E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90s are safe after all...

03-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
E90s are safe after all...

I hope this will drop some insurance rates...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/03/02/...ion/index.html
      03-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Does this mean that BMW is changing the seats in the e90 for March production cars?

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res.../head_bmw.html
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
BMW and Lexus earn 'Top Safety Pick': Based on these test results plus results released last year, nine moderately priced to luxury midsize models earn the 'Top Safety Pick' award for performance in front, side, and rear tests. Both the BMW and Lexus earn the silver award, but this award applies only to 3 series models manufactured after February, 2006, when BMW redesigned the head restraints to improve performance in the rear test.

"Results for the BMW and Lexus show that manufacturers can design cars to protect people in the three most common kinds of crashes that lead to injuries," Lund says.

'Top Safety Pick' winners represent an elite fraction of the car market. Winners of the gold award have good ratings in the Institute's frontal offset and side impact tests, and their seat/head restraints are rated good for protection from neck injuries in rear impacts. Silver awards go to vehicles with good performance in the front and side crash tests plus acceptable seat/head restraint ratings.

I better get some new complementary headrests!!

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]

And goddamitt!

The BMW 3 series was redesigned for the 2006 model year. Beginning with 2006 models manufactured after November 2005, changes were made to the side airbags and door trim panels to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). The tested car was manufactured after modifications had been made.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 10:04 PM   #5
magamaga
-
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Per CNN also:

---------------------------------------------

Editors' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2006

Most Wanted Sedan Under $35,000

Winner: BMW 3 Series

Despite the risk of messing with success, BMW completely revamped its entry-level ultimate driving machine for 2006. Luckily, the result is an even better 3 Series with a bolder look, revised suspension and braking, more power and more interior space. Available in two models, the 325 gets a 3.0-liter, inline six-cylinder power plant that makes 215 horsepower and 185 pound-feet of torque, while the 330 uses a higher-performance version of the same engine, which generates 255 hp and 220 lb-ft of torque. The 3 Series might cost more than the other competitors, but in this case there's no doubt that you get what you pay for.

Honorable Mention: Audi A4

Perhaps in anticipation of the new BMW 3 Series, the Audi A4 also received a number of upgrades in mid-2005. It wasn't a complete overhaul, but enough to make its package even more appealing. Although its platform, interior and overall dimensions are basically the same as before, new exterior sheet metal gives the A4 a sportier look. The updated A4 also boasts a reworked front and rear suspension that picks up numerous components from the high-performance Audi S4, plus two new direct-injection gasoline engines are fitted to the engine bay: A 200-horsepower turbocharged 2.0-liter and a 3.2-liter with 255 hp. Inside, the A4 is more sumptuous than the 3 Series, and best of all you'll be saving cash by choosing it over the BMW.
325i Sparkling Graphite/Navigation/Steptronic/HeatedSeats/ DRL Angel Eyes/Metal Pedals/Tail Pipe Tips/Rear BMW Spoiler/BMWAlarm/LoJack/BlackLineTailLights/Hardwired BeltronicsProfessionalRX65RadarDetector/Rear FogLights/Debadged/LUX 5.0/ACS Roof Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #6
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Now I am pissed.... once again the early production people get screwed. BMW tested this car and then NCAP so they new the issues before production. Now they are saying the head rests are being switched and :"The BMW 3 series was redesigned for the 2006 model year. Beginning with 2006 models manufactured after November 2005, changes were made to the side airbags and door trim panels to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). The tested car was manufactured after modifications had been made."

So what does that mean? Everyone before November gets shafted and the car is less safe then we thought? If there are design issues is there going to be a recall???? Yes I know things change and all that but the safety and integrity of a model usually does not get changed in the first model year unless there is a notable issue. I also find it interesting that it happened in November when all the published goodie upgrades happened in September and this was never discussed. I doubt they will issue a recall but it still pisses me off to no end and makes me a feel less safe now.
      03-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #7
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

The price for being a beta-tester.

after November 2005, changes were made to the side airbags and door trim panels to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes

Hmm...I wonder what production week this took place?

Frontal: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=561

Side Impact: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=622

Head Rest: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res.../head_bmw.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
I better get some new complementary headrests!!

Pipe Dream. It is not a defect so there won't be a recall. If you look at the IIHS info on the head rest, majority of the BMWs listed did poorly.

