately.

I have a passthru +xs cable so when I saw the bit about programming the CIC over the internet my initial thought was that it was done online by linking directly to bmw via www.bmwtechinfo.com and hence my need for clarification.

Last edited by lesliew; 06-04-2010 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #847
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks

Some might say it was posted as a roundabout question but since I hadn't seen a direct answer to how the FSC was loaded I still think it was posed appropriately.

I have a passthru +xs cable so when I saw the bit about programming the CIC over the internet my initial thought was that it was done online by linking directly to bmw via www.bmwtechinfo.com and hence my need for clarification.
Sounds good. I'm really surprised that the navi is working - I assume you bought this CIC used? From where?

Good looks!
      06-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #848
Steveo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It looks like the CIC eliminated the programmable button as I cannot find it as well in the menu. It retained the last program of my CCC (Source), though.

I'm looking into it.
Thanks,

It looks like with the new CIC this function wasnt available but worked with the old CCC after speaking to the Oracle
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #849
Steveo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How do you navigate dvd menu's to select a play icon on the dvd menu and press play,
I've tried my old Idrive controller with a new CIC Idrive and i cannot navigate the dvd menu at all
Now sorted after the CIC and NAV coding was complete
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #850
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #851
lesliew
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good. I'm really surprised that the navi is working - I assume you bought this CIC used? From where?

Good looks!
I do expect it to stop working but so far so good.

Yes I got it used, out of a 09/09 E92 335i, got the controller CID and CIC out of the same car from ebay.

Last edited by lesliew; 06-05-2010 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #852
lesliew
Private
Rep

This maybe of interest

This circuit board is a similar concept to that described by nik49 back in post 740. It interrupts the CAN bus and makes the navigation option available.

http://www.codecard.lt/dash/bmw-cic-.../prod_432.html
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW CIC connection manual.pdf (888.3 KB, 3201 views)

Last edited by lesliew; 06-05-2010 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #853
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This maybe of interest

This circuit board is a similar concept to that described by nik49 back in post 740. It interrupts the CAN bus and makes the navigation option available.

http://www.codecard.lt/dash/bmw-cic-.../prod_432.html
Good find! Looks interesting. I see the two CAN transceivers on there (black boxes on the left) - so I'm sure you're right - it's probably just modifying the VIN CAN packets to make the CIC happy. Although I wonder what the implications are of this - for things like Assist maybe? Although I think emergency calls identify the vehicle by the VIN stored in the TCU itself - hopefully.
      06-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #854
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are using the old idrive controller with the CIC? Hmm, didn't realize that worked - cool.

What exactly did you code to make that work?
      06-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #855
Steveo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You are using the old idrive controller with the CIC? Hmm, didn't realize that worked - cool.

As far as i'm aware nothing, but Patryk can chime in as he was the man who made it all possible for me fantastic

Just got to get the latest nav map and then voice control coded
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #856
lesliew
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerritg View Post
Hi,

What is FSC?
FYI

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B090409g.htm
Attached Images
File Type: pdf B090409SWT_Info.pdf (334.2 KB, 4217 views)
File Type: pdf B090409Attachment.pdf (381.2 KB, 561 views)
      06-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #857
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

Quote:

My CIC recognized the old idrive controller without coding it. It did not recognize the new controller. I decided to keep the old idrive controller because i would had to do some cutting.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #858
lesliew
Private
Rep

Quote:
Good find! Looks interesting. I see the two CAN transceivers on there (black boxes on the left) - so I'm sure you're right - it's probably just modifying the VIN CAN packets to make the CIC happy. Although I wonder what the implications are of this - for things like Assist maybe? Although I think emergency calls identify the vehicle by the VIN stored in the TCU itself - hopefully.
Assist is definitely bound to the TCU not the headunit.

Big advantage to this circuit is that it would also retain voice control; if voice control was already activated in the CIC since you're not doing any recoding.

I sent the US distributor of their products an email to check on availability, chances are they don't even know about it yet. Potentially would be a good group buy opportunity to get some units over here.

I wouldn't be surprised though if it was vaporware.

Last edited by lesliew; 06-06-2010 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0