E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Devils own uk

07-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Devils own uk

Hi everyone,
I run Vargas GC turbos with port methanol injection. The meth is the Coolingmist version from Burger Tuning. Well this week I found my solenoid to be leaking so I ordered a 12v one from Devils Own UK. The solenoid immediately got red hot and nearly set fire to my car. It's supposed to be 12v solenoid. Nowhere does it state on their site that it is or isn't for specific meth controllers.
I paid £74.80 for it and it lasted 3 seconds before melting. A single 3rd gear pull.
I reported this to the owner, Bruce who said it's not for use with a JB4. Again, no where does it state this on their site. I asked about a refund and now he's saying no because it has been misused. What would you guys do? This seems ridiculous to me.
I have a partially melted solenoid. It got so hot the solder must have come off shedding one of the wires. Surely I can claim on a credit card or with PayPal if he's going to be such a dick about it?
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 01:17 AM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

buying parts for your car is your responsibility,,if they had specifically stated it was suited to your car wjith all mods,,then you have a shout,,but thats the only way you could maybe claim...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 03:59 AM   #3
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

under full power for 3 seconds, the solenoid should not be melting.
The JB4 FSB puts out 1.5 amps. The solenoid is rated for 4.75 amps. Always 12 volts.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

This is an easy one: Chargeback!

Like you say the item description should have all the disclaimers!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 03:25 AM   #5
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Easy buddy, been a while.

Did you pay by CC? If so then claim it back through them but I'd definitely fight it as if there is nowhere stating that it is not compatible then he can't say that's the reason for not refunding.
      07-06-2018, 05:09 AM   #6
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Easy buddy, been a while.

Did you pay by CC? If so then claim it back through them but I'd definitely fight it as if there is nowhere stating that it is not compatible then he can't say that's the reason for not refunding.
He now said he'd do a refund purely because i'm a loyal customer.
I've bought about 15 nozzles. 6x DO1s which I ran with stock turbos and port meth injection. Then 7 DO3s which I run with the GCs. A DO12 for the charge pipe and I think I bought a DO7 one some other time as well. Plus hose and 6 way block etc.

So I've posted the nozzle back at my own expense. I'm pretty sure that from distance selling regulations I can reject an item within 14 days of recieving it. If I'm not covered by that then the consumer rights act should cover me.

Whatever happens, if I dont get the full price back then it will be through the chargeback method. I've tried to be amicable.

I bought the item through paypal using a visa debit card. This whole faf is a real pain in the ass.

As far as I understand circuits, I thought I should be able to touch the solenoid to the battery and it should only draw the 4.75 amps it requires. Now I know it can only operate on full for 15 seconds, but my full throttle test, through the JB4 and FSB was probably 3 seconds. The solenoid should not be melting itself and the solder.

The jb4 fsb only delivers 1.5 amps, so I'm very confused by the failure. I believe the item is faulty. He stated that it's only designed for the PWM style devils own controllers and I pointed out that the JB4 now has this function. Constant bull*hit from this guy. Regardless of whether it had PWM or not the solenoid should be able to function at 100% duty cycle for 3 seconds and not destroy itself. I burned my hand in the process of checking the solenoid and it was stil red hot. Too hot to touch some 15 mins later.

Plastic sticker on the outside melted. A wire fell out as I believe the solder melted.

11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

This piece of crap has fried my fsb so I'll need to buy one of those as well now.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:39 AM   #8
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

Bruce is a good guy generally, I'm glad it got sorted in the end regardless of the amount of custom you've given him.
Appreciate 0