E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dyno Day - Pt 2

12-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #67
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325dM Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
Dag, the 335d are all autos, so you have to allow closer to 20% loss for the torque converter.

There`s def. more in the engine, DMS told me when they were doing mine that 360+ would be possible but the first thing to fail would be the fuel pump.
The guy who held the dynoday calculated 15% for autos, and 12,7% for manuals. 20% would be more AWD wouldnt it?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #68
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Modern autos are a lot more efficient I guess but I don`t think they`re that close to manuals. I would`ve said 4WD would be closer to 25% loss.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #69
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Hence me being able to live with higher powered evos etc whilst ''on the run''!

From a standing start they would make mincemeat of me.
      12-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #70
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
As far as I can see the map on the CA site is IDENTICAL to the ones the lads have produced.

Match the rev range to the curve and it's SPOT on.

Peak numbers might be different, but that's a case of tight engines as the lads have said.

As far as I can see the map looks identical ?

SJ
      12-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #71
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

I agree when you allow for the different rpm scale.

As you say, peak hp off due to the age of the cars probably, but otherwise similar.

Shame that no-one else can be arsed to have a look ....
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #72
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
lol bloody keyboard dyno-ers eh !

tut tut..

Scoot if you're interested in getting a comparison I'd recommend trying to use the same Dyno as the lads - wouldn't be truly representative otherwise

MotorworX in Marlow.

SJ
      12-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #73
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

The CA one is indeed very similar and shows the same fault - at high RPM the toque drops below unmapped levels - which is hard to fathom, if they could sort out the map to hold the torque a little longer everything would be rosey. Makes me wonder if they aren't hitting some kind of fuelling limit - it's not quite what you would expect from a remap of a turbo.

That said I wouldn't be disappointed to get a graph like those - the real world increase in torque at lower RPMs is going to be very noticeable and used a lot more often than the last 500rpm. I'd do it if I had a 335d (which probably will be my next car )
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #74
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Why would it be any different to the CA one, they`re both the same maps ?

Nicks engine was also very new and hence tight. The only difference I can read into it is that Nick`s original post spoke about converted figures using a 22% loss for the auto tranny, hence the converted figure was higher.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #75
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
There seems to be alot of reference and importance placed on BHP. However, surely the fact that the 335d's are all auto's does make it much more difficult to accurately dyno these cars.

My understanding was that BHP is related to rpm, for example, Japanese motorbikes & F1 cars produce phenomianl BHP brought about by having short stroke, high revving petrol engines. Diesel engines have longer stroke, lower revving engines which produces high torque. The re-map done to my car by the same person who did Ian's & Tony's, has IMO exploited the available torque and capabilities of this diesel engine. The significant and noticeable increase in the torque now produced is ideal for use on the road and real world driving. Over-taking in this car was executed with relative ease pre re-map, now it is effortless TBH. Just where you need it surely.

I have noticed that in manual mode the car does not rev. out quite as high as before the re-map ie. the car is changing up a gear of its own violation at about 4500/4700 rpm. I am assuming this is related to the sensors in the auto box picking up the increase in torque and compensating accordingly? This has in no way diminished the way the car hits ridiculous speeds in a short space of time, as you simply catch the power curve coming back and continue to acclerate using the available torque.

I appreciate that I have not had my car on a dyno before or since the re-map, but ultimately I am more than pleased with the results and have noticed a slight gain in mpg. Important to remember though, that if you 'give it some' the mpg will be slightly worse than pre re-map mpg returns. For me the way the engine now delivers its power is ideally suited for real world driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #76
SiBurt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F20 M135i AT, MPE, MPLSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Hence me being able to live with higher powered evos etc whilst ''on the run''!

From a standing start they would make mincemeat of me.
You really are an accident waiting to happen mate!

I just pray to God that my 18 year old daughter never comes across the likes of you travelling towards her on the wrong side of the road when you're out 'on the run'!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #77
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Beemerbird, how does the car shift up on its own, when its in manual mode ?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #78
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
There seems to be alot of reference and importance placed on BHP. However, surely the fact that the 335d's are all auto's does make it much more difficult to accurately dyno these cars.

