E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d oil leak at boost hose

03-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #67
MPTREE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i m sport, manual

well ...the dealer-Dick lovett, Bristol, was trying to say that the hose was not covered under warranty and it is a perishible item!!...I argued that the hose & clips had failed, the hose was found to be split...I said common fault, they said not seen one before ??...bullshit I said...anyway they finally agreed to do the job under warranty, although I had to cough up £16.99 for a litre of oil....shows how much was lost !!....got the car back tonight & what a difference...much more pull from the off, mid range & top end, so I'm happy at last, but had to keep my cool with the dealer, they really tried it on...wish they never washed it though, left white water marks everywhere, after I super resin polished it on Sunday !...seriously, if you've got a 335d, you must check out this problem....cheers to the forum
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #68
mistry
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 530D

thats a very different service to what I got, they changed the seal for me without any problems on the same day. They also washed the car and they did a great job on the wheels which surprised me as they normally come back with just a quick rinse. (225s are pain to clean)

Although I don't think they are the best dealers I've had problems in the past with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #69
MPTREE
Private First Class
Rep

Mistry

did you purchase your motor from them ? I got mine privatley....just goes to show... you've had your hose replaced with no queries....the reaction I got was they never seen this problem before,,,like I was the first one ever....confirms my point, they're bloddy liars.... I genuinley have no axe to grind....just want what's right..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #70
mistry
Captain
Rep

No I brought it from Sytner HW.

Although they didn't change the hose, just a seal. They said the hose was fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #71
richy_335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e91 335d m sport

I too have discovered this problem, phoned my local dealer, they said there was nothing on the computer relating to this problem, so rang bmw customer services who said a PUMA case is opened to an individual car, and would not automatically apply to all cars, so I guess I'll have to take it in and pay them to check it out first.

How much does the replacement pipe cost out of interest?

thanks

Richy
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #72
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by richy_335d View Post
I too have discovered this problem, phoned my local dealer, they said there was nothing on the computer relating to this problem, so rang bmw customer services who said a PUMA case is opened to an individual car, and would not automatically apply to all cars, so I guess I'll have to take it in and pay them to check it out first.

thanks

Richy
Sounds odd.

When I spoke to my dealer about this, and told them there was this PUMA thing open on it, they seemed to know what it all meant.

When I then dropped the car off they told me they had got the details off PUMA and ordered the required parts in so that they could get the job done there and then.

Sounds like an excuse to get some more money out of you to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #73
richy_335d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
Sounds odd.

When I spoke to my dealer about this, and told them there was this PUMA thing open on it, they seemed to know what it all meant.

When I then dropped the car off they told me they had got the details off PUMA and ordered the required parts in so that they could get the job done there and then.

I think your right there mate, what was the dealership you spoke to, just so I'm prepared next time I ring mine.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #74
richy_335d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sounds odd.

I think your right there mate, what was the dealership you spoke to, just so I'm prepared next time I ring mine.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #75
richy_335d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sounds odd.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #76
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks
My local dealer is Listers (previously Taylors) in Boston and to be fair, I think myself lucky when I hear some of the stories others on here have to say about their dealers.

They might not be perfect and are not very big, they have also messed up on more than one occasion but they do give a damn about keeping their customers happy and coming back.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #77
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks
My local dealer is Listers (previously Taylors) in Boston and to be fair, I think myself lucky when I hear some of the stories others on here have to say about their dealers.

They might not be perfect and are not very big, they have also messed up on more than one occasion but they do give a damn about keeping their customers happy and coming back.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #78
MPTREE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

thanks

Richy
About £200 for the new hose + clips + labour £99+ vat per hour !!.....glad I put my foot down and got it done under extended warranty !
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #79
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Sorry, but out of warranty this should still be done out of Goodwill
      03-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #80
richy_335d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Sorry, but out of warranty this should still be done out of Goodwill
I agree with this!!!

They should take a leaf out of toyotas book, at least you know when you have a toyota any issue with design is replaced no matter what the cost, bmw just bury their heads in the sand and say nothing
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #81
mistry
Captain
Rep

since having this done, I can honestly say the MPG has greatly improved, just done a 320 mile trip and still got about half a tank of fuel. 90% was motorway driving doing average motorway speed (not tanking it nor driving like a grannie) and it returned 41mpg. similar trips used to be around 37-38.

As for performance it feels the same.

That said I also had a software update at the same time, so not sure if that also contributed to the increase in mpg.

Well worth getting this done, thanks again to e90post for bringing this to my attention.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #82
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F12 640d M Sport

Found this post through bmwland. Have checked mine today and oil is everywhere! All of the boost pipe and on the tray.

Checked the oil level and it was on the minimum so have topped that up and will be booking it in tomorrow.

My car has only done 17K so better be done under warranty!

Do you think i should insist on having the new pipe fitted and not just the seal? It will be going to Sytner Newport, last time i had to take the car in for something and mentioned a forum they basically rubbished anything i told them and that notice should not be taken of forums. This annoyed me some what as i think they are invaluable, had it not been for the forum i doubt i would of ever noticed this fault with the oil etc.

Is the car still 'safe' to drive now, i.e. will i be causing any damage to the engine driving it until the issue is fixed?

I have thought or a while my car feels slightly down on power to what im used to which makes me think there may be a slight split in the pipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #83
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Car is safe to drive.

under what conditions did you check the oil!?
      03-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #84
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Engine was hot, had been driving for about 30 miles and checked when i got home. Had no warning light telling me that oil was low so have topped up just over half a litre.

Is it best to check it again when it is cooler?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #85
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Ok thats fine then. With the 335d it needs to be warmed through to check.

When I first got mine a few times i checked cold and it was on minimum and I panicked then read manwel and then checked when hot and was on maximum.
      03-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #86
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

cheers, was worried i was going to damage the engine!

Do you think it is worth insisting on a new boost hose or let them do what they think is best and take it from there? Im not very mechanically minded but dont want to get fobbed off!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #87
MPTREE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonl1983 View Post
cheers, was worried i was going to damage the engine!

Do you think it is worth insisting on a new boost hose or let them do what they think is best and take it from there? Im not very mechanically minded but dont want to get fobbed off!

Thanks
insist on a new hose mate....
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #88
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Tell Sytner Newport that their company sponsor this forum.