Last edited by SCA; 03-05-2006 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #8
imageWIS
Audi Roamer…
Rep
Drives: 06' Audi A4 2.0T

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by magamaga
Per CNN also:

---------------------------------------------

Editors' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2006

Most Wanted Sedan Under $35,000

Winner: BMW 3 Series

Despite the risk of messing with success, BMW completely revamped its entry-level ultimate driving machine for 2006. Luckily, the result is an even better 3 Series with a bolder look, revised suspension and braking, more power and more interior space. Available in two models, the 325 gets a 3.0-liter, inline six-cylinder power plant that makes 215 horsepower and 185 pound-feet of torque, while the 330 uses a higher-performance version of the same engine, which generates 255 hp and 220 lb-ft of torque. The 3 Series might cost more than the other competitors, but in this case there's no doubt that you get what you pay for.

Honorable Mention: Audi A4

Perhaps in anticipation of the new BMW 3 Series, the Audi A4 also received a number of upgrades in mid-2005. It wasn't a complete overhaul, but enough to make its package even more appealing. Although its platform, interior and overall dimensions are basically the same as before, new exterior sheet metal gives the A4 a sportier look. The updated A4 also boasts a reworked front and rear suspension that picks up numerous components from the high-performance Audi S4, plus two new direct-injection gasoline engines are fitted to the engine bay: A 200-horsepower turbocharged 2.0-liter and a 3.2-liter with 255 hp. Inside, the A4 is more sumptuous than the 3 Series, and best of all you'll be saving cash by choosing it over the BMW.
And the A4 now has the same breaks as the last gen (B6) S4, but a smaller diameter.

I’ve mentioned this before but:

A4: Nicer interior and suspension

3: More fun to drive and better balance.

Jon.

Jon.

Sucker love is heaven sent.
You pucker up, our passion’s spent.
My hearts a tart, your body’s rent.
My body’s broken, yours is spent.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #9
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Yes, I would like complimentary headrests as well. WTF !?

Seriously though, does anyone know when the head restraint changes will actually be implemented?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #10
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
And the A4 now has the same breaks as the last gen (B6) S4, but a smaller diameter.

I’ve mentioned this before but:

A4: Nicer interior and suspension

3: More fun to drive and better balance.

Jon.

Jon.
Hey Jon,
I will give you the interior BUT I will NOT give you the suspension, there is no way. I have both cars and the BMW suspension is hands down better, as is the driving dynamics. Yeah and I know all that 4 link crap in the front and trapezoidal in the rear of the Audi and yes it drives nice. The BMW has that as well.....the new 3 has a double pivot in the front (4 link) and 5 link in the rear. Both cars are aluminum suspension. The balance is also a big plus with the E90. If you are talking about the XI well that is a different animal BUT the new gen is not raised up like the previous gen!!! Best of luck and they are both great cars!
      03-06-2006, 01:11 AM   #11
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Are the sport seats and regular seats head rests the same?

So who's the first to contact their stealership and find out any info on this? Or is it better to goto BMW NA?

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 02:43 AM   #12
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA
The price for being a beta-tester.

after November 2005, changes were made to the side airbags and door trim panels to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes

Hmm...I wonder what production week this took place?

Frontal: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=561

Side Impact: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=622

Head Rest: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res.../head_bmw.html

Pipe Dream. It is not a defect so there won't be a recall. If you look at the IIHS info on the head rest, majority of the BMWs listed did poorly.
Only software changes were made

There have been no airbag hardware changes ( dont know where they come up with door trim, since it hasnt been changed )
      03-06-2006, 03:00 AM   #13
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

I have just checked the March 2006 parts programme and there are NO changes to headrests for the E90, and no plans for their change listed
      03-06-2006, 03:05 AM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

There are NO seat changes in March at all, and no future ones listed
      03-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #15
xdrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330xi

I am confused! IIHS rates the BMW E90 as manufactured AFTER feb 06 and BEFORE March 06... Is it just me or doesn't anyone see the problem with the dates STATED? So if your car is produced after Feb 06, doesn't that also mean it's produced before March 06??? WTF!

Check out the DATES in the CHART.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #16
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrive
I am confused! IIHS rates the BMW E90 as manufactured AFTER feb 06 and BEFORE March 06... Is it just me or doesn't anyone see the problem with the dates STATED? So if your car is produced after Feb 06, doesn't that also mean it's produced before March 06??? WTF!

Check out the DATES in the CHART.

After February is all cars produced starting March 1
Before March is all cars produced ending Feb 28.

Before March cars are the ones that have the lesser headrests, and the after march are the new and improved ones.

What agitates me is more the side impact testing that states the car was changes in November to improve the airbags for a side impact.

If E90Fleet is correct, maybe it was a software change and the info that IIHS has is incorrect??? I just hate being a safety BETA tester when this car had some many pre production crashes and NCAP testing before it ever hit the market. Someone missed something or maybe not???
      03-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #17
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul
After February is all cars produced starting March 1
Before March is all cars produced ending Feb 28.

Before March cars are the ones that have the lesser headrests, and the after march are the new and improved ones.

What agitates me is more the side impact testing that states the car was changes in November to improve the airbags for a side impact.

If E90Fleet is correct, maybe it was a software change and the info that IIHS has is incorrect??? I just hate being a safety BETA tester when this car had some many pre production crashes and NCAP testing before it ever hit the market. Someone missed something or maybe not???
Your "beta" car scored 17 out of 18 in the side impact test on the EURONCAP test which is MUCH stricter than the IIHS one.
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...?id1=3&id2=225

(wondering about strictness?? The Chev Aveo gets 5 stars in the US test and 1,5 stars in the EuroNCAP test )

No side airbags have been changed, and no headreasts or seat parts
Years ago they stated the X5 also changed something on the airbags after the test, and that was also just a software change.

But parts will change over the E90's life. They do in all models
Just because it may be slightly safer than the previous part doesnt mean they will change previous cars.
So then all cars will be "beta" models till the very last ones produced
      03-06-2006, 09:41 AM   #18
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

I wonder which category my car applies to...started production late February and ended yesterday..
      03-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #19
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmde786
I wonder which category my car applies to...started production late February and ended yesterday..
Yours would be a Feb car
March cars only started today ( week 10 )

Its the day your car starts final assembly after the 1 day body storage after painting. ( assembly from here takes only a few hours )

Only takes about 48 hours to build it from the mettal up, and thats with a built in hold (body storage ), but then it goes into quality control and shipping preparation and storage till it leaves the factory.

It seems the online customer systems only show it as complete when its been through all the preparations, eventhough it was "built" days ago
      03-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #20
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
damn, i hope E90fleet is right because my car was produced in november so i guess "after november" wouldn't apply to me :mad:
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 11:05 AM   #21
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
damn, i hope E90fleet is right because my car was produced in november so i guess "after november" wouldn't apply to me :mad:

Also built in November @ the end of the month. The VIN sticker on my car states 12/05. Finished production prior to the 1st of Dec.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #22
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Your "beta" car scored 17 out of 18 in the side impact test on the EURONCAP test which is MUCH stricter than the IIHS one.
The ENCAP side test is less severe than the IIHS test.

IIHS-The test configuration resulting from this research is a 31 mph (50 km/h) perpendicular impact into the driver side of a passenger vehicle. The moving deformable barrier that strikes the test vehicle weighs 3,300 pounds (1,500 kg) and has a front end shaped to simulate the typical front end of a pickup or SUV. In each side-struck vehicle are two instrumented SID-IIs dummies representing a small (5th percentile) female or a 12-year-old adolescent. These dummies are positioned in the driver seat and the rear seat behind the driver.
ENCAP- The trolley barrier in the ENCAP test is 950kg at 50kph, translated as 2100 lbs, 30 mph.
So the IIHS test is faster by 1mph. and 1200lbs. (550 kg). heavier
Both hit in the same location but the IIHS is higher and is based on being hit by a SUV (worse case scenario).

My original point about being a Beta tester was not one that cars do not evolve and change and get better. The safety systems do not usually change in the first year of production, that makes no sense, they put enough research into the car and test it over and over again. I still believe the car to be one of the safest on the road, I just to not get why they are making changes now if they had the data before, that is what pisses me off. Especially they are simple changes that did not take them redesigning complete components etc. A headrest design that is inadequate now was inadequate then, and seriously how hard is it to change a headrest... not like you need to take the car apart to do it. I am sure that BMW crashed 100's of cars in real life and thousands of simulations and they did not think to change the headrests before they released the car?