My understanding was that BHP is related to rpm, for example, Japanese motorbikes & F1 cars produce phenomianl BHP brought about by having short stroke, high revving petrol engines. Diesel engines have longer stroke, lower revving engines which produces high torque. The re-map done to my car by the same person who did Ian's & Tony's, has IMO exploited the available torque and capabilities of this diesel engine. The significant and noticeable increase in the torque now produced is ideal for use on the road and real world driving. Over-taking in this car was executed with relative ease pre re-map, now it is effortless TBH. Just where you need it surely.

I have noticed that in manual mode the car does not rev. out quite as high as before the re-map ie. the car is changing up a gear of its own violation at about 4500/4700 rpm. I am assuming this is related to the sensors in the auto box picking up the increase in torque and compensating accordingly? This has in no way diminished the way the car hits ridiculous speeds in a short space of time, as you simply catch the power curve coming back and continue to acclerate using the available torque.

I appreciate that I have not had my car on a dyno before or since the re-map, but ultimately I am more than pleased with the results and have noticed a slight gain in mpg. Important to remember though, that if you 'give it some' the mpg will be slightly worse than pre re-map mpg returns. For me the way the engine now delivers its power is ideally suited for real world driving.
I agree apart from the top end comment - I haven't noticed any drop off here.

I must add that the dyno chart does not reflect what I feel driving - I wonder if there are other software limits being pushed here? On both dyno runs the car come off the rollers showing tyre pressure faults and abs failure codes - what else does the ecu pick up? Also, despite the fans, the air flow is seriously at odds with what the car would 'expect' and I would imagine that the transmission and engine temps would be above normal. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:29 PM   #79
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Mike, when in manual mode the car would always change up a gear when the red line was reached, I am assuming that this is something to do with the sensors within the auto box protecting the drive train? Since the re-map, the auto box has decided to change up a gear slightly earlier within the rev range as I previously stated. Again I am assuming for the same reasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #80
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
actually BB this could be your box Learning the way you drive.

Try disconnecting the battery for an hour, it's easy takes two minutes, plus the Hour

And you'll only need to reset the clock

SJ
      12-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #81
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Simon generally resets the gearbox on the map (not in my case as the protocols have changed) so this shouldn't be an issue unless BB made the fatal mistake of driving the car like she had to pay for the service.

Has anyone tried the 'reset' method posted elsewhere (ignition on, foot on acellerator for 25 secs) with any joy?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #82
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
I agree apart from the top end comment - I haven't noticed any drop off here.

I must add that the dyno chart does not reflect what I feel driving - I wonder if there are other software limits being pushed here? On both dyno runs the car come off the rollers showing tyre pressure faults and abs failure codes - what else does the ecu pick up? Also, despite the fans, the air flow is seriously at odds with what the car would 'expect' and I would imagine that the transmission and engine temps would be above normal. Any ideas?
Tony, is yours still red lining in manual mode then, is this what you mean about top end comment?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #83
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah - it pulls all the way there.

Mind you, I abused the car from 500 yards from the dealer on the day I picked it up .........
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #84
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post

Beemerbird, you summed up exactly why I purchased the 335d. Real world driving pre or post remap it's an easy to drive car with plenty in reserve.
      12-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #85
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I guess this is how it could be with a better top end:
http://www.hartge.de/UploadPDF/E92%2...2012350286.pdf
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #86
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
actually BB this could be your box Learning the way you drive.

Try disconnecting the battery for an hour, it's easy takes two minutes, plus the Hour

And you'll only need to reset the clock

SJ
Simon did re-set the gearbox as mine is an August 07 build. I'll have to try the disconnecting the battery method. The clock of course is dead easy to set via the idrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
Simon generally resets the gearbox on the map (not in my case as the protocols have changed) so this shouldn't be an issue unless BB made the fatal mistake of driving the car like she had to pay for the service.

Has anyone tried the 'reset' method posted elsewhere (ignition on, foot on acellerator for 25 secs) with any joy?
Tony, when Simon asked me to test the car when he'd finished the re-map, I obviously drove it like a granny worrying about servicing costs Baffled why that flickering light kept coming on though.

Haven't heard of that other 'reset' method though. Tomorrow, other buggers on the road notwithstanding, I'm going to try and see if it will red line in 'D', 'DS' and 'M' mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #87
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

or like this:

http://www.ziptuning.nl/chiptuning/c...d=1548&lang=NL
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #88
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant